Noir on DVD
Hi all. I was just wondering if anyone knows where I can get the Noir 5 DVD boxset by MI for a relatively reasonable price. I've visited countless stores and they go as high as $80. I've searched for it on ebay frequently, but it's a rare occurance and prone to bidding wars Rolleyes.

OR should I get the ADV versions?

OR should I wait until ADV releases the entire series and wait for FX/MI/etc rip????

thanks,
DP Cool
Love is like heaven but hurts like hell.
Hey

Check here:

http://www.animediscount.net/list.php?show=let&let=n
cookiejarvideo.com
Domo arigato, guys! yakumo, do you happen to know the shipping and handling fee for animediscount?
Quote:Originally posted by dailyplanet
Domo arigato, guys! yakumo, do you happen to know the shipping and handling fee for animediscount?

Hi,

Around $10, it depends on where you live, however, add it to paypal and goto checkout and it tells you how much.
the shipping for animediscount is relative for how many discs/sets you are ordering. i dont think they charge extra for international orders because i dont see any link on their site about shipping. they charged me $18 for spending $100 on two kenshin boxsets with 12 discs in total. this is quite cheap considering most sites charge like $15-20 for any international order plus more if you spend loads of dosh, well except JJ that is Big Grin. it could prove quite cheap if only ordering one set or two.
How is the Noir 3 DVD AC/MAC set, is it a rip of the 5 DVD MI set or the shitty 4 DVD AS set
It's a rip of the MI set. It was in a post a while ago.
Forgive my ignorance guys Wink , but would anyone care to enlighten me on the differences between all these import companies (MI, FX, MAC, AS, etc)? Is there a preference? Until now I didn't know rips of rips existed...
Each company has their good and their bad. They all are seperate, so usually they all might throw out a release of the same series.

I prefer FX usually, I hate MI's subtitle fonts though, and how they always burn their logos over video. I've had no MAC experience, and AS can be really good, but their best point is their rips. AV is pretty good, and they've started to do much much better now then when they first started.
Here's a basic Breakdown:

AC/MI - I think they made a majority of the HK DVDs that are out there. Their quality ranges from Godly to God-Awful. Their quality is variable in other words. They are good at encoding video, so unless the source is bad, the video should be pretty good. Their subs are dependant on whether or not fansub scripts exist. If they don't, the subs tend to be engrishy. Check the reviews to see what there is. Most of their sets aren't ripped from anywhere beyond the original R1, R2, R3, VHS or LD sets they get.

AV - Their catalog consists of half original rips, and half rips that they rip from other companies. A few sets they made were really spectacular, but most of the sets they made aren't all that hot. Recently, AV has switched from releasing good rips to making DVDs of VHS TV Rips. The subs vary from being decent to be total crap

AS/MAC - Their catalog is variable as well. If they rip from other HK Companies, the AS line tends to compress the set either by moving some episodes onto other discs (Gundam W went from 5 DVDs to 4 DVDs) or switching from DVD-9 DVDs to DVD-5 DVDs (Kare Kano For example). If it's part of the Mac or AC line, then the rips tend to be Direct Rips (except in Noir's case, where they turned 4 DVD-5s and a DVD-9 into 3 DVD-9s). Some of their R1 rips are outstanding, and others have problems with missing subs.

FX - This company deals exclusively with Ripping R1 DVDs. They have a reputation of having poor video quality since they don't encode the DVDs well (CBR instead of VBR). Mac and FX are in contention for best R1 ripper. Most would say they like FX better, however, they have their share of flaws as well. Some series apparently are ripped crap wise (Trigun had crap subs), others have some other problems, Eva (the 4 DVD set that is supposedly unknown is made by FX) and Kenshin both have audio desync problems. Most of their other rips are flawless however.
Quote:FX - This company deals exclusively with Ripping R1 DVDs.

FX have also ripped other stuff too that isn't R1, such as Macross DYRL? and Macross 7.
Welcome to my world.
wow, dvd_master and especially kakumo, thanks for the run-down. From the various reviews I've read so far, most prefer FX simply because they rip from R1s. Thanks again guys, you've made my shopping decisions a whole lot easier! Big Grin

DP
you really should check the reviews for what company makes the best version of the set you want. thats the way i do it, i dont really have any prefered company although ive noticed the best results from MAC and FX
A majority of my collection is MI. However, I'm willing to bet Mac and AC/Mac has ripped most of what I own...