ADVision asked to have titles that they have licenses for to be taken off the site, s
Quote:Originally posted by Seijuro Hiko
As for the topic there is no law for the entire world, for example you can't arrest sombody in another country, like the US can't go arrest sombody in Mexico, well the same kind of thing happens here, if that law only exist in that place, as long as you're not in that place you're clear. Someone pointed out earlier thatthey have Region 1 rights, and region 1=US, Hk=region 0 or region free=have no region, so HK are not violating anything. Anyway it would be a violation if you were in the US but like I said the internet is clasified as a Global market, so the thing is if that law exist in the place that the site is located? then you have your answer

Sorry, but I have to contest such misleading statements. There is a world law when it comes to copyright. Every country who joined WTO (World Trade Organization) has agreed to universal copyright rules. A lot of HK dvds used to be made in Taiwan, but ever since Taiwan joined WTO in 2002, they started craking down on HK DVDs. Nowadays we don't hear anything about HK dvds made in Taiwan.

Because just about all the significant countries in the world joined WTO, it is given that the copyright is recognized world wide. In Hong Kong, because China wants to encourge free trade there, there is a "look the other way" policy that allows HK DVDs unofficially. Even then, we hear about MAC getting blitzed by HK police once a while because China has to put up an appearance that they are actually honoring the copyright rule.

In addition. you said that US can't go arrest sombody in Mexico, but one can be sure that Mexico will arrest that person for US. I can only think of three countries in the world which might decline such US request - Iran, Cuba, and North Korea.

Messages In This Thread
ADVision asked to have titles that they have licenses for to be taken off the site, s - by hbk101 - 06-10-2004, 09:43 PM