Hong Kong
Any store there will give you a receipt.No matter what you buy. Most shops there are "respectable" in terms of integrity towards customers.
They'll even replace faulty discs for you.
They speak decent English. I've never had to use my fractured cantonese with them.:p
If you see a disc that costs less then HK$40, it will be of lower quality-bad subs, and the the video is a nightmare. As for Hentai, I don't buy it, I just download it. So I don't look at the hentai DVD's at the stores.
For Sega Saturn games, and other old games, go to a mall called "188 building" in Wanchai. The building is on Wanchai road. It's a little hard to find, but it's really popular among locals, so just ask people on the street. Also, Sino center sells bootleg PS2 and Xbox games, and you get premodded Ps2's Xboxes and Gamecubes at 188 building.
I've never been across the border, except for this one time on a tourist trip to Beijing. I don't plan on going to Shenzen either, since I've heard store owners there can be shady bastards. They force you to buy their second rate crap, and if you don't, they don't let you leave the store and threaten you with physical violence.
VCD's-they are still big in Hong Kong. The legit ones that is.
They are cheap, and have good quality. The catch is that no one uses bilingual features on VCD's, so it's always one voice track, and one subtitle that you can't turn off. The legit anime companies in HK are asshats. Sometimes they don't even do a Japanese dub, only a shitty Chinese dub and chinese subs. Don't bother looking for English subs on a VCD. Maybe one out of a hundred million will have English subs.
That being said, there ARE legit R3 releases done by the big companes, like Columbia tristar. But they cost as much as they would in America, heh.
Anyways, here's a suggestion, about your customs issues. I'm assuming you don't want to sell your DVD's and you aren't buying them for that purpose. If the DVD's are for your own personal use, just stick all the discs in a nice CD album. Pack the empty cases if you want them, and tell the customs you took em off your cousin because you liked the artwork. HK boxes, especially gatefolds aren't worth the hassle though. They come apart in about a year, since they're just plastic holders glued onto cardboard. If you are planning on selling, I can't help you. I have no idea how you sell illegal stuff in America Cool

Messages In This Thread
Hong Kong - by Tradewynd - 08-10-2003, 11:19 AM
Hong Kong - by Sam - 08-10-2003, 05:59 PM
Hong Kong - by Tradewynd - 08-10-2003, 09:20 PM
Hong Kong - by Sam - 08-11-2003, 12:04 PM
Hong Kong - by dvd_master - 08-11-2003, 12:22 PM
Hong Kong - by Shinn Asuka - 08-11-2003, 12:49 PM
Hong Kong - by Tradewynd - 08-15-2003, 09:00 AM
Hong Kong - by rugrats1 - 08-15-2003, 09:34 AM
Hong Kong - by isisCdXVi - 09-02-2003, 05:28 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post