Evolution of reading
First off I apologise for not reading your post correctly. You did indeed say you had only read parts of Macbeth.

I'm also sorry that you felt that I was picking at everything you had to say. I was merely using my right of reply to address points that you had made. Actually, I should apologise again in advance because once more I'm going to reply to your post

Quote:
As for me not knowing much at all, how about we find something you don't like, & therefore don't spend time learning about it...

Sure, there's load to choose from. How about music? I don't like Metal. I've listened to it, didn't really 'get it' and I didn't like it. Do I think it's "junk" or "retarded"? No.

Quote:...& then let me tell you how you & your OPINION are wrong

Yes, you can tell me that my opinion is wrong. It would be a bit unfair because I never actually said that your opinion was wrong.

Quote:What I've meant by all this is his work is entirely to over rated, & it seems that mass opinions have come to be known as facts. I don't care if every other person besides myself loved his work, it still would not make him the best of anything. "The Best" if a title given to things due to popular opinion, & sometimes people tend to throw their opinion in the same direction as the masses, & then you get what I'd like to reffer to as the "Shakespear effect."

You never said this in your initial post. You said Shakespeare wrote "junk" and that Romeo and Juliet was "retarded". It's more than likely I would have written a less vituperative reply if you written the quoted paragraph first instead of "Please tell me I'm not the only one who think Shakespear was an idiot!"

Quote:Now why do I get the feeling that all you will get from this is "Blah blah blah, shakespear sucks, blah blah blah, I don't know what I'm talking about." Which may be due to teh fact that I'm very open about the fact that I'm able to understand his works, & still think they aren't very good.

I didn't get that from this post. However, I did receive that particular impression from your first post when you used the words "idiot", "junk" and "retarded".

I also received that impression from your next post because your ranted on about rhyming in reference to the Shakespeare you had read, which were all plays. I took this to mean you were unacquainted with blank verse. Now you say that you "nearly Aced that test in English". If this is the case why did you even mention rhyming if you knew Shakespeare's plays were in blank verse and that you know all about this particular form.

Quote:Ever see someone talk bad about an actor in a movie? They themselves are not an actor, so does that mean they should keep their mouth shut? No!...Point being is you don't have to be on the same level or higher as the person, or person's work to disclaim that it's not what or as good as everyone seems to preceve it to be. [/B]

Yep, I'm one of those people that talk about bad actors in films. Am I an actor? No. Do I watch a lot of films so I can compare, contrast and form an opinion despite my lack of acting skills? Yes. Will my opinion be right or wrong? Neither. Can it be ill-formed? Yes, if I don't express myself clearly and build it on scant knowledge.

If you look at the quotation that you took from me you can plainly see that I wrote "That's hardly the best stance from which to criticise...". It doesn't say you can't criticise and I never said that you had to be on the same level or higher than the person whose work you are criticising.

However, I would value some knowledge, experience or at least familiarity of the subject or medium. I read the reviews and opinions of film critics. Do I expect them to have acted or directed? No, but I'll only read reviews of critics that watch a wide variety of films instead of the occasional blockbuster. The same thing goes for opinions from my friends. I won't ask for opinions on books from one particular friend because he hardly reads, but he does have a wide ranging taste in music so I value his opinion of certain bands or albums.

Now relate all this to what you have written in your posts. That you "rarely read at all", the blank verse confusion, that Poe is inspiration only in the sense that he was the inspiration for writers you admire, but you can't remember the names of these writers because you "don't take note to write down the name of every person who has writen something I've liked" even though, by your own admission, you "rarely read at all".

I bear you no ill will, but I personally can't value the opinion on Shakespeare and literature from that perspective. Do you have the right to have an opinion? Yes, of course you do. Is your opinion wrong? No. I've said as much in my posts, which, by the way, have only addressed what you yourself have written.
Playing: Final Fantasy X-2, Silent Hill and MGS (PSX).
Watching:

My Anime Collection

Messages In This Thread
Evolution of reading - by kakomu - 04-11-2004, 11:02 PM
Evolution of reading - by buffgod - 04-12-2004, 02:56 AM
Evolution of reading - by kakomu - 04-12-2004, 06:06 AM
Evolution of reading - by Prophet Hero - 04-12-2004, 07:00 AM
Evolution of reading - by Batz Kage - 04-12-2004, 08:54 AM
Evolution of reading - by SirChico - 04-12-2004, 09:20 AM
Evolution of reading - by kakoi_sugoi_yama - 04-12-2004, 10:13 AM
Evolution of reading - by Prophet Hero - 04-12-2004, 10:51 AM
Evolution of reading - by Batz Kage - 04-12-2004, 11:18 AM