Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Would you watch anime......
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Just wondering how many of you out there look at the cover of the anime, decides that the characters are pretty, then watch the anime.

I'm just pissed with my roommates.

Some of you may already know that I have this bad habit, that is not watching my dvds until the whole set is complete. AND my roommates HAVE A BAD HABIT OF TAKING ALL MY BRAND NEW DVDS WHICH I'VE NOT EVEN UNWRAPPED, not to mentioned unwatched, TO WATCH!!!

I don't mind my roommates taking my opened R1s to watch but not the unopened ones. I've been kind of busy lately, so I've not opened my King of Bandit, Haibane Renmei, Super Gals, Angelic Layer and Pretear to watch yet.

I lent my roommates my R1 Najica Blitz, Saber Marionette Ultimate Collection and Ceres Celestial. !*@&%!(*&@%, Najica came back with box creased, Saber's box almost torn and ceres' dvds scratched. They cut my X TV box accidentally with a razor. Wat da hell...

Went into my room an hour ago and tried to take my Haibane Renmei. Told them the whole set cost me almost $100 so anything happens, they pay. Well, my roommate's gf put the set back and took my devil lady.

Before taking devil lady, they tried to take my incomplete super gals and angelic layer. They could tell me in my face, " Oh! We don't mind watching anything incomplete!" What da hell?! Did they bother that I mind since I spent thousands of dollars on my R1 sets and I've not even opened and watched some of them??!!

My roommates are picky like hell, they only watch animes with pretty animations. They could tell me Escaflowne and X sucks coz their animations aren't pretty looking. Angel Links isn't good because the girl is ugly. El Hazard Magnificent World sucks coz animation is old. Cowboy Bebop is boring coz Spike is ugly. Rahxephon sucks because the characters aren't pretty etc........wat da ....

So just wondering how many of you are just like them?
I'll watch pretty much anything as long as it has a good solid story. Graphics take a back seat.Wink
Japschin,

I feel sorry for you. And you have a right to be pissed at them. I wouldn't like it if I had people opening my stuff before me and returning it in bad condition :mad:! Are these your roomates by choice? If they're watching anime for "pretty" characters then they're watching anime for the wrong reason.

To me, if the story is good, animation really doesn't matter.
I watch basicly anything, wheather it has a bad/to slow to get into storyline or not, just a stupid habbit I've developed after watching so much anime, till now it hijacks my brain.

Anyways, I have a friend like you're describing. He was highly disappointed in Trigun because the girls aren't pertty, & there's no sex...
Sad, so very sad.
But, a lot of people I know around here don't like Lupin III just because it's old, & they say it's badly animated. Screw that, Lupin rocks!
Well, I have to admit that the animation does help me decide on preorders sometimes. when I know nothing about an anime, and all I get to see is a cover or a trailer, then the animation does have an influence. But in the end, I'd much rather have something with an awesome story than something with awesome artwork and no story. A good example would be Twelve Kingdoms. I knew nothing about it and saw the covers for it and was like I'll pass on it. But after I got around to renting the 1st disc, I loved it and had to immediately watch the rest of what was out at the moment.

Your roommates sound like a bunch of dicks and you're doing nothing about it but bitching to us about them. Go tell them to fuck off and stop taking your shit. Don't know why you put up with them. It's obvious that you hate them taking your R1's. I would hate it too if they didn't take care of it. So next time just tell them NO!!!! Be like you guys don't take care of my shit so you can't have it. And if they still take it and you're not the violent/confrontational type (a problem that I don't seem to have), get a lock for your room so that they can't go in there while you're not there.
I admit, sometimes I look at the animation before I decide to buy anything. However, most of the time, I'll look for reviews and decide for myself if I like the contents enough to buy them.

Generally it's the story that wins me over, not the animation.

Ehhhhhh SirChico, Vicious:

It's a little difficult for me to say NO! coz my roommates are my bf's baby bro and his gf. Generally they are pretty nice, except when it comes to taking my R1s. I got really pissed coz they CUT my X Ltd Ed. Box, insulted some of my favorite animes of all time!!

I can't tell them out right, "I HATE YOU GUYS TAKING MY ANIMES WHEN I HAVE HKS FOR YOU TO WATCH!" I would do that to others but it's difficult for me to say so to them. I hinted to them that I do not watch/open any incomplete animes until they are complete and I would prefer them untouched. I've also told them that I've spent thousands of dollars on R1s and I don't like people touching/taking or flawing them when I have a lot of HK sets for people to watch. I told them have good stories and which are just average. They take a look at the HK covers and said," They don't look interesting enough. No pretty pictures so the show must be boring." and headed straight for my R1s, more pictures, more vibrant colors.

They don't go into my room when I'm not around. They GO when I'm there. It's not like they do not ask for permission, they do ask. They just have to take my unopened ones and insult my all time favorite animes: Rahxephon, X TV, Escaflowne, Bebop etc for petty reasons such as their animations aren't pretty.

I guess I'll be the bitch I always am towards them. Arg....I just hate confrontations or arguements with ppl you are living with since you see them everyday.
This is the way I see it. You can't get mad at them for insulting certain anime. You know they don't know anything about anime and have bad taste, so why care about their opinion. If they say Berserk sucks, just shrug your shoulders. Let them choose which ones they want even if you know they suck. I mean you don't have to watch it with them.

there are 2 things you can do about them damaging your DVD's. Either tell your boyfriend how they damaged your stuff and have him go deal with them. Or tell them yourself how they damaged your stuff, so you won't let them borrow stuff anymore. Unless they promise to pay for anything they damage from now on. Have them inspect everything when they're borrowing it so there are no disputes later as to if it was damaged before they borrowed it. You can even charge them like a $50-$100 security deposit and hold on to it.
My bf? Help me? He doesn't care about my animes since he thinks they are for kids. When I complain to him, he'll be like, "He's my baby bro, I can't do anything. What do you expect me to say since you guys are living together?"

HeheBig Grin I got mad with them not exactly because they insulted the animes. I got mad really because they damaged my freaking art boxes, especially X. I just happened to really like X's Box. Ceres' dvds, I don't really care coz I have one of those machines that will take off all scratches. BUT when the art boxes get damaged, there are no way around but to buy new ones. As for insulting animes, I just get feddup coz they keep asking me what's good what's good then end up insulting and not wanting to watch them.

I think the gf did get my hint yesterday about the Haibane Renmei set. She was the one who insisted on putting it back while my bf's bro kept wanting to take it. Overall, I don't think they get the hint that I don't want them to be touching my R1s especially when they have a dog which plays and chews everything.

I'll wait till they return the Devil Lady , which won't be like for another week, and tries to take my unopened/incomplete series. I'll just tell them that I don't want anyone to take my R1s.
Hide your unopened dvds, it could work, you just might have to lie about having them.
:p :eek: Big Grin Hell yeah...i'm going to do that a little by little. Just in case they see all gone and realised it blatantly. Coz my shelves are full with animes so it's ez for them to spot some missing since they are used to seeing the shelves full.

Worse come to worse, I'll tell them I sold those dvds. Heheh Big Grin
If you need an excuse as to why you would sell them, just say you plan to buy them again when the entire set is out, that way when they show up again they will be less likely to ask a stupid question, which they should already know the answer to.
Heh..good idea. Will just tell them that I got sick and tired of waiting months for the next volume to come out. Sold them all. Will buy only when the whole set is out and if I spot a bargain somewhere.

Big Grin :p
Ok, I'm just gonna have to comment on this one cause I was one of those types who looked at the cover and decided whether the characters were well drawn and cute enough to watch...

I did learn the errors of my way with Hellsing, I had put off getting that one because lets face it, the main character was ugly... but I got a couple of episodes on fan sub and watched them, and found out how good the story was... picked up the series and enjoyed it immensely....

The same goes for One Piece... I don't like the way the characters look, but my daughter likes it and so I end up watching it with her... the story is good... and I can get used to the artwork...

Saint Seiya was one of those where I thought the characters and animation were excellent, right up there with my favorite, Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust... and I only saw one fan sub raw of it... and went out and bought the entire series... so far, we've only gotten the first half of the Gold series watched... and I have enjoyed every bit of it, even though I'm not much of one for fighting anime... it hasn't been boring or repetitive.... the storyline is good...

I also had misconceptions about mech anime shows... I didn't like mech stuff and didn't want to watch it, didn't want to see anything that even had a bit of mechs in it... Boy that changed, I came in on the first episode of Escaflowne with the dragon and I was hooked... granted, it isn't all mechs, but it had a mech in it and so I didn't want to see it... Just as I'm not crazy about romantic types of anime... but because my daughter likes those types of shows, I usually end up watching them with her and most times my opinion changes...

There are only a few anime I didn't really care for... Nadesico I didn't care for, it had its moments, and I did like the movie much better although most people didn't... Evangelion was hyped way too much, it was alright, same with Boogie Pop Phantom, it was alright, didn't quite understand it, but oh well... As for Galaxy Express 999 TV series, it seems to be repetitive to me.. and just seemed to cover the same things that were in the movies which I liked and didn't really explain anymore of the storyline. As for Sailor Moon I get tired of watching the transformation scenes... Dragon Ball can get rather repetitive as well... but that doesn't mean I don't like to watch them...

That's not too much complaints from having seen well over 200 or more anime... Big Grin
Japschin, I hope all goes well for you Wink

If worse goes to real worse an alternative to taking them off the shelves could be.. getting glass cases like the ones in the stores and only you could open them with a key! The DVD's will always be in plain view, but not accessible Big Grin.
Quote:Originally posted by Japschin
Heh..good idea. Will just tell them that I got sick and tired of waiting months for the next volume to come out. Sold them all. Will buy only when the whole set is out and if I spot a bargain somewhere.

Big Grin :p

Lieing is not the way to go. It'll just make matters worse if they were to ever find out later that you lied to them. Just tell them the truth that you don't like your stuff being damaged.

Another alternative is to take them out of their cases and boxes when you give it to them. Just give them the discs in those little sleeves that we used to get the FX discs in. or buy one of those little CD holder cases and stick some in there for them. That way they still get to watch them and your boxes and stuff are still safe. that's what I do even when I let friends borrow my HK's. I don't want them damaming the boxes or anything because it's nearly impossible to replace them without having to buy a whole other set.
Pages: 1 2 3