Bandai's Taking Action Against Imports/Bootlegs
Quote:Originally posted by Yojimbo
Hey, companies do have the licenseing fees, Voice talent, translators, marketing, digital editors, etc... to pay. But I know I won't buy an HK of a series that goes for under $100 per 26 episodes... ADV releasing BGC 2040 and the like for $90.00 or less is an excellent deal. Search out and support the lower priced R1s if you want other companies to follow suit.

Some ppl obviously think that the studios in USA get the anime from Japan for free and there are no additional cost. Digital editors, marketers, translators, VA etc work for free for these studios, so they think.

I wonder what is considered as cheap R1s to people. $20-$30 for a brick? Well, you can get $20-$30 for a brick online if you bothered to look around. R1s aren't THAT expensive as some claims. So many titles have MSRP below $10-$15.

Quote:Originally posted by Japschin

I read somewhere before that licensing an anime cost $300k and above, depending on the popularity. Cost of producing, no idea. Dubbing artistes get paid between $3k-$5k per artist, depending on their popularity/experiences.

Don't blame it all on the studios for the high prices. Blame it on the distributors and retailers. I have a friend who used to work in ADV sales department. He said that they sold each dvd to distributors ranging from $10-$13. The distributors may add $2-$4 when they sell them to the retailers. After that, it's up to the retailers to set their prices.

This was what I posted when there was a thread regarding ADV requesting their licensed anime titles to be taken off this site. Try finding out and gathering your own info b4 thinking that animes are brought over to USA for free and claiming that the studios are out to rip ppl off.

Messages In This Thread
Bandai's Taking Action Against Imports/Bootlegs - by Japschin - 07-08-2004, 02:21 AM