Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Crazy Idea - looking for feedback.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I keep hearing people who are interested in seeing Anime Music Videos but don't get to because they don't know where to find them, don't have enough bandwidth to download, or some other reason.

How many people would pay $10 for a 3 hour DVD of AMVs if it had a wide variety of award winning AMVs on it?

I think this would be a great project but I don't want to tackle it if other people didn't want to go along. It looks like it will be a fair amount of work and possibly a decent sized cash investment as well.

Is there interest in this?
Hrrmm...I suppose it would depend on the anime music videos contained therein. But if it was stuff I liked, yeah I could see spending $10.

Good luck!
-K
Well if you already have a DVD burner it doesn't need much of a cash investment. Just some blank DVD-rs and maybe some cases and covers if you want them to look nice. It'll be alot fo work compiling, encoding and authoring the DVDs though.

I'd be interested in providing you some help if needed.
The fact that I just got a DVD burner is part of what sparked this crazy idea of mine. Then I got thinking how nice it would be to have a really nice package with printed DVDs and nice box art to share with everyone.

By my math, I figure I could fit 50 or so songs on to one disc without destroying the quality too much.

If this is a go, I'd like to try to get Tainted Donuts (a great Bebop/Trigun crossover music video), Miyazaki's Blue Heaven, My Iron Lung (FLCL), Frozen (Kenshin), Girls (Beastie Boys song with lots of different shows), and a host of others all available to share with people.

Too often I hear people asking where to get Anime Music Videos and what are the good ones. This disc would be a set that collects most of the award winning AMVs from different sources and makes them easily available to everybody.

Using burned DVDs would be lower quality and not necessarily work on all DVD players.

Then again... I'm dreaming... looking at the poll, nobody other than myself has voted for this project yet. I'm also going to talk with the AMV crowd and see what they think. If nobody other than me is interested, I'll just work on building my collection on my own.
You can buy printable DVD-rs and print directly on them with an inkjet printer, the quality is very good. Empty black cases arent very difficult to get ahold of.

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=195628

Anyways most new DVD players will play DVD-Rs, heck even my PS2 will play them, just use good quality media.

You can also try putting them on VCDs, you wont lose much video quality as the AMWs you donwload dont usually have the greatest video quality, I think most are already in MPEG1 format.

Anyways, do this project for yourself and your own personal use and if people are interested in it then all the better
That'd be pretty cool... I wouldn't mind it. I'd volunteer to author it, if you need it. Or at least make the menus.

I'd just worry about trouble from the artist who's songs are being used. If they find out they're being sold on a DVD... then there is some trouble.
sounds like a good plan to me, maybe you could organise them into different music types. and make a few instead of one. i sure wouldnt want crappy music. a friend of mine used to make videos on vhs but he had a horrible taste in music so it wasnt as cool as it could have been. but it would be nice to view these on a dvd player, i hate dl'ing crap!!
I'd be interested in something like this. $10 sounds about the right price to buy some. I know I could sell some to my friends and make a little profit. If your really going to go through with this, I'd be willing to design the covers and dvd label (I can make a concept peice before you decide on my work). Either way, it sounds like a cool project.
Yeah, I just really dislike most of the music used in AMV's. That's my only issue with it. The only AMV I've ever really liked was a Cowboy Bebop one with the song "Out Of Body Experience" by Rabbit In The Moon. That was a great video. Yeah. But good luck with this, it's a cool idea. Oh, and good luck with copyrights.. geez..
If you go through with it, I'd suggest getting the OK from the AMV creators themselves. I mean, you would technically be selling their work.
I'm not too worried about the original artists of either the music or the anime if I do go ahead with this project. I would like the AMV creators to be onside with this project though. I figure this would be a great way to let other people see what they've created and a good way to let more people know what AMVs are.

Here's a breakdown of what I'm thinking:
1st: find out what is needed to press DVDs in HK from someone like Florachan or the guys at MAC.

2nd: get the creators on side with me and get them to mail me CDs with their videos at high resolution.

3rd: create the DVD and artwork to ship to HK for pressing

4th: distribute the DVDs through whatever venues are willing to stock these things (Maybe get JJ to keep a stock here and also make them available through http://www.animemusicvideos.org).

I'm still biased against privately burned DVDs just because they don't meet the same quality as the pressed ones I've been getting through the site here. It should also be considerably cheaper to make a few hundred DVDs at once through HK than it would be to make them all myself. Finally, I don't want the wear and tear on my own burner depending on how many people would want one of these.
I'd be in if you could watch it on your player. Chapter breaks would be nice due to the length. *Crosses fingers and hopes the Ranma - Grease/ Sailor on Senshi videos would be on there*
i would buy one from you.
IT'S THE PIE!!!!

Dude, I thought you had fallen off the face of the planet.

I'm glad to see that there are more people who might be interested in this project.
I made a test DVD last night with some of the videos I downloaded back when I had a high speed connection. I was able to fit 20 videos on to one 4.7GB DVD without messing around with the compression at all. I need to work on the audio but I think that's just the limit of my little 32 bit audio card.

To pick out the titles I'd want to use I'd talk it over with the folks over at http://www.animemusicvideos.org and only make a few pushes for one or two personal favourites. I haven't brought it up with them yet because I wanted to see how people outside of that community would respond to my proposal.

I'm about 50/50 on making this happen as a real DVD set. From this point I'm going to be contacting a lot of the top creators to see if they will provide me with hi-res copies of their videos for this project.
Only 20! If each one is around 50 MB for the m2v and 6 MB for the audio (if it's AC3), you should be able to fit well over 50. With no noticable compression, too.
Pages: 1 2