Import Anime Forums

Full Version: The Incredible Shrinking Shonen Jump
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
is it just me, or is Viz starting to cut corners on "Shonen Jump"? Since the March issue (#28), the number of pages were greatly reduced, since Dragonball Z became a tankoban-only title. In addition, in this month's issue (April, #29), in addition to less pages ("over 260 pages of manga" in that issue), but the introductory color pages to this month's "One Piece" segment is printed on standard newsprint (like the B&Ws), instead of glossy paper.

What gives?
I totally agree with you. I think it is garbage what they are doing. I know they have cut out the DBZ portion but they could easily put in an extra chapter for each of the other mangas. I think they are using thinner pages too because it is looking really thin. The page count is really embarrassing too. The April issue from last year had about 360 pages and the one this year had 260. What a crock. :mad:
bah

get newtype Wink
That makes no sense.....

Newtype is more for anime info, Shonen Jump is just manga....

Anyway, i stopped buying shonen jump back in 2003... i just couldn't be bothered keeping up with it.
I've never bought it. I thought about it but ever since I stopped getting Animerica Extra ages ago I didn't see a point as I prefer just to buy the collected volumes. I ended up buying Animerica Extra for Video Girl AI and that was it... Waste of money.
Cyrus Wrote:bah

get newtype Wink

I think Newtype is one of the biggest rip-offs in printed media. The is no way in hell that I'll pay $12.98 for any fucking magazine, and $80.95 for a year subscription is shit as well. And more importantly, Desfunk is right, Shonen Jump is manga.

As for what they are doing, I'm with yeah, what a crock is right. :mad: Cheap SOBs. :mad:
Yeah, I have all the issues and I've noticed that they have been decreasing in quality lately. I really don't care about the quality of paper as long as they add more manga, which they haven't yet Sad Which is a shame. Also taking out a manga title (DBZ) but not replacing it with anything? Doesn't make much sense to me.
Maybe they're trying to be more Japanese with the paper quality as real Japanese montlys/weeklys are newspaperish to say the least... As for cutting down that sucks. Might have something to do with ADV's lay offs or something... Might need to do it to keep getting published...
I rather just buy volumes of mangas with the money.
CrayonShinChan Wrote:I rather just buy volumes of mangas with the money.

Thing is I'm hooked on most of the stuff in Shonen Jump and it comes out faster (in smaller doses) in the mag. But if they are going to continue the BS they are starting now, I will just fully switch over to the Graphic Novel format.
Blight Wrote:Thing is I'm hooked on most of the stuff in Shonen Jump and it comes out faster (in smaller doses) in the mag. But if they are going to continue the BS they are starting now, I will just fully switch over to the Graphic Novel format.

For years I bought Animerica Extra and Super Manga Blast (I still buy SMB) and what I can tell you from that experience is that it's just not worth it! I can't really complain about SMB but the titles in Animerica Extra were constantly being changed which resulted in me having to buy the graphic novels. What I learned from that is that it's much better to read 200 pages at a time rather than 20 pages, even if they come out faster. Besides, nowadays graphic novels are published every 2 or 3 months which means you can read about 800 pages of a manga a year, you certainly don't read those many pages a year in an Anthologie. This is the reason why I've waited for over a year to start buying Shonan Junai Gumi (aka Young GTO), now that it's going to be published in graphic novel format (in France, not in the US, sorry) I'll definitely buy it!
Andromeda18_ Wrote:For years I bought Animerica Extra and Super Manga Blast (I still buy SMB) and what I can tell you from that experience is that it's just not worth it!

Same here. Dropped Animerica Extra round about the time that crappy Chicago thing came in... Didn't even know SMB was still around but I used to get that aswell. I just plain stopping going to my comic store once the old comic style format was dropped (now that was expensive!). Glad to say I don't miss the comic format... I have huge comic boxes full of old manga comics, the space they take up is ridiculous. VHS and comic book manga? How did we cope!
gubi-gubi Wrote:Same here. Dropped Animerica Extra round about the time that crappy Chicago thing came in... Didn't even know SMB was still around but I used to get that aswell. I just plain stopping going to my comic store once the old comic style format was dropped (now that was expensive!). Glad to say I don't miss the comic format... I have huge comic boxes full of old manga comics, the space they take up is ridiculous. VHS and comic book manga? How did we cope!

We coped because that's what was avaiable at the time...Ah how the times have gotten better for space...Cool
Yeah it is kinda lame that a 360 page mag went to 280 page in just one year. If you ever look at japanese manga mags they are 600 pages a piece and only $4 in japan with the US price being $8. I think the companies are noticing a kind of manga bubble burst which I kind of blame manga consumers as many only read fan scans instead of buying the stuff. Then again manga is just anime in the fact that they are both a pain to find missing volumes of.
tsunami Wrote:Yeah it is kinda lame that a 360 page mag went to 280 page in just one year. If you ever look at japanese manga mags they are 600 pages a piece and only $4 in japan with the US price being $8. I think the companies are noticing a kind of manga bubble burst which I kind of blame manga consumers as many only read fan scans instead of buying the stuff. Then again manga is just anime in the fact that they are both a pain to find missing volumes of.
The Japanese ones also are WEEKLY. They have about 20 different titles with one chapter each. The Shonen Jump is like $5 newsstand price and a subscription is half that. So, it is really cheaper to subscribe rather than to buy all the graphic novels. I still will subscribe because I can pay for it with classroom funds, but it is pretty lame they are cutting the size.
Pages: 1 2