ADVision asked to have titles that they have licenses for to be taken off the site, s
Quote:Originally posted by elcoholic
whats the "cheapest" you can get a volume of a new show when first released? My guess is not under $20,- for 3 or 4 eps. for any show which I think is to much.

So either the Japanese production companies ask insane licensing costs or the R1 companies make very large profit margins (which could explain the huge pricedrops on some shows). Either way, I keep feeling someone is ripping someone of till I get proof that justifies low ep.counts and high prices. Look at the prices of US animation shows like simpsons/southpark, those prices are ALOT lower and have higher production costs. Its hard to find financial numbers regarding anime but I would very much like to know more about licensing fees, costs of making a dub and costs of producing the anime. Maybe if I knew for a fact that the profit margins on R1 anime are low I would have more respect for the R1 companies.

New releases online, if you know where to look, offers 40%-50% discount off MSRP. You can easily get a new release under $20/volume. It also depends on whether you want a collector's box or a limited edition box or just the regular dvd.

I read somewhere before that licensing an anime cost $300k and above, depending on the popularity. Cost of producing, no idea. Dubbing artistes get paid between $3k-$5k per artiste. Sometimes more depending on their popularity/experiences.

Don't blame it all on the studios for the high prices. Blame it on the distributors and retailers. I have a friend who used to work in ADV sales department. He said that they sold each dvd to distributors ranging from $10-$13. The distributors may add $2-$4 when they sell them to the retailers. After that, it's up to the retailers to set their prices.

Messages In This Thread
ADVision asked to have titles that they have licenses for to be taken off the site, s - by Japschin - 06-09-2004, 03:09 AM