Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Confused about EVA =(
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I finally saw this show, thanx for the set JJ..kinda confused is this a normal thing? So, the good guys lose? I'm used to my simple sappy shows I guess.
Rei1781 Wrote:I finally saw this show, thanx for the set JJ..kinda confused is this a normal thing? So, the good guys lose? I'm used to my simple sappy shows I guess.

There's no good and bad guys as such. It's about all mankind and how we react to each other... Shinji decided to make his own desicions and in that case then I guess he wins not loses. You have seen the movie haven't you? I'm a little rusty but that's how I remember it... Just waiting for my platinum set to refresh my memory...
Everyone goes completely insane. Especially Asuke. The end.
I don't understand anything of it either. I have end of eva movie but haven't watched it yet.
Part of the fun in watching this series is picking out as many different uses of religious symbolism as you can find. My wife and I both study theology (only for fun... nothing formal) and were astounded at how many different religions were mixed together in the creation of this series. From something as basic as calling EVA's opponents "angels" to the slightly more subtle resurrection EVA is great at using metaphors to sell it's own brand of armageddon.

I enjoyed it a lot... especially if I ignore the final episode and replace it with the movie instead.
Zagatto Wrote:Part of the fun in watching this series is picking out as many different uses of religious symbolism as you can find. My wife and I both study theology (only for fun... nothing formal) and were astounded at how many different religions were mixed together in the creation of this series. From something as basic as calling EVA's opponents "angels" to the slightly more subtle resurrection EVA is great at using metaphors to sell it's own brand of armageddon.

The dead sea scrolls references I thought were the coolest. The Lance of Longinus aswell. The show just blows me away. Really gets me thinking. I don't see it as armageddon though. The way I see it is that they all wanted to take mankind to the next level or the next step of evolution. The soul and the body split and everyones souls joining together into one whole. They had no faith or hope that humans could be able to relate to each other or understand each other even though we are essentially the same. That's why Shinji chose to live as himself as one seperate being he felt he could give it another go or something... Need to watch it all again really as I don't think anyone can take it all in or fully understand it but that's the best bit.
it's a great series i really enjoyed it, lots of religious symbolism in it and i'm kinda into that stuff. but honestly rei, i'm not sure if anyone really gets it completly.
The opening squence starts.... J. R. is shot and killed....whole lotta confusion...she wakes up...it was all a dream, wait that was Dallas....or WAS IT????

-wink wink-
Yeah the ending was bizarre. But I also like alot of the obscure religious and mythological references. Like the idea of Lilith. Look it up, pretty interesting story.
im proud to say i completely get it well for the most part of course to get to that point i watched the series all the way thru 3 or 4 times. I read all the little extras on the movie dvd's that talks about what the series is about and i did some online research too. So yeah i got it but it is very complicated still. The only thing that i still was not totally sure on was the lance of loginess if its just a key or something mixed with a weapon but the series never said too much about that so i guess thats as good a incite as i can get on it
btw the movie takes place of the ending so i think it starts at episode 24 and replaces those episodes. From what i understood of the human instrumentality project is that the final episodes explained what that was and in fact did not end the series. Such as the final ending episodes did not actually conclud the series.

The reason for this is the writer hideki anno came thru his depressing and the issues he was facing when he was creating the anime and just ended it there. At least thats what i have come to understand.

BTW nadia the secret of blue water which was done by him too is excellent
For those who still don't understand NGE here're some FAQs:

http://www.evaotaku.com/html/evafaq2.html
http://www.therossman.com/evafaqs.html

I personnally used a more detailed German FAQ (34 pages) back in 1998 that included a complete list of all angels with short explanations added. Sadly, it's not online anymore. But I still have it on hard drive, so if anyone's interested... (remember: written in German!)
Cyrus Wrote:The only thing that i still was not totally sure on was the lance of loginess if its just a key or something mixed with a weapon but the series never said too much about that so i guess thats as good a incite as i can get on it

it was the spear that pierced the side of christ.
well yeah i know it was the spear that pierces the side of Christ (Im a christian btw) I mean the scientific and technological implications
In Evangelion, the Lance of Longinus is apparently a living being (watch ep. 22 & EoE) and SEELE's key to the Human Complement Project, while Gendo uses Rei Ayanami instead. Due to its biological nature the Lance might also be an angel but this is unverified.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5