Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Ten geekiest hobbies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I don't write these things... I just report them.

Check out the article at http://www.thewavemag.com/printarticle.p...leid=24184 to see what they've rated as the 10 geekiest hobbies out there. I'm pleased to say that anime isn't included on the list but I kind of think it should be given the rest of the hobbies listed.
Everquest should not be on that list. Although I don't disagree to damage to sex life if I play it like I used to... lol. Just gotta find a girl that plays the game or learn to play it casually. (aka, never be in a big guild again)
What are you talking about?! Everquest should be on the top of the list.
Speaking of Everquest, I just played the beta thats out for 3 days of Guildwars, its pretty fun. Dont know if id buy it though.

I think computer hacker should be added to that list.
LARPing is the geekiest thing to do.

After that Cosplaying.

As for the list linked, Furryism isn't so much a geeky hobby as a fetish. There is a difference.
kakomu Wrote:LARPing is the geekiest thing to do.

After that Cosplaying.

As for the list linked, Furryism isn't so much a geeky hobby as a fetish. There is a difference.
You?re right that is a fetish. Cosplay should be in that spot.

Does it take just one of those do make you a loser or is their like a certain percentage you have to be involved in? Cause I use to fall into three of the categories but now just Manga if you count it the same as commix.
you're as geeky as you believe you are. I go partying and drinking and try to socialize, but I know, deep down, I'm a big nerd because I like star trek, video games and Rifts.
kakomu Wrote:you're as geeky as you believe you are. I go partying and drinking and try to socialize, but I know, deep down, I'm a big nerd because I like star trek, video games and Rifts.

Wow. You like Rifts??? Rifts is AWESOME. It seems like hardly anyone knows about Rifts because of the prevalance of CCG's and D&D. Are you into any of the other palladium stuff?
that was a funny site! But then again if you think about it most of the people involved in these geeky hobbies are the peaceful types (except the vampirism). I mean they dont do drugs and beat up people like NON GEEKS do. The only downside of being a geek in public is it does affect your ability to get hot chicks (only geeky chicks). Big Grin
rarnom Wrote:Wow. You like Rifts??? Rifts is AWESOME. It seems like hardly anyone knows about Rifts because of the prevalance of CCG's and D&D. Are you into any of the other palladium stuff?

Unfortunately, no. I can't afford the books and just play at the few friends' houses that actually own any of the stuff.
Its sad when you know that at one point of your life you were doing one or more of the items on that list. I have no problem admitting them eather up until age 14 I collected comic books and I was one of them Diablo freaks when Battlenet was first used.
kakomu Wrote:Unfortunately, no. I can't afford the books and just play at the few friends' houses that actually own any of the stuff.
Yah, I first got into the old TMNT and Robotech roleplaying back when I was 13. After I got a better job I started scouring used book stores and RPG shops and got tons of the books (usually around $10 a pop), so I have a ton of the game books. The sad thing is that it is just so hard to find cool people who are into it around here. Sad

Funny Rifts related story:
So I ordered the X-mas Palladium grab bag on year and I got a cool black Rifts T-Shirt. Now even though I like Rifts, I am not a HARDCORE rpg guy. I liked playing it, but it was more for me about collecting and building the collection of game books. Anyway, so every so often I dig wearing the shirt because I hope someone will see it and then we can talk Rifts. So I am at this grocery store at night and I notice this dude eyeing me kind of wierd. Then he is kind of creepily following me and then comes up to me and says kind of quietly "Are you a Neo-Human?" I am thinking like 'what the...?' and then I remember I have my rifts shirt on and I am all, "Oh, Rifts!" then we chatted a bit, but the dude was way wierd. :eek:
Jeez, 'neo-human'??? That was just too much. But, it comes with the territory I guess.
Alright I was just in denial. Everquest belongs at the top... I admit it.

I played the eq2 beta for a while. I don't like the direction that game is going in at all. I sold my beta account to someone about a week ago for $50. Can't believe someone wanted to buy a beta account so they could play eq2 for about 1-2 months before the game comes out just to have the beta account cancelled.... some people have too much money I think lol.
I'm also glad to see that anime isn't on the list. However, the way some people talk about it really scares me. They rave on and on about it, in a really nerdy, please-hit-me kind of tone.

For example, there is this one chunky guy in my university's anime club, he came up to our booth (during club promotion week) and started chattering on and on about how Ranma 1/2 was his favorite anime. That's normally fine, except this guy has a really nerdy high-pitched voice, which was getting on my nerves. Just when I thought the guy was about to leave, he starts singing loudly and off-key the Ranma 1/2 opening theme, in front of everyone! It took every ounce of my willpower not to snap at him to shut up (and possibly alienate any potential new club members nearby, which this guy was doing anyway by singing like that). Surprisingly, I managed a small grin, thanked the guy for showing up, and asked him to move aside so other people can also check out the booth. My fellow club members and I were laughing about that for quite some time.

Needless to say, most anime fans I know aren't this candid with their appreciation of anime. Otherwise, I'd be really, really worried about the reputation of anime in North America.
takumi25 Wrote:The only downside of being a geek in public is it does affect your ability to get hot chicks (only geeky chicks). Big Grin

Never had a problem with that, its all about the attitude and charm.
Pages: 1 2 3