Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Making an Anime Studio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I'm sure they do lose money on some of the titles. They don't have a crystal ball, so they don't know what titles will be successful and which ones won't.

So exactly who were you dealing with at ADV for this job of yours? I know whose in charge of their marketing and could easily ask them. I'm sure you must at least remember the name of the person right?

Sure. Whatever. Your thread. You want to recruit people, go ahead. I wasn't flaming, but whatever.
honestly by looking at a series or watching the origional japanese version you can damn well tell if it will sell or not. and also look if it was popular in japan ! period thats it from me about adv

oh and honestly i dont remember which person it was i think it was a guy but i cant remember. i might have it on my old computer his name and stuff cause i got it to call him cause our first conversations about this he was siked, cause the network was just launching and the mag getting out to more stores. and it wasent a job it was a contract to help them get out to more people to gain more fans.

i still plan to help other comapnies but im going to stay away from ADV. im just not into them as i was before.

-LE
then why has Macross never been dubed then???
it has well some of the series i have seen it on a site also manga i think owns it . it doesnt look like a series i would get into . im not into that old stuff the bad animation( i know its hand drawen but disney's stuff was too an dit was alot better !) there are alot of hand drawen anime i love this one just isnt one !

-LE
I think this is a cool idea like I said earlier, but with all the places that do this already how much money are you wanting to burn to get your foot in the door?
ADV prices are pretty good here, around 30$CDN a DVD at retail stores which usually sells DVDs around MRSP. Pioneer, Bandai goes for like 45$CDN at those same stores.

Starting a brand new compnay seems to bit over ambitious if you ask me and so far Last exile you haven't showed us any real plans and/or numbers so of course people will doubt what you say.
about licensing fee, i think if you're market is low, such as in my country,
then the fee would be lower, thats why import manga like tokyo pop is like 5 times more expensive than licensed here.

but business is not my thing.
though rippeing and encoding video is

if you do get started, i think you should know better than not to release crappy stuff Smile
Anime business is not my forte, Music is though. Me and 2 friends tried to start a little record company up here for local bands. We couldn't find a bank that was willing to give 3 guys one fresh out of college 2 still in the start up we would of needed to get off the ground
Vicious is right. Companies do not need a person like you (a fan) to tell them what they should do and they won't take you serious unless you have a big bag of money to bring to the table in which case you maybe would be able to use their facilities. So going into a partnership is probably out of the question.

If you want to form your own company than this could work. You need to do alot of research and write a sweet business plan. If you've never writen one than first take classes cause this is the most important thing for starting a company. A good business plan can get you partners and a bank loan. You'll also have something to show to the Jap. companies who won't want to give a license to a company they don't know anything about.

So you either need a big bag of money to go to R1 companies or you need a very good business plan to start things of.
Sometimes the people who buy the product are the people you should be listening to.

Who says Japanese companies won't listen to you if your not some big name company? I believe the more no's you hear the more that reinforces you as being a hard worker.

Yes nothing can be done unless you have a good business plan which is what every business needs.
Quote:Originally posted by Last Exile
also i have been researching this i have been wanting to do this for awhile like starting my own biz cause alot of my friends in bands and at comapnies need promotion. to get out there !
-LE

Sounds like you want to start an advertising firm...That's all they do. They create ads and promote their clients.
Back on the MSRP thing to back up Vicious. First you used an ADV site, if they set their MSRP at $29.98, would they want to sell it at a discount? If they sold it for $24.98, shouldn't that then be the MSRP? Go to DVD pacific or DDD, where you can find those discs for $17.99, the price of CDs in some Mall stores. :eek:

Second those disc don't have three episodes, the wedding peach one has 5 and the Blue Seed either has 6 or 7, didn't see which volume it was.

Further note, I bought the Blue Seed Perfect Collection at Best Buy for $39.95 2 years ago, it's even cheaper online.

You don't seem to be one to buy R1s. No offense, but you don't seem to understand it at all. Few more releases for you to ponder.

Any $30 from ADV can be bought for $18 online. Same goes for Bandai. Geneon/Pioneer goes for $20. Animeigo $25 go for $15. $90 perfect collections of ADV usually go for $60.

There are so many re-prices it's crazy. Escaflowne is now down to $15, and can be found for $8. Fancy Lala is down to $10 and can be found for $6.

So many releases don't follow the $30 for 4 episode format.

Bandai released budget releases of smaller series like Don't Leave me Alone Daisy, and Haunted Junction for $40 with 12 subbed episodes.

Funimation releases two disc sets of Dragon Ball with at least 15 episodes and sometimes as high as 20, uncut, for $39.95 (find it for $23).

The only two obscene series in my opinion were FLCL, and Armored Trooper VOTOMs. FLCL released by Synch Point, had 2 episodes on 3 discs at $30 each. In total it would cost you $60, no insane, but certainly no bargain. VOTOMs is a different story. 52 episodes, on 16 discs. Often 3 episodes to a disc. Of course this was by Nutech, before they did hentai, and replicated for CPM. The series is amazing and well worth the $30 a disc. I however bought a bundle on Right Stuf, for $90. 16 discs for $90. :p

I hate typing stuff that people won't bother to read, but I'll go into detail if Vicious needs to take a break for a few. Smile
Mr Talking Pie... I read your entire rant.

I thought that Vicious had done a fine job of debunking our young dreamer here. I think that LE put up one feeble defence of his statement on price and has since moved on to other lame attempts to show he knows what he's talking about.

I agree that it's a shame they over priced VOTOMS so much. I have all four box sets of the VHS series and it remains one of my favourite classic anime. I haven't even seen a good HK set of VOTOMS... I would probably pick it up...

I think we all realize that LE has some ideas that he would like to see happen. I believe what he needs to do now is to put together some sort of business plan to see what sort of titles are available for licensing, how much that licensing would cost, how much translation and possibly dubbing could cost, advertising, distribution, and all the other little things that go into running an international business.

Until he comes up with that sort of business plan all his words amount to a good finger workout as he types his baseless ideas.
Quote:Originally posted by Zagatto
Until he comes up with that sort of business plan all his words amount to a good finger workout as he types his baseless ideas.

Indeed.
So, How old is he? I'm not trying to make age an issue, but it honestly takes awhile to make connections that are going to help you launch that type of business.
Yeah, no.
i am 19.
i have done pretty good for my self up till now i am driven to do what i love. i promote and have been for all kinds of things you have heard of and maybe didnt untill i started helping. you all make me sick that all you can do is try and put me down cause you cant do things that are hard or higher then you can handle. so i am here and i will always be, to actualy try stuff not sit back and watch and put down ! so if you dont try, how do you know it can't work. i could start picking on all the fucking haters but i dont have time ! so have fun trying to piss me off cause im over it ! im working right now on my site for my new company.

so later haters!

-LE
Pages: 1 2 3 4