Playstation 2 Skipping
I'm wondering if any other PS2 owners have noticed a problem that I have.

On the first disc of my Berserk HK set (Anime Cartoon), the 9th episode skips and causes the Playstation2 to give an "Unable to Read Disc" message.

This also happens on one of the episodes on the second disc of my Cowboy Bebop : The Perfect Sessions HK set (FX).

Is this a purely PS2 reading problem or are the disc faulty?
Reid
cant comment on that exact problem but I heard alot of PS2 having problems to play HK DVDs where other stand alone and DVD ROMs played fine.
YES =( PS2 bites hard when it comes to HK DVD's =(

Although my Berserk did not have the problems that yours did I was unable to watch all of the Escaflowne movie from AC =(

Basically I have noticed that on DVD 5 discs my ps2 is problematic. With DVD 9 discs I have had almost no problems. Keyword ALMOST.

Heck It's not just Imports either I have had skipping and unable to read on my R1 Shrek DVD =(
-I's not a Vampire, I just play one on T.V.
I have to agree with everyone else, the PS2 gives lots of problems with all sorts of DVDs. Buying the PS2 Remote from Sony with the new driver updates helps but doesn't solve the problem. I've had a lot less problem with skipping since installing the new drivers.

The other thing I do to solve my problems is clean the DVD with this compound in a purple tube (I'm too lazy to go downstairs to look at the name right now). It's designed for CDs and I bought it at my local Microplay. There hasn't been a disc yet that a good cleaning hasn't allowed me to read... too bad it's such a pain having to do this at all.
Gullible isn't in the dictionary.
The PS2 in my opinion is the worst DVD player ever when it comes reading HK dvds..I have one of the original versions of PS2 and it always would play fine up until a point and then the skipping noise would occur and then the unable to read message would pop up..Down below I listed some Dvds that would always give me problems:
  • Vision of Escaflowne
  • Berserk
  • Gatchaman
  • Fushigi Yuugi the English dub version

Then I would go to my friend's house and then they would play fine..Also, it could be that your PS2's eye is messed up because I know people who treated thier systems like new born babies and it would still mess up..I got my eye changed and it began to work but still some problems would still come up..for example I cant even watch my R1 Evangelion Dvds anymore because the system wouldn't even recognize it..well I hope this helps out.
I have found alot of R1 dvds that won't play on the PS2. =(

'The Emperors new groove' is the first one that comes to mind.. and thats a Disney film! Worked fine in every other DVD player I used.

Weird stuff, hopefully Sony will make a patch disk.
Sony has released a patch but it is only available with the remote control.
The patch cleared up a lot of problems. Not all but enough to make it worth while.

My biggest gripe is that you have to pay for the remote to get the patch. By releasing the patch, Sony has as much as acknowledged that there is a problem with the drivers but not done anything to compensate owners with substandard drivers.

If anyone in the Hamilton area wants the drivers installed on their PS2, feel free to email me and I'll arrange to get together and update them for you.
Maybe I should pick up the controller for the drivers.

How much is it exactly (in Canadian or American dollars)?

By the by, I live in Guelph.
Reid
I think I paid around $30 for mine at Future Shop. I use the remote more than the controllers too. It's really handy to have.

If you just want the drivers and are heading down to Hamilton any time in the near future, just bring your memory card along. The system stores the driver info on the memory card so I don't need the whole machine.

I did have a wierd experience tonight though. I was watching Tron (the Disney release) and the picture did an odd pixelization. It was like the screen became a green checker board floating on top of the movie. I had to turn the system off then on to get it to go back to normal.

The main point of all these posts is that Sony was kind enough to make a game machine (which works really well as a game machine) that plays some DVDs without any trouble. I have watched the FX Outlaw Star series without any problem and a thorough disc cleaning has fixed most other problems.

If you have the PS2, get the remote for the drivers. I can't stress enough how much of a difference they make. The remote is handy too (too bad it doesn't light up though). And the offer stands for anyone in the Hamilton aread who wants to stop by with a memory card to get the drivers from me.