Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Anime suggestions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey everybody. I'm new here so I thought I'd post and say hello. Also, I'm looking for some good animes that are up my alley. I'll give you an idea of what I like so far and what I'm looking at. If you have suggestions just let me know.

I'm a huge fan of Cowboy Bebop (I know, I know, who isn't?). I've also watched and thoroughly enjoyed Trigun, Witch Hunter Robin, Chobits, Hellsing, Samurai Champloo, Neon Genesis: Evangelion, RahXephon, and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (there's probably another one, but if there is I can't think of it right now).

I saw half of the first episode of Excel Saga and hated it.

As you can probably tell from what I do like, I'm into more of the sci-fi type stuff. I also tend to lean more towards stuff that looks similar to those listed above (i.e. more realistic looking as opposed to the big eyes and cutesy miniaturizations). I'm probably catch flak, but I can't watch anything where the main character talks in one of those high-pitched, I'm-on-coffee-and-speed-at-the-same-time voices. I'm not sure how much of an issue this is with the original Japanese because I usually watch dubbed animes (you don't have to give me the lecture about subbed being the best way to watch, I've already had it :p ).

Anyway, I've heard that Texhnolyze is good, as is Wolf's Rain. I'm getting some Outlaw Star because I've heard that is pretty good and I thought I should give it a try. In looking around I've come across Space Battleship Yamato and I think it looks interesting. And though it doesn't sound very techy I'm getting some Haibane Renmei 'cause it sounds interesting, too.

In any case, if you happen to know of something I'd like, let me know and I'll look into it. Give me some background on what it's about.

Thanks all!

the original Maniak
outlaw star - older but great series ( very simalar to cowboy bebop - )this is a safe bet- its also cheap on R1's now -- i picked up my R1 copy for around 30 bucks - Smile
BERSERK
Full Metal Alchemist (the one anime that ive yet to meet someone who dislikes it)
Texhnolyze
Heat Guy J (by director of bebop)
Elfen Lied
Kenshin
GTO

etc im too lazy to list more
homicidalManiak Wrote:Hey everybody. I'm new here so I thought I'd post and say hello. Also, I'm looking for some good animes that are up my alley. I'll give you an idea of what I like so far and what I'm looking at. If you have suggestions just let me know.

I'm a huge fan of Cowboy Bebop (I know, I know, who isn't?). I've also watched and thoroughly enjoyed Trigun, Witch Hunter Robin, Chobits, Hellsing, Samurai Champloo, Neon Genesis: Evangelion, RahXephon, and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (there's probably another one, but if there is I can't think of it right now).

I saw half of the first episode of Excel Saga and hated it.

As you can probably tell from what I do like, I'm into more of the sci-fi type stuff. I also tend to lean more towards stuff that looks similar to those listed above (i.e. more realistic looking as opposed to the big eyes and cutesy miniaturizations). I'm probably catch flak, but I can't watch anything where the main character talks in one of those high-pitched, I'm-on-coffee-and-speed-at-the-same-time voices. I'm not sure how much of an issue this is with the original Japanese because I usually watch dubbed animes (you don't have to give me the lecture about subbed being the best way to watch, I've already had it :p ).

Anyway, I've heard that Texhnolyze is good, as is Wolf's Rain. I'm getting some Outlaw Star because I've heard that is pretty good and I thought I should give it a try. In looking around I've come across Space Battleship Yamato and I think it looks interesting. And though it doesn't sound very techy I'm getting some Haibane Renmei 'cause it sounds interesting, too.

In any case, if you happen to know of something I'd like, let me know and I'll look into it. Give me some background on what it's about.

Thanks all!

the original Maniak

If you want something thats more realistic than most anime then I would suggest Berserk. It's one of the best anime I have ever seen. Most animes that are set in medival times seem to suck. But Berserk shows the medival world in all it's glory. And the english voice acting is very, very good.
Berserk (you can't not like this series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

And you should definatly check out Generator Gawl if you like sci fi ( gawls dub is one of the best i have seen and the characters and plot is great.)

By they way r1 collection of gawl is just 30 bucks at overstock.
Let me be the first to welcome you to the forums (where's your maners people Wink )

We seem to have the same taste in anime. Check my hkdvd listing here http://www.import-anime.com/user_dvd.php...er_id=1543

Top of the list is Berserk, Now&then here&there, Naruto, full metal panic, Ghibli movies set, Irrisponsible catain Tylor, Nadesico, X-tv, Grappler Baki and lets not forget Kenshin. Content reviews are all over the net. Good luck!
Sci-fi/Horror:
Serial Experiments Lain
BoogiePop Phantom
Texhnolyze

Fantasy:
Berserk, Berserk, Berserk
Bastard!!!
Record of Lodoss War
Vampire Hunter D movies

Just plain good:
Haibane Renmei
Niea_7
Wolf's Rain
Get Backers
Chrono Crusade

Samurai Stuff:
Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X
Samurai Deeper Kyo
Samurai Champloo
Welcome abord Smile

Here's a good few titles, what you've seen is some great anime, my fellow peeps have mentioned a few below but here it goes:

Berserk
X (TV Series)
Descendants of Darkness
Heat Guy J
Full Metal Alchemist
Rurouni Kenshin
s.Cry.Ed
Samurai Deeper Kyo
Witch Hunter Robin
Soul Taker (A Personal Fav)
The Big O

Theres a good few to get through, + if you get the chance go on IRC and get a few Naruto fansub episodes, its a great series
guts45 Wrote:Welcome abord Smile

Here's a good few titles, what you've seen is some great anime, my fellow peeps have mentioned a few below but here it goes:

Berserk
X (TV Series)
Descendants of Darkness
Heat Guy J
Full Metal Alchemist
Rurouni Kenshin
s.Cry.Ed
Samurai Deeper Kyo
Witch Hunter Robin
Soul Taker (A Personal Fav)
The Big O

Theres a good few to get through, + if you get the chance go on IRC and get a few Naruto fansub episodes, its a great series

I can't beleive I forgot sCRYed, Soul Taker, and Heat Guy J in my list!

Heat Guy J has consistently blown my mind... I still have 2 volumes left to watch... it just keeps getting better and better.
Not at ALL Sci-Fi but one of the greatest Great Teacher Onizuka if you havent seen it get it now!
Holy cow! That's a lot of anime. Thanks guys! I'll be sure to look into those.

I was also thinking of some other anime I'd heard was good. Initial D seems to be pretty popular (and though the premise seems a bit silly it also sounds interesting). Also, I've heard of one called Legend of Black Heaven which looks interesting, too. And what about Blue Submarine No. 6?

I think Cartoon Network needs to make an all anime channel. All anime, all the time. Then I'd be able to see this stuff before dropping money on it. I love Blockbuster, but their anime section leaves much to be desired. Hollywood Video's is more extensive, but it's all on VHS. Blah (I spoil myself rotten when it comes to my movies; must be on DVD or I hate sitting through it Big Grin).

And hopefully FX can get up and going again because I love their sets. I'm so glad I got what I did before that whole thing happened.

I headed over to Overstock and picked up Generator Gawl and the first disc of Texhnolyze in the artbox (I hate it when my series cases are free-floating). Plus I've got Outlaw Star and Haibane Renmei on the way. Those should keep me busy for a while. Now if I could find a perfect collection of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex with English dubbing (one episode on adult swim and I'm already hooked Tongue).
Watch Last Exile. Best anime I've ever watched!
yeah FMA is awesome

your list is basically my list except for hellsing and chobits mostly

try gundam wing thats really good some people argue but i thought it was very good
btw the is an all anime network i believe it's called the anime network or something like that

it only plays ADV stuff last time i checked so that kinda stinks

cus you will get some really good stuff but not all the good stuff like evangelion bebop so forth you might get 1 or 2 of the really good channels but i have never watched it i just viewed the list
There's a cable station over here in Ireland/U.K that plays anime non-stop (outlaw star, bebop, gundam etc) called 'Toonamie' (think thats how it's spelt)

Its a great station exept for that god damn Sonic X
Pages: 1 2