Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Who here is in Japan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was just trying to find out who here is actually posting from Japan. I think Morg is and maybe Schultz is too, but I'm not sure. I was just wondering because a friend of mine is taking a trip to Japan later this year and wanted me to go too. I just had some basic questions about Japan that you guys might be able to help me out with. For one thing, I heard cost of living is alot higher over there.
Morg and Schultz are. I believe that's it. It's because they are there because that's where the Air Force assigned them.
Yea Morg and Schultz are in the Air Force stationed in Okinawa Japan. And yea cost of living in japan is about 5 times that of average north american ;p
Well, I guess this is mainly directed at Schultz and Morg, and anyone else that might have lived in or visited Japan recently. My main question is how much money should I bring along for a 2 week trip (excluding airfare and hotel)? I think we're going to go in October when they have the festival in Kyoto. I know we're going to at least Tokyo and Kyoto unless you guys have any other recommendations about what cities would be cool to visit. Also, do people there know any English, because I don't think my knowledge of arigato, baka, and onii-chan is going to cut it? Any info is appreciated.

As for anyone else, I'm just going to post what Suzaku said earlier.
"If you have helpful info to answer a question, or something valuable to say, great. That's what the boards are here for. If you dont, well, then don't post. And please, in the name of god, if someone asks a question and you don't know, don't post! The poster will figure out that you don't know by your lack of posting, you don't need to inform them of your ignorance."
Well morg and myself are stationed in Okinawa Japan.. kinda small but it is fun here..
As for the cost of living its a little more but not much more then in japan.. I mean a Value meal at McDonalds will cost yea about 700 yen here. (Plus you can choose what you want as extras its not standard like in America.. whoohoo go japan) Some things you can find cheap.. Other things are a bit expensive.. and one thing though.. Bring as much as you are willing to spend.. because there is alot of great things you can pick up here if you are really into Japanese culture.. also if you get a chance go eat at Yoshinoya's (i think i spelt that right) great Beef Bowl place.. Also if the japapnese work around americans or are majoring in a subject that requires english then its allright. but other then that bring a good Dictionary with yea.
You think like $1000 would last me 2 weeks there? I mean mostly for food and maybe a couple events. I am into Japanese culture, but I'm sure I won't have enough to pick up too many things. Beef Bowl place? What is this, like the Akabeko in Kenshin? Guess I'll have to check it out.
Quote:Bring as much as you are willing to spend...

To add to what Schultz said...This is an understatement... :!: Man time me and Schultz find are self throwing down 500 to 2000 yen and not even blinking, but if we were to do the same this US dollars it's like...
"5 bucks for a magazine say what...?" So be careful the lowest denomination in bill form in 1000 yen and that is $8.70 (current yen rate 115 so 1000 / 115 = $8.70) You have been warned.

Next where you eat at makes a huge difference on your bank book. If you eat at Yoshinoya it will cost you Y280 a bowl (R 280, L 340, XL 460)
and then unless you drink water soda is another Y100 (but you will pay for a large so Y200) now this brings you to Y480 add 5% tax and it is Y500 for you meal. Any American place add Y200 to that for a round about figure. My suggestion is if you are on the move get your meal to go with no drink. Then your bill is Y300 and you can stop at a vending machine (with a better selection) and pop in Y110 and get a soda. The pay off is that in a restaurant the soda is in a glass with ice and you get maybe 100 milliters. At the machine you get a can with pure soda, tea, whatnot and it is 200 milliters or 350 milliters (on big products like coke & Pepsi oh and that bonus 150 milliters is free)

Finally if you are in Tokyo a good amount of the people speak a small amount of English. But don't except much beyond something like this...
Hello, That cost ______ yen. Goodbye. From most people that is their #1 interaction with Americans so please make a good impression for your self and the rest of us. Oh and don't call your self an Otaku unless you want to be laughed at or looked at funny...
So according to your calculations, a meal would cast me roughly Y700, which would be like less than $10 since Y1000 is $8.70. It's cheaper than going to like Chili's or TGIF or something like that here. That's not bad at all. So max I end up spending on food everyday is like $30. That's much cheaper than I expected. Unless I misinterpreted your calculations in ther somewhere.

Yeah, I know about the Otaku stuff. I don't know why it's considered a bad thing over there, but oh well. I was watching one of those late night shows the other night and found out that if you hug someone in Japan, it's like saying you want to have sex with them. I'm not a hugger anyways, but good to know.
I'm finding this thread very informative. As my next trip ( the con being first) I am going to japan! So it is good to know what food will end up costing me. I plan to start saving as soon as I get back from the con, being a sub teacher I get summers off so I figure a trip during summer would be really nice. Big Grin Big Grin

Otaku in japan are complete shut ins. The do nothing, but play games watch anime and read books about playing games and watching anime. That is it. Big Grin Big Grin
Quote:Originally posted by "Vicious"

Yeah, I know about the Otaku stuff. I don't know why it's considered a bad thing over there, but oh well.

Actually its american's that have it wrong.. in japan an Otaku is a person that so into something example a person that is soo into a game or computers to where they will stay in the house 20 hours straight and don't really even move to eat or drink anything. they are totally obsessed with something.. that is an Otaku.. basically a big geek/nerd.. american's well bent it and used it as someone that likes anime.. And didn't fully know what its true meaning was in japan.
yeah, in america it means kind of like a fanboy but in japan they are like outcasts, Otaking... heheh :mrgreen:
Quote:Vicious wrote: So according to your calculations, a meal would cast me roughly Y700, which would be like less than $10 since Y1000 is $8.70. It's cheaper than going to like Chili's or TGIF or something like that here.

Yes and no... you did my calculations right but you put it in the wrong context. I was comparing Yoshinoya to McDee's(or taco bell) Fast food chains. If your talking about places like TGIF's you are in a whole new ballpark. A nice sit down Japanese restaurant will cost you 2000 yen in a matter of moments. Schultz and I went to a decent place last night and the total bill for 4 was just under 4500 yen. I just want to put us on the same page.
OK, I got you now. I thought Yoshinoya was a beef bowl plave like the Akabeko. And they always made such a big deal about the Akabeko in Kenshin that I thought they were expensive or something. Still not too bad. Like $40 a day for food. I'll mix in the fast food with good restaurants. I figure I won't be picking up too many DVD's or anything since they cost alot more over there than here. What I really want is one of those bamboo umbrellas like Ryoga (Ranma) always has. I would love to get a nice samurai sword too, but that probably costs too much and they might not let me ship that back either.
Well if you buy a reproduction they are a decent price. (samurai sword) But as for Ryoga's umbrella. I'm 99% sure you will not find it unless you bring someone who speaks perfect Japanese and could ask the Anime District where you might find one. OH and just a litle side note. Ryoga got that umbrella while in his travels searching for Ranma. He picked up in China. Where 90% of the world's bamboo grows so if you do find it will cost you a pretty penny...
Right expensive. Since this is a related topic. How is your Japanese class going morg?

I can't wait next year the trip I'm planning on is one to japan. I already can't wait. Finally I can put this japanese language to real use ( other than that of reading manga and watching anime). How long are you going to be in japan Morg and Schultz? :?
Pages: 1 2