Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Books Recommendations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I just finished Da Vinci Code. Amazed me since not a lot of books will make me want to finish them within a day, apart from Harry Potter! Big Grin Wink

Just wondering if anyone can recommend me more good books to read?

Anyone read Angels and Demons yet? How is it? Thanks!
A friend of mine read The Da Vinci Code and thought it was extremely interesting. I'm thinking of buying it next month but at the moment I'm reading The Witching Hour (Anne Rice) which is 1038 pages long and I still have 550 pages to go.
I think you should try reading The Last Kabbalist of Lisbon (Richard Zimler). It's a very good book about a real story that took place in Lisbon 500 years ago. If you're into the whole vampire/witch scene you should read Anne Rice's books, especially because they're so much more than books about vampires and witches. They're just excuses for Anne to write wonderful books full of History.
Great. Now we got our own chapter of Oprah's book club. Rolleyes

I'd recommend the Hardy boys or those Encyclopedia Brown books. Big Grin
You got anything against reading books? :mad:
I don't mind anything as long as they keep me interested. I like Anne Rice even though the last books I read was Queen of the Damned and Interview of the Vampire.

Man.....way behind. That's what happen when I slacked off years on reading. Rolleyes
Andromeda18_ Wrote:You got anything against reading books? :mad:

No. I just don't do it often. Didn't you notice that the books that I recommended are ones that I read back in elementary school? :p
I talked to my mom about it. She said that after she read Da Vinci code, she thought it was rather amateurish.

Books I reccomend: The Hot Zone, Eye of the World, Brave New World, Foundation (all of it), and if you wish a precursor to Foundation: I, Robot, Robot Dreams and the rest of Asimov's Robot books.
Japschin Wrote:I don't mind anything as long as they keep me interested. I like Anne Rice even though the last books I read was Queen of the Damned and Interview of the Vampire.

Man.....way behind. That's what happen when I slacked off years on reading. Rolleyes

I didn't really like Interview with the Vampire much, but then again it was her first book, she was still an amateur. Her most amazing books are The Vampire Lestat, Queen of the Damned (which you have to read after The Vampire Lestat 'cause it's its sequel), and The Witching Hour, but all her books are, IMO, amazing!
Vicious Wrote:No. I just don't do it often. Didn't you notice that the books that I recommended are ones that I read back in elementary school? :p

It wouldn't hurt you to read more often, you know. Wink
I loved the dead zone by stephen king, when they made that into a tv series I was so happy.

Also for an excellent romantic comedy (leaning more to romance than comedy) Ralph's Party by Lisa Jewell. I spoke to her once, about some tips on writing books. She's the best Smile
The last book I read that made an impression on me was "Out" by Natsuo Kirino. After reading that, I just wanted to devote a huge chunk of my time reading more japanese literature. Out is sort of like a mystery novel. It's got the most interesting characters, a group of women who work in a lunch meat-packing factory. Pretty much focuses on the thoughts of the lower class. I loved it because it gave me more insight to Japan. Plus the plot is so good. My eyes would be hurting and I still wouldn't stop reading.
I can't read books without pictures, preferably colour. Sometimes after a hard day, even a manga graphic novel seems too much, same with some anime unless it is light hearted stuff like shin chan or doraemon... i rather just stick on some music and chill out.

I read so many books while studying that i rarely pick up a book now...
I have a hard time picking out a specific book to recommend. I tend to follow authors and pick up a whole bunch of their books to read one after the other.
My author du jour is Robert J. Sawyer who writes some near future science fiction. He does a great job of taking current research trends and fleshing them out with great characters and well thought out possible futures. The first book I read by him was Calculating God which totally hooked me but it isn't his best by any stretch of the imagination. End of an Era and his more recent Hominids trilogy were both better reads.

I forget who wrote it but I read Cryptonomicon a few months ago and thought that was a great book. The over all story was a bit weak but the authors way of describing everything was a pure joy to read.

I've also read the first four Harry Potter books and have the fifth sitting beside my bed waiting for me to read it. I've started it a few times now but just can't seem to get into it. It seems to me that the series has started to grow stagnant but I've been told that it gets much better if I just give the book a chance.

Other authors that I highly recommend are Orson Scott Card (Enders Game is a MUST read book), William Gibson, Larry Niven (Ringworld is a classic that stands the tests of time), Clifford D. Simak, Ray Bradbury, Michael Crichton, Neil Gaiman, and Warren Ellis.
Just recently I've been collecting a few books, although all of what I read is short easy to read teen books, I can still suggest a few.

First of all, probably my favorite romance vampire book is The Sliver Kiss. It's a really sad story with a depressing ending, nearly made me cry=exceltent book.
Silver Kiss is by Annette Klause.
I also have her books Blood & Chocolate, & Alien Secrets. Blood & Chocolate is ok, while Alien Secrets doesn't really spark my attention all that well.

Green Angel, by Alice Hoffman; It started out kinda to slow for my interest, but by reading the summary I knew it would get better, & although it was long & drawn out even though the book is really short, it ended up being a very beautiful book, which may only be due to the fact that i can relate to some of the pain that the Narrorator went through.

A Demon in My View, by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes; I picked it up & turned to the back of the book to find the picture of a familur woman, I must seen the book on the net, anyways, as always it was a random buy at the time, & I love the book. It reminds me of a story I once tried to write only a 1000 times better. It's like a happy version of The Silver Kiss, in other words another human-vampire love story.
Her other books that I own include Midnight Predator, & The Shattered Mirror, both of which are also worth a read, & all three listed are about vampires.

Currently I'm reading Thirsty, by M.T. Anderson; it's a first person perspective of a boy turning into a vampire. I haven't gotten far into it, but it seems a bit promising. Also, i'm trying to read a couple of older stories like The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Dracula, & The Picture of Dorian Gray (which I was told by a friend that it was quite the good book).

*edit*
Forgot one more book I'd suggest, not because it's good but because when it's finally published & sold I'd be the one making money off of it.
Shards of Violet: A Girl in Torture, by me.
The first section of the book follows a girl named Violet through her strange life; she prays for death, & it is nearly delivered. The grim reaper catches her fading soul, & tortures the will to live back into her, from there her life goes on as any normal humans, save for her undying love for the being known as Death. In the third chapter Violet meets her demise at the hands of the illness we call life, & is finally reunited with the Grim Reaper.
Then came the 4th chapter & I basicly messed up the whole series.
The rest of the book is random plotless stories of suicide & murder. Decent for a "gothic" horror themed book I guess.
The book will hopefully be in stores sometime after I get off my lazy butt & put myself through the torture of reading & editing it.
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm going to try to find all of them at the library. If not, will try to buy them online. Heh...i just hate buying books coz I know that max i'll read them again would be twice.
Pages: 1 2 3 4