In the hand held market....
Quote:Originally posted by buffgod
Is the game boy advanve going to fall into obscurity once a new system comes out. Is it worth it to even have a game boy advance?

I think it unlikely.

Take a moment to consider how long the Gameboy has been around - it's outlasted every machine both handheld and console. The GBA might face stronger than normal competition from Sony's PSP, but it won't "fall into obscurity". Even if things hot up a little there are still plenty of Nintendo-only titles that will keep the GBA in the running.

The Nintendo DS isn't the GBA's successor, but I've got the feeling that if it doesn't go to plan and the PSP starts shifting a competitive number of units then a new Gameboy will be announced.

Not sure what you mean by "Is it worth it to even have a game boy advance?"

It's still the number one handheld with plenty of excellent games across most genres; it's the only way to play classic SNES games outside the house; Advance Wars. Enough said in my view.

Even if the system dies I'll still hold onto my GBA because of the games - that's what it always boils down to for me. It's the reason I still have my Dreamcast ready to hand.

However, if you're not happy with the machine and don't enjoy the games available then it probably isn't worth having a GBA at all.

There's little point having a fear of your current machine being superceded by the next model - it's always going to happen so there's no point worrying.

Even with the promise of backwards compatibility most people will still get rid of their current machine, but keep the games. Sony has been extraordinarily successful at keeping the Playstation alive in the form of the PSOne (and it might repeat the success if PSTwo becomes a reality). However, a bit of forward thinking will tell you that it makes more sense to buy a PS3 with it's built-in PS2 rather than a PSTwo. Even with a massive back catalogue the PSTwo would be in a vegetative state (as opposed to being dead) - there will the games to keep it going, but it won't receive the attention and innovation of the top developers who will put their effort and resources into the PS3.
Playing: Final Fantasy X-2, Silent Hill and MGS (PSX).
Watching:

My Anime Collection

Messages In This Thread
In the hand held market.... - by buffgod - 04-11-2004, 08:28 PM
In the hand held market.... - by Prophet Hero - 04-11-2004, 11:38 PM
In the hand held market.... - by Schultz - 04-12-2004, 07:05 AM
In the hand held market.... - by Prophet Hero - 04-12-2004, 07:11 AM
In the hand held market.... - by buffgod - 04-16-2004, 02:00 AM
In the hand held market.... - by Prophet Hero - 04-16-2004, 03:37 AM
In the hand held market.... - by rav96 - 04-16-2004, 07:19 AM
In the hand held market.... - by SirChico - 04-16-2004, 02:21 PM
In the hand held market.... - by Prophet Hero - 04-16-2004, 02:29 PM