Import Anime Forums

Full Version: appleseed on a cg overdose
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Has anyone seen the new appleseed movie yet, it was released may 10th. Just go to appleseedthemovie.com It looks totally awesome but also I am concerned with the flood of cg in anime, too much. I enjoy animation and think cg is taking too high a priority, just look at ghost in the shell two, the cg took center stage and there almost no story.http://www.appleseedthemovie.com
I've watched about 20 mins of it and it's friggin amazing. Gonna go watch the rest of it now I think lol. Sleep for 8 hours or watch appleseed and get 6... hm.... Big Grin
I think the director took care when making the movie all CG. This guy wrote GitS so I don't think he will butcher his own creations. I still like the old-school anime more in my opinion as nothing gets me happier then old-school anime.
too bad nothing makes you happier than old-school anime... nookie makes me happier than ANY anime I've ever seen...
Ive got the MI version ( subtitled ), which is super close to flawless - have heard a few minutes of the English version - which I personnally dont care for , think the original Japanese is better -because i feel the heart of the movie is in those voices - save your dough and buy the MI version -- super fantastic movie, great story- unbelievable CG work --etc at around 7 bucks compared to the us version at around 25 bucks ! Big Grin
Actually the U.S. version is like 16 which is a pretty awesome price. The 25 is for a metal case with a bonus extras disc and a soundtrack. Sounds like a pretty damn good deal either way to me.
Saw the bootleg of it 4 month ago, very good. Can't wait for the other movie and the tv version to be released
Cidien Wrote:Actually the U.S. version is like 16 which is a pretty awesome price. The 25 is for a metal case with a bonus extras disc and a soundtrack. Sounds like a pretty damn good deal either way to me.

Let me know when you get it ( of course after you watch it ) , im curious if wether or not you like the English dub better than the Japanese subtitled - 16 bucks isnt bad !
I just finished watching the english dub and I have to say that I was blown away. The voice acting is some of the better done dubs I've heard (not quite as good as Bebop). What really stands out is the animation of the action sequences. The whole movie is gorgeous to look at but the choreography and editing of the action really stands out. This is one title that I recommend shelling out for the low price of the R1s.
I bought the AV version quite some time ago, and recently purchased the R1 as well. From a technical standpoint, it's quite beautiful. The CG was handled rather well, and the cel-shading was especially strong. The explosions looked amazing - they looked better then most explosions in Hollywood movies.

The story, however, was kinda flat to me. I had no Appleseed background, and while I love GitS, I didn't completly get into it. The ending was a little cheesy to me ("Mother...!" *beep* "There ya go, sweetie. Believe in yourself!")

Plus, they did one of the biggest signs of amateur CG : rolling camera movements EVERYWHERE. The camera was never still, and sometimes the camera pans were completly pointless. Like when Duenan is on the mech thing, trying to shut them down, it shows this big sweep from top to bottom that was just distracting and useless. Anime's tend to never have camera movements, except for important scenes, because it involves re-animating the entire background and character from a different perspective. Since it's CG and they can view from any angle... they went crazy.

I also thought the music was bad (bad techno with no real tune during the climax - luckily it improved as it went on).

Overall, I'd still say it's something you should see, regardless.
I was about to buy the 2-disc metal case set for $25 when I saw that there is a $28 set that comes with an action figure. Has anyone seen the figure? If its cool enough I'll get that one.
The figure is of the robot dude. He looks kinda cool, but not awesome.
I was wrong, the set with the figure is $41. Too much for my tatse and I saw the figure and its not that good at all. Just go with the $25 collectors edietion. I just hope we continue to see tradtional anime, I would give up totally if it became all cg. Just look at samurai shamploo great animation. I think although cg is great, its only great in some aspects and there is a loss of emotion and skill with all or a majority of cg. To this day I still love watching the original gundam from 1979 and speed racer from 1963 and and the original transformers and by todays standards the animation is horrible, but the quality of the shows shines through.
I would love to see the original gundam in cg. I liked the series, but I absolutely hated how poorly it was animated at times. Especially when the rx jumped up into the air. Its legs looked retarded. There are many shows I love I would also love to see in cg, including shows like cowboy bebop. I don't know what you're talking about losing emotion with cg. I don't see how making people and their expressions more detailed = loss of emotion, but whatever.
It's funny to see someone mention Samurai Champloo as an example of traditional animation styles. Manglobe Inc is proud of their advanced animation studio and the extensive use of computers for compositing, colouring and effects. Computers have really advanced what can be done with 2d animation on a budget if the producers do a bit of planning in advance and I'm happy to see that advances are still being made in the 2d world.

I do agree that Appleseed and a number of other 3d titles have suffered from excessive camera movement and scenes that seem put in just to show off how much detail a crew has put into building the environment. Hopefully, we'll see more creative uses of 3d like Last Exile that continue to build on the combination of 2d and 3d technology.
Pages: 1 2