Import Anime Forums

Full Version: christian anime what!!!!!!!?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
so a friend of mine asked me if there was christian anime out there and i said well i mean i guess there would be. The closest thing i could think of was trigun but thats not really christian i mean not really so does anyone know of any he wants to know
Chrono Crusade, Trinity Blood... Hellsing... lol.. hey, it deals with the Vatican and Rome so yes, that's Christian... so do the other two... I'm sure there's more, but that's just off the top of my head... Course there are also references in Evangelion...Earthian Angelic Collection deals with angels, not necessarily Christian, but it does have the good/bad and judging humanity... I don't know about Haibane Renmei, but it certainly has some after worldly scenarios to it... although not necessarily Christian in origin...

Anyway.. just a few... but none of which may actually deal specifically with Christianity... although the first three have nuns, priests, etc... so could be considered as such...
Does he mean christian anime in the same way as like christian rock or some crap? Weird, I don't think you could call something that has some christian things in a 'christian anime' could you? Doesn't it have to be made by christians for christians? Anyway only one percent of Japan is christian so I doubt there would be much.
Well, there was the Christian Arc in Kenshin, which deals a lot with persecution and religion differences. Aside from the ones that are already listed, I don't think I can think of any others.

EDIT: Well, I've never seen Full Metal Alchemist, but doesn't it contain references to The Divine Comedy? Which includes references to Dante's Inferno and the 7 Terraces of Purgatory (or 7 Deadly Sins), which are references Christian themes.
(reference link)

Well... this isn't anime, but does this count as Christian-related?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnp0ltpEfpQ
In the 80's there were 2 shows that were brought over to the states. I remember watching them as a kid. They were "Superbook" and "The Flying House".
"Superbook" was about a magic book that transported 2 kids back in time to witness biblical events. "The Flying House" was about a professor who invented a house that could time travel back in time to (guess what), witness biblical events. He went back with 3 kids and a robot.
I dont know if these shows are easily available and if they were; they would most likely just include the dubbed version.
kcpacman Wrote:In the 80's there were 2 shows that were brought over to the states. I remember watching them as a kid. They were "Superbook" and "The Flying House".
"Superbook" was about a magic book that transported 2 kids back in time to witness biblical events. "The Flying House" was about a professor who invented a house that could time travel back in time to (guess what), witness biblical events. He went back with 3 kids and a robot.
I dont know if these shows are easily available and if they were; they would most likely just include the dubbed version.

Oh yeah I totally forgot about Superbook. It's still on TV in the UK sometimes. Think it's on the God channel or something.
Yep Psygnius, Full Metal Alchemist does have the 7 seven deadly sins.. that's what the hominoids (sp?) were named for... greed, lust, envy... etc...

Still all of these anime have some Christian references to them... they aren't cut and dried, but then nothing usually is... lol..

I guess the two that kcpacman mentioned would most fit the description of Christian anime...

Still, it was fun to go over my anime list and try to remember which ones had bits of Christian references in them... lol.. course a lot of my list I haven't seen yet...

Hey, wouldn't Vampire Hunter D have to be included in this? There were certainly a lot of crosses in it... laugh...
You should check out Bible Black, there are a TON of biblical references in that show.Wink
Blight Wrote:You should check out Bible Black, there are a TON of biblical references in that show.Wink

lol now that would be funny. i was thinking about it and i guess that super book and flying house would be it. i don't remember watching anything that was geared towards christians specifically. and coming from a some what relgious background i wouldn't recomend any anime i've seen. if the person is really religious, they may take offense to chrono crusade and just about any other anime i can think of that deals with religious issues like that.
those are anime???

i think ive seen the one with the robot but its like for little kids

there isnt any anime with Jesus in it or anything then im guessing
Cyrus Wrote:those are anime???

i think ive seen the one with the robot but its like for little kids

there isnt any anime with Jesus in it or anything then im guessing

Your friend sounds like a bit of a dick to be honest. It's pretty ethnocentric to want anime to be catered to his wants. It's pretty sad in a way. No wonder a lot of the titles we get brought to the west are not always that great or butchered if people like that would only watch anime that isn't Japanese. Ask him how many Shinto tv shows do you think America makes and then just give him some good decent anime to watch and tell to live a little...
Cyrus Wrote:there isnt any anime with Jesus in it or anything then im guessing

No anime that I know of but there is a manga. The manga is called Jesus and it tells the life of Jesus. I don't think your average christian would like to read it though. You see, it gives a very realistic perspective of Jesus's life. Jesus made no miracles in this manga, all of those events people call miracles are no such thing in this manga, they're just events that any human could've caused. It's actually very well written, very well explained but of course christians might not be too happy about it. There's also another manga by the same author about Joan of Arc.
Try Night on the Galactic Railroad. Warning- zzzzzz!
my friend isnt ethnocentric at all i mean he watches lots of anime with me

he just got done watching some of blue gender with me and he liked what he saw

so i mean he isnt just looking for anime with only christian stuff he was just wondering if it was out there.

and i was wondering too but to be honest i mean im christian but if it was out there it sounds like it might be kinda lame cus i doubt it would be done as in exactly the way the bible says it and also there isnt that much about the life of Christ when he was a kid so it might be kinda odd to see it like that. As a friend of mine said you don't really wanna see Jesus go super sayian or something do you and im pretty sure thats what would happen or something like that.

So yea he just wanted to see if it existed not to say that he would only watch that or say that is way better then anything else.

btw im watching gunslinger girl right now and it's really interesting me i'm only about half way through but i like the way it appeals to both boys and girls really well or at least thats how i see it.
Good lol I though it was going to be like one of them threads we had a while ago that were crazily christian, like that guy who wanted to get rid of a set because it had a pentagram in it Rolleyes
Pages: 1 2 3