Import Anime Forums

Full Version: appleseed on a cg overdose
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I watched Appleseed about 2 months ago in a cinema festival and I absolutely loved it. Visually speaking it's amazing, don't worry about a cg overdose, everything is perfectly done. And the story is also quite nice, very Appleseed like, if you know what I mean.
I still think every second of appleseed is awesome. Yes, many of its scenes are there to show off the cg. However, that's part of what makes the movie awesome. This is similar to the nextgen discussion right now. The story (gameplay) is what matters but the cg use (graphic power) can lend greatly to the story and awesomeness of the anime. Also, I think GITS2 was a good movie. The R1 released bugged me but I think the story was pretty good.
I am talking about the style of animation, champloo has a traditional style but obviously has advanced technology behind it. Its not like people still had animate everything. Most cg in anime has not yet reached a point where you can express emotion properly there are still things like movement and facial expressions there arent up to lotr smeagol standards. I just think we shouldnt abandon traditional style thats all.
geo85 Wrote:I just think we shouldnt abandon traditional style thats all.

I absolutely agree. I loved Appleseed but I've always been a fan of traditional animation and I always will be. I like it just as much when they combine both things, so long as it's done properly.
Andromeda18_ Wrote:I absolutely agree. I loved Appleseed but I've always been a fan of traditional animation and I always will be. I like it just as much when they combine both things, so long as it's done properly.

Ya, cg has its uses and its drawbacks. Of course not everything should be made using excessive cg. Champloo is perfect the way it is. Any more cg and I think it would start to lose its style. I for one, can't wait for the first gundam cg. Could you imagine gundam wing in cg? Big Grin
Well didn't gundam seed have a lot of cg in it. I honestly would not mind seeing them re animate the original gundam and add some cg, just as long as they keep the dialog and story, just re animate it. That would be cool.
I don't think you understand what I mean. I want a new gundam or a remake with so much cg it looks like appleseed. Seeing the mechs in appleseed get blown apart is cooler than even any live action film ever made.
With some of the newer stuff that is using some CG series like Last Exile and Kino's Journey its the right blend and makes the series better. Wonderful Days is really the extreme with CG that I have liked. But where do you sacrifice the core style which makes anime what it is? If they use CG to much and make things look to real it can almost seem not to look like real anime anymore. I don't want to say anime has evolved artistly as far as it can go, but maybe as far as it should go
i think anime is more then an art style but it is a life form all it's own.

So much so because it has a culture it has steriotypes and so forth so the way i see it is anime needs to stay to it's roots to an extent but then again it needs to advance. When it is near all CG it can still be great but i believe there is much to be said for original art. Even though i think some anime's have amazing visuals some of the older detailed anime is just so much better when it comes to art
Mantis421 Wrote:With some of the newer stuff that is using some CG series like Last Exile and Kino's Journey its the right blend and makes the series better. Wonderful Days is really the extreme with CG that I have liked. But where do you sacrifice the core style which makes anime what it is? If they use CG to much and make things look to real it can almost seem not to look like real anime anymore. I don't want to say anime has evolved artistly as far as it can go, but maybe as far as it should go

I love it when they do things like Last Exile and Wonderful Days (do I love that movie!). What I don't like so much are things like Final Fantasy Spirits Within. Mind you, I liked the movie, and it's not like I dislike this way of doing things (I'm eagerly awaiting Advent Children) but I love traditional animation and I prefer it when it is dominant over CG and they are perfectly blended together.

By the way, does anyone here know the name of that amazing song from Wonderful Days, the one Shua listens to on the record player? I've been trying to find that out but so far I haven't had any luck. Sad
Don't know what the song is called however you can buy the soundtrack from yesasia for about $10. It's a pretty nice set for the price comes with 2 cds + picture cards kept in a box.
Puma Wrote:Don't know what the song is called however you can buy the soundtrack from yesasia for about $10. It's a pretty nice set for the price comes with 2 cds + picture cards kept in a box.

That's nice to know. Thanks for the info. Smile
Pages: 1 2