Import Anime Forums

Full Version: music
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
i would like to say that i love lacuna coil.
has any one here actually listen to afi before they were mainstream, before the days of jade puget and hunter, when a fire inside was called ask for it and anthems for insubordinates, because seems like with the release of sing the sorrow everyones a fan of them. thats good for afi and all, but i don't like going to thier concerts and being surrounded by 15 year olds, i miss the old days.

NOFX, Nerve Agents, Tiger Army, TSOL, AFI, Nekromantics, cofin bangers, misfits, 45 grave, tool, NIN, death by stereo, Bad religion, alien sex fiend, cruxshadows, bella Morte, massive attack, portishead, snake river conspiracy, pj harvy, CAKE and too many others to mention
Quote:Originally posted by israfel
i would like to say that i love lacuna coil.
has any one here actually listen to afi before they were mainstream, before the days of jade puget and hunter, when a fire inside was called ask for it and anthems for insubordinates, because seems like with the release of sing the sorrow everyones a fan of them. thats good for afi and all, but i don't like going to thier concerts and being surrounded by 15 year olds, i miss the old days.

NOFX, Nerve Agents, Tiger Army, TSOL, AFI, Nekromantics, cofin bangers, misfits, 45 grave, tool, NIN, death by stereo, Bad religion, alien sex fiend, cruxshadows, bella Morte, massive attack, portishead, snake river conspiracy, pj harvy, CAKE and too many others to mention

I have listend to AFI for a while. You are right, they went too main stream with thier new album, I still like it, but it too bad.

I just started listening to Rise Against, they are a very cool band. Check them out if you get a chance.
dose anyone listen to tool, soundgarden or pearl jam. Placebo are really good too.
Quote:Originally posted by israfel

I started listening to AFI about 4-5 years ago. I'll agree their last CD did not impress me, not that it would matter much seeing as how I stopped listening to them all that much about a year ago when they got popular (which isn't the reason I stopped listening to them, I had a HUGE amount of bad memories attached to their music, so I just dropped) & all the little 13-14 year old girls started listening to it so they could catch the eye of the "punk" boys. And by punk I mean those who wear all black, spike their hair & listen to Blink 182, GC, & Simple Plan, but claim to like all the old stuff so they're still cool in their own eyes when they're not to stoned out of their minds to know they're alive.

And I've had people try to correct me on this, but for me AFI just lost all their spirit when it comes to their newest work. It's sad, so very sad.
Ah Punk...

Having grown up in the 70s and 80s, I remember punk being bands like the Ramons, Sex Pistols, MC 5, and almost The Clash (they went beyond punk in my opinion). This modern punk music by Blink 182, The Offspring, Sum 41 and all the other bands that have picked up the punk monnicker are something else entirely.

I like to call this new music "corporate punk" because of how polished the sound is and the fact that the subject matter tends to be less controversial (more songs about girlfriends now) than the classic punk. Don't get me wrong, I really like these new bands, I just don't feel that any service is being done by including these new bands in the same category as the older bands. The musical stylings and more importantly, the attitude are too wildly different to be the same style.

Does anyone else agree with me about the label of "corporate punk"?

I almost went into "new country" as well but I really don't care about that as much. I love Loretta Lynn's new album but I'm afraid that has more to do with Jack White than it does with the album being country. I also loved Johnny Cash's American Recordings but beyond those two artists, I find country music to be a large void not worth my time (although I will watch Shania Twain with the volume turned all the way down).
in my mind the one true punk band was Minor Threat. they were only D.I.Y. and completely anti corperate. It pains me when i see someone wearing a minor threat tee shirt, because they never had merchandise. you made your own. you can't forget zegatto bad religion and NOFX. they have been around since the early 80's and more integral than the ramones and sex pistols in my mind. today they've become corperate punk(ramones and sex pistols that is.)
i agree with you 100% on the label of corporate punk, it sickens me. i'm sick and tired of bands like good charlote who dress up all punk and hardcore and they are nothing more than a boy band, same with simple plan, new found glory and many other bands.
this is why i like bands like Dog Fashion Disco or Mindless self indulgence, not many people know of them, and they aren't tainted by corperate america.
i hate ranting about music
i agree with you on the coporate punk label. i agree with you too israfel. they are just a bunch of boy bands claiming punk because that is what's in right now. there are so many dumbass people walking around claiming to be hardcore and punk and shit and really just being a bunch of pussys. at least that's how it is around here. i try to listen to bands that aren't on the radio, that few people know about, but now that's starting to be cool and everyone's jumping on the wagon. radio stations are starting to exploit it too.
I think that most punk bands now adays are too emo. They completely suck. The Clash is one of my fav. bands, they are awsome. A band that I can not stand at all is Good Charllet, or how ever you spell thier gay ass name. When people ask me what kind of music I listen to I say punk, then they say " do you listned to good charrlet or blink 182". Then I lose all respect for the person right there. Those bands are not punk!
LOL you are true. But it all depends on what ppl call punk, good charlot and blink are all shit. They arnt really punk.
Charles Feelgood
Bad Boy Bill
Erick Morillo
Kenny Dope
Lil' Louie Vega
Harry "Choo choo" Romero
Armin Van Buuren
Paul Van Dyk
Karizma
Miguel Migs
Derrick Carter
Paul Johnson
Miss Kittin
Felix Da Housecat
Hernan Cattaneo
Sasha
John Digweed
Pete Tong
Sandra Collins
Rabbit in the Moon
Christopher Lawrence
Donald Glaude
Josh Wink
Armand Van Helden
Cassius
UNKLE
Dimitri from Paris
Bob Sinclair
Junior Jack
Sandy Rivera
Stanton Warriors
David Morales
Satoshi Tomiie

....and more.
Fav. Music:

System Of A Down
In Flames
Haibane Renmei [OST]
Yoko Kanno
DJ Shadow

Fav. Live Bands = Linkin Park & Barenaked Ladies
Some one give a clear definition of punk. I'm just interested.

A thought the Misfits were pretty bad ass.
Quote:Some one give a clear definition of punk. I'm just interested.

Yea some one help me out here. I didn't know Cake was Punk... I like Cake.
Cake is cool.

The Misfits rock.

I couldn't live in a world without Tool.

Monster Magnet is totally Bad Ass.
Tool are class
Pages: 1 2 3 4