ADVision asked to have titles that they have licenses for to be taken off the site, s
Quote:Originally posted by Japschin
New releases online, if you know where to look, offers 40%-50% discount off MSRP. You can easily get a new release under $20/volume. It also depends on whether you want a collector's box or a limited edition box or just the regular dvd.

I read somewhere before that licensing an anime cost $300k and above, depending on the popularity. Cost of producing, no idea. Dubbing artistes get paid between $3k-$5k per artiste. Sometimes more depending on their popularity/experiences.

Don't blame it all on the studios for the high prices. Blame it on the distributors and retailers. I have a friend who used to work in ADV sales department. He said that they sold each dvd to distributors ranging from $10-$13. The distributors may add $2-$4 when they sell them to the retailers. After that, it's up to the retailers to set their prices.

Thanks, thats some info I can work with. One thing, where can I find the new titles for under $20? I haven't found a series that's not completely released yet with individual volumes for under $20 , I don't know where to look thoughSmile .

Those VA's get paid pretty good. It shouldn't be more than a month or two of work, and probably part time. Wonder what the whole process costs with writing the english version and paying all the VA's.

I found this interesting article http://www.icv2.com/articles/home/4207.html
It talks about the how anime popularity is growing in the US. Its estimated to be an $600 million market. If licensing costs about 300k (which i think is a little high, probably enough to cover the whole production=japanese greed) they can license ALOT of shows each year. I can't do to much research (I'm at work) but if I'd search arround and do some calculations I'm sure the result would be that someone is making lots of money of us. You mentioning what retailers do doesn't help me feel better about the asking prices either although it does once again show that ADV isn't as bad as some people make it out to be.

Anime popularity is growing rapidly due to all the tv exposion, video games featuring anime charrecters and the large availability in stores. It would be only fare to lower the prices or put more eps. on a dvd instead of taking all the profit into their own pockets. I know thats how companies work but then don't look surprised if some fans choose to buy boots.

Messages In This Thread
ADVision asked to have titles that they have licenses for to be taken off the site, s - by Elcoholic - 06-09-2004, 04:28 AM