What is the difference between Karate and Tae Kwan Do?
Hi,

I'm thinking of picking up either Karate or Tae Kwan Do.
Can some one tell me the difference between them?
Which is more physically demanding during lessons?

Thanks.
I can't really tell you which is more physically demanding.. but i do know these differences..
Tae Kwan Do is more Kicks related and also you learn forms (which are pointless IMHO) they are just for show.. Also Tae Kwan Do is a korean martial arts..

Karate i belive is more punch orientated but i don't know much about it.. out of any martial arts i would suggest going for Kung Fu.. there are many different types of it but it teaches you to adapt to the situation etc..
hehe Schultz, Karate originally came from Okinawa Japan... thats where you are now! u should be pitching Katare ;p
Ahhh ha that why there is so many Karate Dojo's around here.. ;o)
hehe u didnt know that? Tongue shame on you Tongue
Didn't you guys watch Karate Kid. That's probably where JJ learned that from. Because somewhere in that movie, Mr. Miyagi mentions that Karate is from Okinawa and that's where he was supposed to be from.

Anyways, I took Tae Kwon Do, and it really is a waste of time if you want to learn how to fight. I took it as a kid, but you'll never use any of that stuff in a street fight. And they do waste alot of time teaching your forms and stuff.
Tae Kwon Do is what wannabe ninjas use and Karate is what real ninjas use. Both of them, however, are a waste of time if you want to learn how to beat people up.

Really, neither of them are very physically demanding either.

What are you really looking for? Both are excellent sources of discipline, although neither are good physical training programs, and neither are extremely useful for self-defense either unless you stick with them for a long long time (they teach you stances, katas, and basic procedure exclusively for quite a while.)
o-('-')-o HuG
|)0Y: 1337 5p34k 4n0nyM0u5
Vicious, assumption is a mother of all f@ckups... No I did not learn that katare is from Okinawa from Katare Kid... I learned it from the Biography Channel.
i took both of those and in my opinion take wing chun its simple and every affective
Tae Kwan Do and karate take to much time to teach you anything good like( two years).

i would think about brazilian jujutsu as well,very real
theres nothing in this world to believe in
the best martial art... and this is according to experts (u can probably info more info on this online), is Krav Maga, thats the Israeli Martial Art... it teaches you the best fastest most officient way to knock out and/or immobolize your oponent... and I mean this is not for the faint of heart... no fancy forms, no waving your arms like "the wind"... just break your opponents arm off before he detonates the strap on bomb
Krav Maga is great. It is really hard to find a place that will teach it to you, but that is what the internet is for. :wink:

I took Tae Kwan Do for a few years, and it is very effective in a fight. One Ax kick to the head, and you are dead. Confusedweatdrop:
?The louder he proclaimed his honor, the faster we counted the spoons.? - Ralph Waldo Emerson
http://browncoats.serenitymovie.com/sere...&linkID=36
There's also Kuk Sool Won, which is combination of all Korean martial arts. Or you can read the Marine's combat handbook. They have plenty of methods of immobiliznig an opponent using nothing but your body.
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions Smile .
The reason of considering pickin up TKD or K is because I want to make new friends, learn more self-dicipline, and may be learn to become more responsible. I've had taken TKD before and I agree that it was alot of forms which is not useful in self defence.
Unfortunately, others martial art that you folks have recommended are not heard of so chances to take lessons in my city is pretty slim.
I will look into Hapkido (not sure if I spell correctly but it's the one that Steven Siegel plays in the "under siege" movie series) though.
If you want to learn how to beat someone relentlessly take Hapkido. Lots of grappling, and lots of fun. :mrgreen: Take both Hapkido, and Tae Kwon Do then you can be pretty well rounded.
?The louder he proclaimed his honor, the faster we counted the spoons.? - Ralph Waldo Emerson
http://browncoats.serenitymovie.com/sere...&linkID=36
Segal!!!!!!!!!!! 8O
Beelzebub, Has a devil put aside for me, FOR ME, FOR MEEEEEEEEEEEEE....
[Image: 932003220.jpg]