Is Evangelion turning into the next DBZ?
I've noticed an ongoing trend at anime conventions and such that has been disturbing me. It seems Evangelion is becoming the next show that is "cool" to make fun of. Before it was largely DBZ, everybody seems to hate you at these events if you even mention it despite the fact that 75% of the people hating on you probably watched it with a passion back in the day.

So now I see Evangelion following the same trend, replacing DBZ as the next series that seems to make you hip and cool at these conventions if you are making fun of it. Although Eva hasn't reached the level of total hatred that DBZ has, I think it is heading in that direction.

I think it is unfortunate that both of these series which I have enjoyed for different reasons, have to end up this way. Maybe it's the unfortunate aspect of anime fans who seem to have some automatic dislike switch for anything that has a spec of popularity. God forbid someone other than them would happen to like the same thing. I don't know, just something I noticed. It seems any time an anime becomes popular that it will instantly be despised by the more hardcore anime fans. Why is this?

Messages In This Thread
Is Evangelion turning into the next DBZ? - by SurferX - 07-08-2003, 08:54 PM