Bandai's Taking Action Against Imports/Bootlegs
Quote:Originally posted by Vicious
No. It wasn't just 'dub-lovers'. Do any of you guys ever think...

Okay. I'm not a dub-basher, but I usually prefer subs, so I guess I'll respond to your rant because I can see you're itching for a fight. I'll play the dumb noob card (lol, even though I've been lurking here for over a year) and ignore the fact that clearly everyone else prefers to stay on topic.

First, it's true that some dubs receive popular approval by high ranking individuals within the Japanese animation industry who are theoretically much more qualified than us to judge them. Although I think there is a lot to be said for partaking in the director's original vision, there is always the possibility that a dubbing effort may capture his/her intent more fully than the original or, alternately, create a competing artistic vision equally worthy of hearing. The fact that it is not the original does not justify being closed-minded about its qualities. Art is art. Entertainment is entertainment. etc...

As for your point about understanding what is being said in Japanese, I fear that it isn't all that valid a point of contention. Just as I would not know if they were saying "screw you guys I'm going home," you also would not know if the original Japanese said that, because you would be listening to a dub. So, we're in the same boat and always will be until one of us learns Japanese.

I have always assumed that Kitsune's dubbed accent mirrored a more subtle Japanese accent that it was beyond my ability to detect. It could very well be that Japanese viewers find her equally abrasive in their own language. In that case, both versions would bite. But since the series is such trite drivel, I'm not sure why it would matter if the dub job was good or not, anyway.

Nonetheless, whether you are fluent in Japanese or not (and, what? you can't tell whether rocket scientists are doing a good job, Vicious? Your ego seems to have decreased from its usual standing), I still think that you can take a lot from listening to the original voice actors. Of course both subbies and dubbies are going to miss parts of the picture, and that's sad, but each party gets the most out of it according to what they want, so I don't really see why the big debate.

Messages In This Thread
Bandai's Taking Action Against Imports/Bootlegs - by lucien - 07-09-2004, 10:13 AM