Is Evangelion turning into the next DBZ?
A few points I want to make on this topic:

A) Evangelion has been around for 8 years, and it was Gainax's biggest release and it's cashcow. Thus, they feel the need to oversaturate the market with Evangelion stuff (as they are re-re-releasing Eva yet again).

B) It was the anime that started the "tormented" character with a "deep plot and characters". The elitist anime fans (the ones who refer to it as Shin-Seiki Evangelion since "it's what the Japanese called it", even though the Japanese also gave it the name Neon Genesis Evangelion Rolleyes) grabbed it and ran, and tried to act elitist by "interpreting" the "deep" plot that was Eva, thus inflating their Ego.

C)I think that the thing about DBZ was that it was the first big anime hit here in America short of GITS and Akira. Kids (at the age the show was aiming for) gobbled it up, and the older elitist anime fans scoffed that someone else was getting into their hobby...as if it was theirs only
example: http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?da...6-06&res=l

D) We're sick of hearing how Deep Evangelion is. It's like beating a dead horse.

E) We can't enjoy anime the same as the Japanese, considering most of us aren't native Japanese nor speak Fluent Japanese. As for Rurouni Kenshin, most English people have no clue what Rurouni is (same with other names like Ai Yori Aoshi, or Seikai no Senki), which is why a name change is warranted. When you have another name like Gundam which has no meaning in either language, it doesn't really matter. And as for Kenshin Sub vs. Dub, who gives a fuck how the Japanese felt when they watched it? It's all about your own Enjoyment, not theirs and replicating their enjoyment. Personally I think Kenshin in the Japanese version sounded awful.

Morgorath: I don't think their is a "true" and "untrue" or "fake" anime fan, it's all in levels of fandom, as in I'm a major fan, I buy everything, or I'm a minor fan, I watch whatever is on TV.

Messages In This Thread
Is Evangelion turning into the next DBZ? - by kakomu - 07-09-2003, 12:33 PM