Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Snow...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Anyone else having snow/ice problems? We had 0 snow as our first snow melted a couple days ago. I'm now trying to clear a 4 foot drift in the middle of our driveway now...

The worst part is the city is literally covered in almost an inch of ice on the roads. It's insane, i've never seen anything like this. Man i'm not gonna wanna leave the house for a long time, people can't drive in the winter as it is...
Snow already huh. I kinda surprised at myself thinking that that sucks. I used to love it, but since I got to drive to College in it now, not so much. I'm still worried about Tornados myself. Had three in my area just Sunday night. A few weeks before that there were like seven one night. So where do you live, because I didn't know it had snowed yet anywhere.
Fargo ND. Big big storm. At least 4 people have died from it so far. We're mostly done with the driveway now. 2 hours since we started with 2 snowblowers and 2 shovelers...
We had a huge snow storm last friday. People stuck in their cars on highways for 14+ hours, trains not driving and a quarter of the country was without power, some even didn't have power for 3 days.

Weird stuff since we get snow every year without problems but somehow everything went wrong this time.
we had snow for over 2 weeks now, except where I am, we hit a heat wave, 14C today so most of the snow is gone...

Canada is prepared for snow, snow storms and ice, unlike americans (not trying to disrespect you guys here, i have great respect for the USA, like many of you know that read my posts).. in Canada, or to narrow it down, in all the cities and towns, the snow removal budgets are close to 20-30% of the entire early budget, so we are prepared... where as in USA, its fraction of that, and when the snow storm hits at places that dont expect it, you get those results...

on a flip side ofcause, not having to spend billions upon billions of dollars on snow removal, makes USA richer and taxes lower... nuff said... enjoy snow...
We have a pretty good snow removal system here. You just can't (or shouldn't) spend so much money every year being ready for the one year something like this happens. They'll probably have sand down on all the main roads soon if they don't already. Probably have most the backroads covered within a couple day.
In the Netherlands there was quite a bit of snow too.
And of course, when it snows there are problems.
This time there were traffic jams like everywhere, the power and hot water didn't get to peoples houses anymore and so on.
Finally now things are settling down, so most problems are over now.
?? You have some kinda public hot water system or something. That makes no sense.
snow just started in my little town...though now we are in an advisary untill tommorw, already got about 2 inches, gonna get 2 more by tommorw
Cidien Wrote:?? You have some kinda public hot water system or something. That makes no sense.

That indeed makes no sense. He means we had no electricity to warm up the water in the ehh, thing that warms up water (forgot name). Things are fine now but in Germany there are lots of towns that don't have power for a week. I can't imagine having no power for that long.

RF_Insane, we moeten altijd extra duidelijk zijn bij deze gasten, anders snappen ze het niet Wink Maar was inderdaad kut weer afgelopen weekend.
yeah its not too bad except that no one seems to have snow tires yet cus you never know when it will hit here. It's so random.
About the hot water supply:
Some towns in my country appear to have something like a central hot water distribution.
I have absolutely no idea why anyone would want that. You only notice the difference in this kind of situations (or so I'm told). Those people aren't getting any hot water for about 5 (or so) days now.

I had no problems at all (except some traffic jams), lucky me.
RF_InSAnE Wrote:About the hot water supply:
Some towns in my country appear to have something like a central hot water distribution.
I have absolutely no idea why anyone would want that. You only notice the difference in this kind of situations (or so I'm told). Those people aren't getting any hot water for about 5 (or so) days now.

That?s pretty interesting. I'd like to know how something like that works (or maybe doesn't in this case).

And the hot water thing is simply called a hot water heater. We have two since my house was rebuilt. A gas one and an electric one. We use the electric one most of the time, the other is reserve. I?m not really sure how that works but my dad is the man when it come to that kinda stuff.
RF_InSAnE Wrote:About the hot water supply:

Hmm, well I learn something new about my country on canadian anime websites all the time Big Grin
Okay, about the water supply.
I don't know for sure whether this info is correct, but it should give you a pretty good impression of how it should work.

There is a building, like a power plant, but this one boils water. The boiling water is than converted to big pipes with even bigger isolation to keep it from losing its warmth before even reaching the homes. These pipes are of course underground.

Somehow there was a problem with the pipes or the conversion of the water to the pipes, anyway quite a lot of houses and alike didn't have hot water for a few days. It seems even now (or yesterday to be precise) there are places without hot water.

And just for the record, I never even heard of this system until about a week ago, so for details you shouldn't be asking me. At my house we have a boiler, so no problems there. I can't even think of a reason why anyone would actually want this central system, but there must be some benefit, right?
Pages: 1 2