Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Memoirs of a Geisha
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Wow! That's quite an exagerated measure!
Back when I first heard of the movie I read something about the fact that the Chinese weren't too happy with Zhang Ziyi for playing a geisha, for the exact same reasons you stated, but I never imagined they'd go so far as banning the movie!
Andromeda18_ Wrote:Wow! That's quite an exagerated measure!
Back when I first heard of the movie I read something about the fact that the Chinese weren't too happy with Zhang Ziyi for playing a geisha, for the exact same reasons you stated, but I never imagined they'd go so far as banning the movie!

it's china nuff said
Before the Japanese made their own live-action series of Hana Yori Dango, a very successful version called Meteor Garden was made in Taiwan. China banned the series saying it misled teenagers.

Quote:Adapted from manga or Japanese comics, christened Hana Yori Dango (meaning "Boys Prettier Than Flowers") and made in Taiwan, Meteor Garden is also disliked by some educators for the "cultural imperialism" it brings to China. "It is enough that our children watch Japanese cartoons all day long, but now even the teenagers are mad about Japanese pop culture," says a teacher of Chinese language at the Beijing Economics and Trade University, who gave her name as Liu.

Some 45 percent of the young viewers surveyed by Southern Weekend said their parents prevented them from watching the series, fearing that the excessive lifestyle of Taiwanese youth might build up unrealistic expectations with youngsters in mainland China.

I haven't watched Meteor Garden but I have watched Hana Yori Dango and I can tell you that banning something like it is just insane. What the hell's wrong with the Chinese government?!!!
Andromeda18_ Wrote:I haven't watched Meteor Garden but I have watched Hana Yori Dango and I can tell you that banning something like it is just insane. What the hell's wrong with the Chinese government?!!!

They are also saying they will take Taiwan by force if they have to as Taiwan is saying they want independence. China is a power hungry country... I think they pose a huge threat to the world as they have a big nuclear program.
Yeah but Taiwan is under US protection. If China would invade I think there's a big fleet in the neighbourhood to help Taiwan. China would get fucked upBig Grin

As far as them being a threat, yes but not a military one. An economical threat they are since they make good quality stuff for almost nothing. They're competing in alot of products. The EU actually has to restrict stuff coming in from china because the cheap stuff would flood our market and bankrupt many european companies. Like in the end of last year there were tankers full of clothes in european harbors waiting for the new year to begin so they could unload since the quotum was already made mid 2005. Also the price of oil is rising because demand from that country is so high. Imagine a billion chinese families all of a sudden start driving cars. That's alot of oil that the world needs to produce extra.

But yeah, haven't seen the movie yet but it looks good. Got nominated for an oscar didn't it?
I agre with Elcoholic, they pose more of an economic threat than a military one. It's just all that censorship that bugs me. :mad:

Anyway, the movie is indeed very good. It got 6 oscar nominations:

Achievement in Art Direction
Achievement in Cinematography
Achievement in Costume Design
Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures (Original Score)
Achievement in Sound Mixing
Achievement in Sound Editing
Think it will win any?
Well, I haven't watched all of the nominated movies so I can't tell for sure but I think it stands a good chance of winning at least the first 3 on the list. As far as the original score goes I really don't remember if I liked it or not, but I think I did. :p
All this talk of nominated movies has me downloading all the movies for the main categories. We watched Brokeback Mountain first and have Memoirs of a Geisha and Walk the Line on tap... as well as all of the movies nominated for best picture.

Did anyone else notice that not a single movie nominated for best leading female actress also received a nod for best movie? Three of the five nominations for best male lead were paired with nominations for best movie but not the female... it's just odd...
Brokeback mountain. I get shivers just thinking about it. '2 Cowboys in the middle of nowhere start a relationship'. I really don't want to see it and yes i'm slightly homophobic. I don't mind people being gay one bit but I can't look at 2 men kissing (but can spend hours looking at 2 women Big Grin ).

Anyway, if your downloading I'd suggest 'Good night and good luck' and, fuck it i'm making a thread for recomandations. I'm not going OT again here.
elcoholic Wrote:I don't mind people being gay one bit

elcoholic Wrote:i'm slightly homophobic.

Bit of a contradiction there. If the thought if it makes you shiver then don't think about it. People piss me off when they say the thought of what gay people do in bed makes them sick. Why think about it then? Get over yourself and get on with thinking about your own life.
I think that what elcoholic means is that he believes that people should have the right to enjoy whatever gender of sexual partner they prefer. His homophobia relates to the idea of casting himself in a homosexual role.

At least, that's my interpretation of the matter.
Personally, I enjoy being confused as gay while out with friends. I get free drinks out of the thing as well as more attention from women for the most part. This last week I was described as "metrosexual" while out dancing which I was told means that I look gay even though I prefer women.

Now... we were talking about Memoirs of a Geisha?
Zhang Ziyi is one of the hottest women in cinema these days. I absolutely loved her in 2046 and Crouching Tiger so I'm really looking forward to seeing Geisha tonight.
Don't get me wrong everyone has the right to feel and think what they want. You're free to be homophobic, racist, misogynistic whatever but I don't see the point in making comments about it. If he'd of said he couldn't watch Memoirs of a Geisha because looking at asians makes him shiver it would be another story.

Zagatto Wrote:Zhang Ziyi is one of the hottest women in cinema these days.

I wonder if she will be able to do another Chinese film after all the Chinese uproar about her playing a Japanese role.
gubi-gubi Wrote:I wonder if she will be able to do another Chinese film after all the Chinese uproar about her playing a Japanese role.

She already is. She's filming a movie called Ye Yan.

Anyway, seeing two men kissing each other doesn't bother me at all, same as watching two women kissing each other, so I'll have no problems watching Brokeback Mountain. I just worry the film might be too mushy for my taste.
Brokeback isn't that mushy really.
It is painful to watch though. The feelings that each of the men experience are captured on film without being heavy handed.
Pages: 1 2 3