Asians are turning into westerners!!
Robojack Wrote:Keep in mind that MOST Chinese people aren't doing this, only those who are infatuated with the Western definition of beauty. By nature, I'm already 5'11" and my eyes are plenty large enough. Don't associated all Chinese people with this article, just because some people are doing it. There are always people in society who don't fit the typical mold, and want to break out. This is just one of the ways.

I would never assume that all Chinese people do that, if for nothing else then for the simple fact that China has a very big population. Saying all of them are doing this kind of thing would be like saying that all women of a certain country are getting breast augmentation. I do have a friend who just spent 2 months in Taipei and she says that one thing she noticed was that women felt less beautiful than western women. Also, much to her surprise, she was continuously harassed by men which is something that doesn't happen at all here. This could lead me to believe that many Chinese are indeed infatuated with the western definition of beauty but then again it will probably still be less than 1% of the population. I just think that Western people are in no way more beautiful than Asian people so this kind of thing seems crazy from my point of view.

Robojack Wrote:I can tell you that most Chinese people are very proud of their heritage, and we're very proud of the economic and social progresses we've made over the past 20 years. We're very quickly becoming an influential economic power in the world, even South Korea and Japan don't have the jump on us for long.

Yes, I've been hearing a lot about China's progress. It's all over the news, my teachers talk about it, I read about it in magazines, etc. I just think that's a great thing for the Chinese, they deserve it. Apparently this progress poses a threat to Europe, since it seems Europe won't be able to cope with it, but I think it's more than about time that countries that have been undermined show the world that they too can progress and be wealthy.

CrayonShinChan Wrote:Well 200 ppl out of goodness knows how many chinese ppl, let alone Asians is not THAT alarming. I don't think the leg surgery will ever rival the popularity of the eyelid surgery. It sounds excruciating just reading about it. 0_o I don't think that Emma did it to get a job, it was for her own aesthetic reasons. If people can afford all that money for the surgery and all the money needed to support themselves when they are bed bound then they can't be that desperate for a job. Of course, such policies are plain wrong in the first place. Confused

Pale skin has long been held as a beauty standard in chinese history so i wouldn't say it is necessarily a western trend. Ppl with pale skin want tans and ppl with darker skins want pale skin... grass is always greener on the other side i guess.

I posted Emma's story just so you could read about the details of the operation. She's an American girl who did it because at the age of 16 she was smaller than her doctor's 8 year old daughter. Ultimately it was for aethetic reasons, at least that's the way I see it, but it was her doctor who suggested it.

CrayonShinChan Wrote:Pale skin has long been held as a beauty standard in chinese history so i wouldn't say it is necessarily a western trend. Ppl with pale skin want tans and ppl with darker skins want pale skin... grass is always greener on the other side i guess.

That's not necessarily true, you know. I have pale skin and I'm proud of it, I don't want to be tanned even though that's very appreciated here in Portugal. I could be, I live only some meters away from the beach and it's common for people here to have a tan during the summer, but I don't like it, I like my skin the way it is.
[Image: ergobanner0fy.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
Asians are turning into westerners!! - by tsunami - 10-25-2004, 05:48 PM
Asians are turning into westerners!! - by Andromeda18_ - 10-26-2004, 05:02 AM
Asians are turning into westerners!! - by rav96 - 10-27-2004, 11:13 AM
Asians are turning into westerners!! - by rav96 - 10-28-2004, 09:39 AM
Asians are turning into westerners!! - by Blight - 10-28-2004, 12:00 PM
Asians are turning into westerners!! - by -spike- - 10-28-2004, 12:03 PM
Asians are turning into westerners!! - by Blight - 10-29-2004, 11:21 AM
Asians are turning into westerners!! - by Zagatto - 10-29-2004, 02:56 PM
Asians are turning into westerners!! - by rav96 - 10-29-2004, 04:17 PM