A question of offensiveness
gubi-gubi Wrote:You can feel how ever you want to feel, nobody can stop that. But it sounds like you do have a problem with gay people. Not in the most obvious way of hating all gay people but still have some issues about it. I am gay so I can only say how it makes me feel, but it's like saying 'oh I don't have a problem with you but everything you do makes me sick'. It's like the people an politicians who say oh you're free to be gay in the privacy of your own home but not infont of straight people, why should they have to see that? How can people have equality when we should have to hide ourselves from people who might get offended?

I understand what you're trying to say and perhaps Blight does have some deep inner problem with gay people but perhaps he just doesn't feel confortable with it.
I can understand that, I think it's a matter of being used to it. We grow up seeing heterosexuals kiss and have sex (on movies, real life (the kissing part!!!), etc) so it's something we're used to but it's not so often that we see gay people kissing (I've only seen it on tv) so we might feel unconfortable. Let me try to explain this better. I suppose you're thinking that if I don't feel confortable about it then it's because I don't truly think it's normal right? But that's not it. It's just that society does differentiate between homosexuals and heterosexuals. People who have no problem whatsoever with it do that, even homosexuals do that. It doesn't mean it's wrong, it doesn't mean one is better than the other, it means it's viewed differently. And of course, being gay still carries a negative connotation (unfortunately) which is why gays don't display their affection in public in the same way heteros do. Because there is this notion of difference and because it's not something that we're used to seeing everyday, we might feel a bit awkward about it. In my case if I see people kissing on the street I don't even look twice but if a couple of friends of mine kiss in front of me I'll just blush from ear to ear and feel like getting the hell out of there, it doesn't really matter if they're gay or not. Why? Because I'm not used to it, my friends don't usually kiss in front of me, it makes me feel very out of place.
This sort of situation can also be observed in old people. Old people, at least the ones around here, don't like to see couples kissing on the street, they think it's disgusting. This is due to the fact that 'back in the days' this sort of thing didn't happen, they feel shocked by it, but that doesn't mean they think it's wrong for a man and a woman to be together.
But now here's the thing. Do you think couples will stop kissing in public just so they won't offend these old people? Right! Rolleyes They don't and they shouldn't. Why? Because it's their right! It's not against the law, it's not doing anybody any harm so why should they stop? Same goes for gay people! They don't have to hide just because some people might feel unconfortable. If people don't like it then they just have to look away.

I do have to say that while society needs to change there are some gay people who need to change too. My best friend is gay and he's been dating a guy for years. Every single year I've invited him to my birthday dinner but this year was the first time he decided to come. Not because we was busy in the past but because he knew my friends and I all knew about it and he wasn't okay with it, because he has a problem accepting himself. He's more open now but in the beginning it was really hard to get so much as a word out of him and according to my friend it's because I knew he was gay. Apparently he had no problem talking to people who knew nothing about it. In this case he was the one who had a problem with it, not me. Of course, I'm relentless so I never gave up, mostly for my friend's sake.

Anyway, I think it's okay if Blight doesn't like it, if he doesn't feel confortable with it, so long as he respects it. The rest will come in time.

Just as a side note I'd like to say that I'm a bit suspicious of people like the girl Blight mentioned, people who are so fundamentalist they won't even try to put themselves in other people's shoes. It sounds to me like they're trying to convince themselves.
[Image: ergobanner0fy.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
A question of offensiveness - by Blight - 09-29-2006, 10:09 PM
A question of offensiveness - by Amethyst - 09-29-2006, 10:59 PM
A question of offensiveness - by gubi-gubi - 10-01-2006, 07:54 AM
A question of offensiveness - by gubi-gubi - 10-02-2006, 01:55 AM
A question of offensiveness - by Andromeda18_ - 10-02-2006, 08:02 PM
A question of offensiveness - by Blight - 10-02-2006, 10:16 PM
A question of offensiveness - by marka - 10-03-2006, 02:23 AM
A question of offensiveness - by gubi-gubi - 10-03-2006, 05:48 AM
A question of offensiveness - by Andromeda18_ - 10-03-2006, 05:54 PM
A question of offensiveness - by Homeless Joe - 10-04-2006, 07:59 AM