Is Evangelion turning into the next DBZ?
That is true, being a Kenshin fan myself I cringe at the dub they are showing on CN thinking how no one will really get to feel how the characters were originally intended to be. I guess I can't blame Media Blasters too much for the horrible dub, I mean it is 95 episodes and all and they are a small company. At least they left the name Rurouni Kenshin and didn't do something totally ridiculous and call it "Samurai X" like those jackasses at ADV did. I'm happy that they are going to get less sales on their Samurai X DVD's than they could have because the name recognition from CN won't be there. I hope they learn from this.

However I can appreciate the mainstream and what it has done for anime in the U.S. This past Anime Expo I believe neared around 20,000 in attendance and things just keep getting bigger. Regular movie stores now have specific anime sections for their DVD's and we're getting many more things like an anime cable channel (dubbed to begin with but will be offered completely subbed soon), more theatrical releases, more licensed mangas, more readily available anime-related merchandise, and more acceptance of animation as a form of adult entertainment in the U.S.

Again there is the other side of it though, if U.S. licensors decide that Americanizing their scripts is the way to win over the mass market then there is the problem of us getting poorly translated titles because it was decided that American audiences wouldn't "understand" it. As well as wanting to get penetration of anime into the mass market I would also like the see the Japanese cultural aspects of it penetrate as well but it seems the U.S. licensors don't want to do that. I just know I'm going to die after seeing what ADV does to Azumanga Daioh.

Messages In This Thread
Is Evangelion turning into the next DBZ? - by SurferX - 07-08-2003, 10:50 PM