Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Memoirs of a Geisha
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Has anyone seen this movie? I saw it the other day and it's beautiful. Such a sad story as well. Really enlightens you to how hard life was for the geisha. They looked like their life was so glamorous but they had no freedom. It's long though but I didn't seem to notice as it was paced so well. Go see it or download it (there's a good quality version on bittorrent). Not sure about them speaking English in it though... and aparently there weren't many Japanese actors in it either...
gubi-gubi Wrote:Has anyone seen this movie? I saw it the other day and it's beautiful. Such a sad story as well. Really enlightens you to how hard life was for the geisha. They looked like their life was so glamorous but they had no freedom. It's long though but I didn't seem to notice as it was paced so well. Go see it or download it (there's a good quality version on bittorrent). Not sure about them speaking English in it though... and aparently there weren't many Japanese actors in it either...
When I was told I was going to be drug 52 miles to see that movie I thought I would hate it. I was glad that the place didn't have it, but learned that other than containing "Time Bomb" by Rancid, Fun With Dick & Jane completely sucked.
I finally saw an ad for Memoirs of a Geisha & thought it looked really interesting, but the only place showing near here (still 52 miles away) is a place that show mainly documentaries. The sad part is, no noe I know knows where that place is.
So, it's likely like RENT I'll miss all my chances to see it Sad
Batz Kage Wrote:When I was told I was going to be drug 52 miles to see that movie I thought I would hate it. I was glad that the place didn't have it, but learned that other than containing "Time Bomb" by Rancid, Fun With Dick & Jane completely sucked.
I finally saw an ad for Memoirs of a Geisha & thought it looked really interesting, but the only place showing near here (still 52 miles away) is a place that show mainly documentaries. The sad part is, no noe I know knows where that place is.
So, it's likely like RENT I'll miss all my chances to see it Sad

Well if you use torrents a dvd quality screener rip is available at torrentspy.com. I thought it would be boring aswell to be honest. I think being interested in Japan helps but I guess most people here will be Wink
I see the trailers and I think boring movie but then again it is getting very good reviews.

Is it all drama or is there some laughs to be had? I saw the torrent but haven't picked it up yet.
i wanted to see it cuz the chick is hot, but it's long, very long, and a total chick flick. so..... if you're a dude, might not want to see it.
I've heard from a lot of people that it isn't that impressive. And that it really 'americanizes' japanese culture. Then again, this is coming from die-hard fans of the books. Where usually people like that refuse to EVER like a movie based on a book.
Homeless Joe Wrote:i wanted to see it cuz the chick is hot, but it's long, very long, and a total chick flick. so..... if you're a dude, might not want to see it.

gubi-gubi is a dude lol.
Blight Wrote:gubi-gubi is a dude lol.

I am partial to a good chick flick though so it might not be everyones bag lol! It's not really that chick flicky though. Kind of like The Last Samurai but from a womans perspective and without the samurai lol... Just a good drama.
I did go see this movie over the Holidays and I have to say I am impressed. I received the book as a Christmas gift from my father and had yet to even start it when I saw the movie. I'm glad I did. The movie was very enlightening into the world of Geishas, which many have branded as mere painted whores. It also gives some insight into a post war Japan struggling to regain it's identity.
I have since started the book, and it is very descriptive, very beautiful and contains a lot more indepth detail. Words of advice: WATCH MOVIE FIRST, READ BOOK LATER!!!!
hmmm... painted whores... drool... heh
JunkieJoe Wrote:hmmm... painted whores... drool... heh
Only you, JJ. Only you...:p
I was going for the homer simpson drool... you recall that episode where the gummy was stuck to some womens butt?... ahh.... classic!
real classy jj real classy Tongue
I saw the movie a couple of days ago and it's absolutely awesome. Many people criticized this movie and although I understand their reasons I couldn't help but love the movie. It's a real feast for the eyes!
Just thought you might want to know the film has now been banned in China. They said it was insensitive to use a Chinese actress to play a Japanese role when the Japanese commited atrocities when they occupied China in the 1930's. Talk about living in the past.
Pages: 1 2 3