Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Did they censor Lupin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have recently began to watch Lupin III on CN, and found it to be quite a good anime. Upon sharing this observation with a certain poster here, I was informed that it was horribly edited. So today I went to my local anime store, and I picked up a copy of the first dvd released by Pioneer, with 6 episodes on it. It was labeled 13+, and didn't say if it was edited or not. After watching it subbed with japanese text, it seems to be similar if not identical contentwise to the episodes I saw on CN. I am just wondering if the show and the dvds are really that horribly edited, or if I was given false information. Either way I am planning on ordering the HK boxset of the first season but would just like to know how badly the show has been butchered on it's US release.
I am almost 100% sure it's highly edited. The show on CN is series 2 as I think you already know. The reason behind that is because season 1 was so full of naughtiness and other explicities. You are making a wise decision buying the HK of it all. Season 1 which is what you said you're getting is subbed quite perfectly. GOOD CHOICE MY FRIEND!!! Big Grin
That does explain why I had no clue what was going on even though I had supposedly seen the "first episode". Tongue
Man, I gotta get the 1st series ASAP.

Heres something I learned from a FLCL episode, Green Jacket is from 1st series, Red jacket from the 2nd
I have just watched the first few episodes of Lupin and from what I have seen the CN version must have been edited because there is no way that the unedited version would make it on to cable tv. (Those Bastards!!!) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Yes go with the HK's. Don't support the ruined Lupin. I will never forgive pioneer for what they have done to him here! I watched an episode recently and they said the word "Friggin" over eight times in two sentences. I don't know why Pioneer did what they did, but I hope they lose so much money that they are forced to close down. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Also, an episode was cut from Pioneer's DVD release that has to do with Hitler. They said they will add it on a later DVD release.
lol i swear soon there will be no middle east... it will be censored out from every publication/movie/cartoon etc etc ;p
Sounds like a plan. :mrgreen:
Meh, I've seen both versions of series 2 Lupin and I like what CN did with it. Both have their ups and downs, but I most definitely wouldn't describe the pioneer version as the "ruined" Lupin. The voice acting is generally superb for a dub (almost everything that shows up on CN has great voice acting) and some of the modern localizations and references are absolutely hilarious. I love how the American president sounded exactly like Clinton, etc etc. Plus they didn't sensor it quite as bad as you might think. Bastard, bitch, shit, and Jigen smoking his bong are all still in there. My advice - watch the CN Lupin because it's free, and if you like that buy it, because both are equally good.
I'll still buy the Pioneer DVDs. :mrgreen:
Does anyone happen to know offhand exactly what was cut from the second season which is being aired?
Pioneer didn't just ruin Lupin (not Lu-Pon like they pronounce it) They raped it beyond recognition. That is a dub ALMOST as bad as DB but a few things are still worse. I CAN'T watch the dub of Lupin, even if I were going to make fun of it, it is that bad. Cartoon Network is doing a good job of promoting anime, YES. The anime being released having TOLERABLE dubs are far and few between, and Lupin is definitely NOT on MY list. Inu Yasha is a tolerable dub, all tthe Gundams EXCEPT G Gundam have decent dubs. Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop have watchable dubs as well. But as every veteran to this site knows, as if you couldn't tell, I HATE DUBS!!! They will never release a dubbed anime that I will like unless it is originally meant to be in English. The best intentional dubs are Blood the Last Vampire and Vampire Hunter D Blood Lust. Go figure they're both Vampire related. :roll:
I am so happy that I was pronouncing his name right all that time. Now if I can just make myself stop saying Chobits wrong...
Cho as in Show, Bits as in Cheese Nips! :mrgreen:
Pages: 1 2 3