Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Computer geeks/nerds needed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Okay I need help on buying a new computer which will be build on pcclub.com. Okay for chipsets I have an option between an AMD Sempron 3100 or a Intel Celeron D 2800.

Okay which is better? I'm not looking to play computer games on the computer so that won't matter.

The fastest AMD Sempron is the 3100 but it runs at 1.8 GHz while the fastest Intel Celron D 2800 which runs at 2.8 GHz. Here's a link that shows the statistics for both chipsets.
http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q3/sem...dex.x?pg=2

Does Ghz matter or not since the Intel Celeron D 2800 runs 1GHz faster than the AMD Sempron 3100.

I'm just looking to use the computer for DSL Internet, downloading and CD/DVD burning.

Any help would be apreciated. Smile
I would go with the AMD just because you will not need a CPU that runs at 2.8Ghz for what you will be doing with your computer. 1.8 is fine for what you will be doing.
-spike- Wrote:I would go with the AMD just because you will not need a CPU that runs at 2.8Ghz for what you will be doing with your computer. 1.8 is fine for what you will be doing.

Don't even bother talking in terms of CPU cycles when it comes to AMD processors.

Go with an AMD Athlon64 processor, instead. Skip the socket 754 if you can, since that will soon be phased out. Socket 939 is where it's at. Do not get a 3400+, since that is literally neutered.
kakomu Wrote:Don't even bother talking in terms of CPU cycles when it comes to AMD processors.

Go with an AMD Athlon64 processor, instead. Skip the socket 754 if you can, since that will soon be phased out. Socket 939 is where it's at. Do not get a 3400+, since that is literally neutered.

When will the socket 939 come out or is it already out?

Well I can spend a few bucks more for a Intel Pentium 4 530 3.0 GHz 1m S775.
http://www.pcclub.com/product_system_det...no=EN-SB4#

But it has a 775 socket so um what is it worth buying?

Anyone know the best place to buying computers? Any stores recommend it? I only can spend up too $760.
http://www.newegg.com

P4 Chips don't perform as well as Athlon 64s, especially for the price. 939 is already out. I currently have a SOcket 754 Athlon64 3000+. It's hella-nice
Dude, he doesnt really need that fast of a processor is hes not even going to be playing games. Plus 64 bit is expensive. But I guess its better to have a good one ahead of time so he doesnt have to upgrade later. But your right, AMD out performers INTEL any day.
kakomu Wrote:Don't even bother talking in terms of CPU cycles when it comes to AMD processors.

Okay great kakomu-sensei you convince me to buy a AMD Athlon64 processor 3500+ socket 939.

I'll ask my uncle to build the computer for me. What parts would you recommed for me to buy?

I already know I want a 512mb ram lol I don't think I can afford a 1Ghz.

What about the motherboard it doesn't matter which I buy for what?

I'll buy a 80GB.

New speakers.

I already have a 52X CD-Rom. I'll probably buy a 52x32x52 CD burner then later a DVD burner.

Don't know about a video card which would you recommend a good and somewhat cheap price video card lol.

A sound card.

So um what else should I buy for the computer? Any thing that I'm missing?

Oh and my uncle can add the software so I don't need help on the software.
I would get a DVD burner now since it can burn CDs as well. I'm waiting for next-gen Disk tech. though. And you are really going to be wasting your money on a processor like that. Gaming, video editing and graphics are the only things I would suggest something that beefy for.
ZODDGUTS Wrote:Okay great kakomu-sensei you convince me to buy a AMD Athlon64 processor 3500+ socket 939.

I'll ask my uncle to build the computer for me. What parts would you recommed for me to buy?

I already know I want a 512mb ram lol I don't think I can afford a 1Ghz.

What about the motherboard it doesn't matter which I buy for what?

I'll buy a 80GB.

New speakers.

I already have a 52X CD-Rom. I'll probably buy a 52x32x52 CD burner then later a DVD burner.

Don't know about a video card which would you recommend a good and somewhat cheap price video card lol.

A sound card.

So um what else should I buy for the computer? Any thing that I'm missing?

Oh and my uncle can add the software so I don't need help on the software.

Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDes...463&depa=0
it comes with on-board audio, so no need for an Audio card

For your video card, I reccomend a Radeon 9600 Pro or XT (don't get a regular or SE version) for cheap or a Geforce 4 Ti (not an MX). Both of which are inexpensive

When you buy ram, make sure that it's DDR400 or PC3200

Buy the DVD Burner. It's only about $30 more than the CD burner.

Get yourself a good power supply unit. Try and get something 350 W or higher. Since you're using an older case, it probably doesn't have a lot of the new fangled power leads that you would need. For your power supply, do NOT go cheap. I reccomend: Antec and Thermaltake. Currently, I use a Thermaltake 420W PSU.

Get some arctic silver thermal compound. You use this when you put the heatsink on top of your processor.

The motherboard I reccomended comes with SATA, so if you get a new HD make sure you buy an SATA HD. The cables are smaller and the drive is faster. The price is not much higher than an IDE HD.

To squelch your fears, Athlon 64s are NOT expensive. In face, before the XP line was faded and overtaken by the Sempron line, the Athlon 64s were the SAME prices as their counterpart XPs or LESS. The A64 3000+ was actually less expensive than the XP 3000+ when I bought mine. P4s, on the other hand, are hideously expensive at almost any level. My 3000+ was $165 a month or two ago. Right now, you can't buy anything over 2.8 Ghz for that much, and my 3000+ was kicking the 3 Ghz and above P4 asses.

Lastly, their need is irrelevent. If they want the 3500+, so be it. Don't try and convince them otherwise. However, there is quite a disparity in price between the 3500+ and 3000+ ($122), however, if that's what you want, go ahead. Just make sure that when you buy the chip, you know which type you're getting. If it's OEM, you need to get a seperate Heatsink and Fan. If you're getting retail, it will be just fine.
Blight Wrote:I would get a DVD burner now since it can burn CDs as well. I'm waiting for next-gen Disk tech. though. And you are really going to be wasting your money on a processor like that. Gaming, video editing and graphics are the only things I would suggest something that beefy for.

My god just when I got the confidence to get an AMD Athlon 64 3500 I get kicked in the balls. I'm so confused lol should I get that chip or not dam you Blight!!! :p

Oh and what do you mean by next gen Disk tech? Do you mean a faster Disk burner? I think I can buy a 16X DVD burner-rom with a CD 52X32X52 combo burner.
AMD don't out perform Intel any day.. there are some situations which Intel performs better.. and one area is Reliabilty. I know more people haveing MB issues and such outta AMD chipsets. But hopefully those are resolved and VIA and them start making better ones. Also thouhgh AMD64 is alot better then I64 soultion.. Hence why Intel reversed engineered AMD's 64 instructions and are starting to add them to newest P4's
ZODDGUTS Wrote:What about the motherboard it doesn't matter which I buy for what?

I <3 MSI motherboards, just totally badass. Get one. Now.

What type of videocard do you want ? One that plays dvds and avi files or one that can withstand the latest games ?
Atomic Orgasm Wrote:I <3 MSI motherboards, just totally badass. Get one. Now.

What type of videocard do you want ? One that plays dvds and avi files or one that can withstand the latest games ?

Eh not looking to play video games, looking for a videocard that can play dvd's and avi files well.
My God!!! Do you think I?m that poor?. :p

Okay here?s what I got so far from looking at newegg.com items for my build computer any suggestions if the parts are good or crap then please do tell me because seriously guys I have no freaking clue what I?m buying.

Cpu: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 512k, L2 Cache Socket+ 939 $272

Memory: Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed series 184 Pin 512 MB DDR PC-3200- OEM. $98.75

Motherboard: $120 MSI lol forgot the description I?ll look for it later.

Video Card: Rosewill Radeon 9600 Video Card, 256 MB DDR, 128-Bit, DVI/TV- out, 8X AGP, Model ?RW9600- 256 D? $88.50

Fan/Heatsink: I have no idea um I saw a good one for 50 bucks??

Hard drive: Samsung 160 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, Model sp1614N10 $89.50

DVD/CD Burner: Eh uh? I saw a good one for 80 bucks Which can burn 16x.

Anything one have any comments anything lol I?m forgetting. I think my uncle can get the slip cases I think that?s what there called right?? So far $867.50 total w/tax a bit too high anything I can cut back on you know something a "bit" cheapter maybe by 10 to 15 bucks cut back on a few items?
Pages: 1 2