Import Anime Forums

Full Version: The people behind the silly names ^_^
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just thought I'd introduce myself and give my brief how I got into anime story. ^_^ Just got the signature lesson from JJ on the Arctic nightfall board and he mentioned that he was early 20's. I didn't feel like sharing on the nightfall board, but I'll share here cause this community is smaller. ^_^ Ok, name's Mike B., recently transplanted from Boston to Colorado, been here 2 1/2 months now.. I started watching a little bit of anime in high school, just, y'know, Akira and the like.. Enjoyed it but had no $ thru college, and no time to shop, too busy studying.. So I joined the best of Japanese Anime Columbia House thing, both 1 and 2. No shopping required there, of course.. So now I have a pile of VHS stuff, all dubbed.. I'll eventually post more of my VHS's in my trade list if you still want me to, Steve, keep in mind they're all dubs. ^_^ Once I got out of college, I had more time to spend and *gasp* some money. Am 26 now, btw. So I picked up all of the Evangelion stuff on VHS after borrowing it all from my friend Ted, who pretty much introduced me to the genre. Then I finally got that DVD player I'd been wanting and picked up Lodoss Wars OVA, which I really liked from the old Columbia House days Wink I grabbed lots of Pokemon stuff (shut up, I like pokemon) then I began kinda poking around the web and learning about other titles. My buying has been pretty slow over the past year, cause anime is expensive.. Or it least, buying *had* been slow till a friend casually mentioned to me in late May that he bought 12 Ghibli movies for $50.. He gave me the link to animeniacs, I went nuts and ordered like $200 worth of stuff, found Arctic Nightfall, and here I am. I've been ordering about 1 to 2 HK titles per week now.. Taking a break for a few weeks this month to pick up a few R1 titles I've been wanting, but I plan on buying lots and lots more stuff as the weeks progress. My current unwatched anime pile:

Rurouni Kenshin Box set 2+3 from AC/MI
Fushigi Yugi TV Box Set 1+2, OVA from AC/MI
Rurouni Kenshin OVA (Seen it but bought HK, need to watch again)
Black Heaven (Same as above, AS release)
Card Captor Sakura TV box set 1+2 (AC/MI, I watch this one very slowly because, well, it's my favorite and I want it to last)
Cowboy Bebop Perfect Collection (FX)
Got Lain and Escaflowne movie on back order, Dual R1's and Ah! My Goddess movie coming in the mail this week..

So yeah, that's me. I'll be going to Nan Desu Kan this year in Colorado. If anyone else is planning on going, let me know so we can meet up or something. =) Speaking of anyone else.. Just who the hell are you people? Respond to this thread and let us know! ~_^
Well. I'm a highschool student. Have a year or so left before *gasp* college. Going to study in Boston to become a Pharmacist. I've known about anime since fourth grade (Sailor Moon on TV) and some other (Iria and Project Ako) in sixth grade. In ninth grade, I figured I would check some anime out seeing as I had read about two books on the subject (one being from Trish Ledoux). I started watching anime at an intense level. I work as a baker to make up the money to buy anime and repair my computer / car / entertainment center. I've amassed a collection of about 250 videos and 40 DVDs. I've spent over $5000 on anime.

P.S. Just because an Asian girl has a Kerropi or Hello Kitty accessory does not mean she likes anime. I asked a couple of girls, and they looked at me like "You watch anime, what a dumbass".
lol, u like pokemon.... sounds like a need for an excorsism!

I got into anime around 15-16... been in it ever since... used to have a VHS collection... then found out about HK dvds and sold all my VHS on ebay and bought HK dvds ever since... since then I have 200 some DVDs in my personal collection (about 400dvds store stock) and of my collection about 1/4 of them are R1s...
I'd love to see Pokemon on HK DVD. The series isn't really that bad, is it?
hmm 2 excorsisms then Tongue :roll:
Haha! ROFL I like pokemon! It's a cute show. It's more fun if you played the game boy games, of course.. Honestly, I really enjoyed the origianl 1st season as it aired on TV.. I bought the first 12 DVD's.. Haven't bought any since, but I still like the series.. There's just other anime that's more compelling since I've learned a lot more about what's out there.
*gets whacked over the head really hard*. What the hell was I thinking? Where am I? Oh yeah talking on a message board about Pokemon HK DVDs. Seriously though it would be a decent series to see. It gives you a better aspect of the Japanese Animated World. Note to mention I hear Ash has a mouth like a truck driver in the Japanese version.
You guys are making me feel like the "old man" of the group and I'm only 32!!!
I remember watching my first anime back in the 70s when Speed Racer first aired in North America. I didn't know it was from Japan... all I knew was that it was a cool cartoon.
As I aged, I saw the release of Robotech, Mazinger, Battle of the Planets, Starblazers, and Voltron (maybe not in that exact order) and realized that these Japanese cartoons were way better than the GI Joe, He-Man, and Care Bears cr@p that was coming out during that time.
The first time I saw something that I labelled as "anime" was driving down to Chicago in '89 or '90 to see Akira on the big screen.
It wasn't till '97 or so that I found out about fansubs. Then a whole new world of anime was opened to me.
Playing with Gnutella based share software introduced me to even more series. The difficulty I had finding specific series led me to discover the HK DVD market.
All told, my collection isn't one of the largest I've seen. I have about 50 video tapes (both store bought and fan subs) and 30 or so DVDs (both r1 and HK). The reason you don't see me trading yet is that I'm having trouble deciding what anime I'm willing to part with.
My favorite director is Miyazaki and my favorite character is Lupin III. My wife has a tattoo of Totoro on her thigh.
I was born in Michigan but moved to Ontario 5 years ago to be with my wife (who is Canadian). April 10 this year marked the arrival of our daughter Katina who takes up more time than all my different passions.
Here's a brief list of my hobbies: SCA (medieval recreation), Warhammer 40k,video games (PS2, SNES, V-Boy), comic books, photography, Bit Char-G, and in-line skating. Somewhere in all this madness, I make time to watch an hour or so a day of video (currently watching the Muppet Show).
What a crazy old man. Heh heh just kidding there Zagatto. I've bought so much anime from my comic book store that they know me by a first name basis not to mention they know my voice on the phone. Currently we haven't done too much communicating. I've ordered Gundam Wing VHS. They either get the wrong volume or screw up and get it edited. It's so annoying because that is a show I want to continue. I ordered the KOR Movie (I want to return to that day, technically called OAV 5). Instead of Gundam Wing Tapes I bought the Don't Leave me alone Daisy DVD collection. I have bought it twice from there and both times the 2nd disc screwed up. God I hope it works this time.
why not get Gundam Wing HK version... its uncut and got great subs.
I would have, had I know about HK DVDs when I started watching it. I really like the DUB (especially when I hear Ted Kole's voice, I can't help but hearing Kuno (Ranma 1/2) and laugh). I also own the first 9 VHS tapes out of 16. I also volumes 11 and 13. I already own so much, I would like to continue with it.
well not much about me.. I am currently 23 and have served 4 years in the Air Force and only 2 more years to go.. I have gotten lucky and am stationed in Okinawa Japan. which is like a dream for me. I have kinda been off and on about anime since i was 16 friends buying tapes and watching them and liking them but i really didn't buy too much stuff for myself.. Until i really started getting into anime when i was stationed in Shaw AFB South Carolina. And my friend was really into them.. I got into Fan subs and then started buying alot of dvd's.. Then found out about HK Dvd's and my anime collection really changed.. I have about 200 dvd's 1/3 of them are R1 and i have about 30 or so Tapes.. and i made the mistake of sending JunkieJoe a Initial D HK set to get him started into all of this madness. :oops:
Jeez we are worse then old guys hanging out in front of a general store, and reminiscing of the "good ol' days".
LOL yea... those initial D sets really pushed me over the edge... and look at me now :lol:
I know what you mean about getting to know the guy at the comic shop. Gary is the owner of Burdin's Comics here in Hamilton. We've gotten to the point where we catch movies together or get down to some serious Bomberman action with some of the other regulars at the shop.

I think I'm looking at adding those Initial D sets to my collection in the near future (maybe not so near... wife is upset that I've spend $500+ this month on videos... although she didn't complain about the Muppet Show set I picked up that cost as much as all the anime I've bought in the last two months combined).
Pages: 1 2