HOW 'BOUT THOSE TERRIBLE DUBS?
Ok a good time to do a sub versus dub debate. Obvisously everyone here is going to talk about dubs suck because they aren't "Japanese enough" or that they "sound terrible".

True I agree if anyone has seen Very Private Lessons, they would know that a dub such as that sucked beyond belief. The english voice of the mob boss' daughter was extremely annoying. Ofcourse this was a low budget production from early Anime Works.

Look at Princess Mononoke it was a simply amazing dub. The movie had a great feel with the dub. The voice actors blended well, and acted off each other.

Back in the day when Stream Line Pictures released anime, it was almost unheard of. Nobody was interested. So any Joe Average Voice Actor was good enough. They didn't record together, so it was just voice acting from actors spliced together. That made it sound almost funny.

Now I get annoyed too, when Matt Greenfield goes into right field with his dubs......Those Who Hunt Elves anyone? But seriosuly it does liven it up. Americana references in Those Who Hunt Elves were annoying but atleast the audience could make sense of it. Watching episode 11 (could be wrong) of Urusei Yatsura with people in a video rental store, I saw the downside of a sub. After losing to Ataru, Shutaro wanted to commit bloody Seppuku. Now this is serious, but then he doesn't bother with it because of all the hot girls. Nobody understood that, and the sub didn't convey that at all. *Breeze goes through the silence of the store........Whoosh* Seriously though watching subs are great but How many get the puns in Kodocha. Raise your hands now......that's what I thought. Without a lengthy explanation. Nobody (well English speakers) gets it. :mrgreen:
Steve_the_Talking_Pie: Hampsters Bumpin' and Grindin' Since '99.

Region 1: DVD Collection

Messages In This Thread
HOW 'BOUT THOSE TERRIBLE DUBS? - by DARK OSAMU - 09-20-2002, 06:47 PM
HOW 'BOUT THOSE TERRIBLE DUBS? - by Batz Kage - 09-20-2002, 07:29 PM
HOW 'BOUT THOSE TERRIBLE DUBS? - by -=WarArieS=- - 09-20-2002, 07:34 PM
HOW 'BOUT THOSE TERRIBLE DUBS? - by Steve_the_Talking_Pie - 09-21-2002, 07:19 PM
HOW 'BOUT THOSE TERRIBLE DUBS? - by Zagatto - 09-21-2002, 07:34 PM
HOW 'BOUT THOSE TERRIBLE DUBS? - by Schultz - 09-21-2002, 10:02 PM
HOW 'BOUT THOSE TERRIBLE DUBS? - by elly - 09-22-2002, 07:48 PM
HOW 'BOUT THOSE TERRIBLE DUBS? - by DARK OSAMU - 09-22-2002, 10:00 PM
HOW 'BOUT THOSE TERRIBLE DUBS? - by DARK OSAMU - 09-24-2002, 07:23 PM