The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.3.10 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Import Anime Forums
Gantz Season 1 thinpack - Printable Version

+- Import Anime Forums (https://import-anime.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Anime/HK DVD Discussion (https://import-anime.com/forums/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Anime Discussion (https://import-anime.com/forums/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Gantz Season 1 thinpack (/thread-5888.html)

Pages: 1 2

Gantz Season 1 thinpack - Hotsuma - 03-19-2006

A couple of days ago I was searching the site where I usually buy my anime and found that
they were selling the Gantz box set. The price look reasonable but when I checked what it
contained it said "episodes 1-13" on 7 DVDs.

I never felt such disgust, not because they were charging that price but to only include the
13 episodes on 7 DVDs seems like such as waste of money. I would pay the price they're
asking if it were 26 episodes on 7 DVDs not 13.
Plus I read that it had no extras.

ADV sure had a lot of guts for pulling a stunt like that.

Gantz Season 1 thinpack - Andromeda18_ - 03-19-2006

Well, I'm not really surprised. When they were releasing the series one dvd at a time they began by including only 2 episodes on each dvd. A total of 13 dvds were scheduled to be released. I suppose the only reason why they reduced the number to 10 dvds was because a lot of people complained. Now they're trying to sell 13 episodes on 7 dvds! I'm certainly not buying this pack, I'll just wait for the HK one to be released.

Gantz Season 1 thinpack - Puppet Master - 03-19-2006

Next time do some research before opening your mouth. As far as the Gantz discs go what they did was put the 6 they released as singles for episodes 1-13. So I don't know where in you got 7.

Puppet Master Wrote:Next time do some research before opening your mouth. As far as the Gantz discs go what they did was put the 6 they released as singles for episodes 1-13. So I don't know where in you got 7.

You're right, it's only 6 dvds. I was looking at a picture of the pack before and didn't notice they were 6 and not 7 (makes more sense this way). Anyway, since there's a total of 10 dvds, is the next boxset going to have only 4 dvds? Even so, it's still exagerated in my opinion. ADV's thin pack of Neon Genesis Evangelion includes all 26 episodes plus the 4 director's cut episodes on 6 dvds so why are they releasing Gantz like this?

Gantz Season 1 thinpack - Vicious - 03-19-2006

They are releasing it like this, because they decided they would try something different. They wanted to see if their sales would be better or worse if they released a series with 2 episodes per disc, but a reduced price from their usual $29.99. They released 2 episodes for $17.98. Certainly not as good a deal as 4 for $29.99 but much better than the 3 for $29.99 that you get with some series. When you look at it in a logical way like that, it doesn't seem so bad does it?

You and other anime fans here might not realize it, but you're the minority. All you people who post and bitch on anime boards are not the majority. So even if 90% of people on boards bitched about it, it didn't make a difference. You're not the majority who are contributing to their sales. And they are a business. Their bottom line is to maximize profit.

So you don't have to buy the series from ADV if you don't want to, but please don't say you're not buying it because of the way they released it. Just say you were looking for any excuse for you to rationalize to yourself why you would purchase the HK's over the R1's.

Oh, you're definitely wrong about that. I'm not trying to rationalize anything. I buy HKs because they're much cheaper and that's all there is to it. I'm just trying to maximize my own money and honestly I don't feel one bit guilty about it even though I know it's not the correct thing to do, it's not even legal (well, HKs here might actually be legal, depends on how you look at it). I do buy R1s anyway, like I did with the Neon Genesis Evangelion thin pack, but I only buy those that appeal to me for a specific reason, be it a pretty box, a load of interesting extras or something else. Gantz has no such appeal and it ends up being more expensive than other series that are just as long and being released by the same company.
They wanted to try something different and wanted to maximize their profit, I get that. Making money is what a company is all about after all and I don't have a problem with that. However as a consumer I don't have to go along with it if I don't feel like it, and lets face it, they started putting more episodes per dvd after volume 5 for a reason.

Gantz Season 1 thinpack - Puppet Master - 03-20-2006

Hotsuma Wrote:A couple of days ago I was searching the site where I usually buy my anime and found that
they were selling the Gantz box set. The price look reasonable but when I checked what it
contained it said "episodes 1-13" on 7 DVDs.

I never felt such disgust, not because they were charging that price but to only include the
13 episodes on 7 DVDs seems like such as waste of money. I would pay the price they're
asking if it were 26 episodes on 7 DVDs not 13.
Plus I read that it had no extras.

ADV sure had a lot of guts for pulling a stunt like that.

Your whining and complaning won't change anything so stop bugging everyone else with it. There was enough annoyance here last year and as I said it's pretty much a dead issue that was discussed before you were here. Im too lazy to type up the exact details of the release but the only thing missing from the thinkpak as opposed to the singles are small pieces of paper with the coverart and episode list that comes with most ADV singles if not all.

I'd also like to know what price you saw it for not MSRP and all that I know it can be gotten for pretty cheap when one knows when and where to look hell I paid only $34.02 after 8% sales tax.

Now im not saying I agree with ADVs release of Gantz and how they did it because if they didn't release the thinkpak im sure I would have skipped it for space reasons. As far as a second box goes they will probally just release a thinpak on six discs without extras or something like that a LONG time from now. But that's just a personal prediction and only time will tell if im right or not.

It should also be noted that V10 just came out in January if they released a thinkpak for that cheap that soon ADV would have to be out of their mind from a financial standpoint. Anyways im done ranting and that's all that needs to be said. The bottom line is that no one here wants to see pointless complaning it's not like anyone gives a damn.

Gantz Season 1 thinpack - Cyrus - 03-20-2006

yeah im really dissapointed in thinpacks by adv.

I got the neon genesis evangelion one and to be honest down the road even though i already bought this one i think im gonna buy the non thinpack and just take the loss.

Hopefully i'll find a good deal for the non thin pack for like 80 sometime then i wont be out that much....

i dunno....

hopefully i'll be able to trade for the non thin pack edition and then sell off my thin pack version.

Gantz Season 1 thinpack - Puppet Master - 03-20-2006

Cyrus Wrote:yeah im really dissapointed in thinpacks by adv.

I got the neon genesis evangelion one and to be honest down the road even though i already bought this one i think im gonna buy the non thinpack and just take the loss.

Hopefully i'll find a good deal for the non thin pack for like 80 sometime then i wont be out that much....

i dunno....

hopefully i'll be able to trade for the non thin pack edition and then sell off my thin pack version.

Ok I would like to know something why are you disappointed?

Gantz Season 1 thinpack - Vicious - 03-20-2006

I stopped buying ADV DVD's once they came out with the thinpaks. What really pissed me off was Chrono Crusade. Right after they released the last disc, they released a thinpak for the entire series at a fraction of the price I had paid for the singles. As a consumer, what is my reason for buying a series as it is being released, if I know I can wait a month or two and get a thinpak for it and save money?

Although, I'm not buying much of anything lately. I've actually gotten rid of almost half my collection. I realized that all these discs are just sitting there taking up space. I'm never going to have the time to go back and rewatch all this stuff. So I figure I might as well get rid of it while I can still get some money back in return for it (before they release Blu Ray and all the other next gen media format stuff).

Gantz Season 1 thinpack - Andromeda18_ - 03-20-2006

Vicious Wrote:I stopped buying ADV DVD's once they came out with the thinpaks. What really pissed me off was Chrono Crusade. Right after they released the last disc, they released a thinpak for the entire series at a fraction of the price I had paid for the singles. As a consumer, what is my reason for buying a series as it is being released, if I know I can wait a month or two and get a thinpak for it and save money?

Although, I'm not buying much of anything lately. I've actually gotten rid of almost half my collection. I realized that all these discs are just sitting there taking up space. I'm never going to have the time to go back and rewatch all this stuff. So I figure I might as well get rid of it while I can still get some money back in return for it (before they release Blu Ray and all the other next gen media format stuff).

I agree with you, there's no point in buying the dvds. That's why I didn't buy Otogizoushi when the dvds started coming out and it seems that was indeed the right thing to do since the fist boxset is being released not even 3 months after the last dvd (it's not just ADV that does this). Besides, I rather watch an entire series at once than some episodes every 2 or 3 months. But I have to say I find this thinpack idea very good. It looks neat, it doesn't take up too much space. It's really nice in my opinion. By the way, do you know any good website that ships to Europe and sells Chrono Crusade for a good price? What with having to pay for customs and all I want to buy it as cheaply as possible.

Gantz Season 1 thinpack - gubi-gubi - 03-20-2006

I must admit I don't buy single volumes anymore but I agree with Cyrus about the Eva set. There's all the extras missing. This doesn't bother that much that i'd buy the individual volumes but even the box set says 'the ultimate collection' when it just isn't. I see why they do it so that people buy individual volumes but at the same time they are kind of screwing the fans a bit.

Gantz Season 1 thinpack - Vicious - 03-20-2006

Andromeda18_ Wrote:But I have to say I find this thinpack idea very good. It looks neat, it doesn't take up too much space. It's really nice in my opinion.

Well, I had already thinpakked more than half my collection. I ran out of space a while ago and started thinpakking in order to save space. Now that I'm selling some of the stuff off on Ebay, it's harder to get rid of some the thinpakked series I have.

As for your other question - I know places where you can get it from for cheap, but don't really know which ones will ship to Europe.

Gantz Season 1 thinpack - Cidien - 03-20-2006

I don't think dvds will go out of style for a while. There's enough space on a dvd9 for movies. The only thing I see possibly happening is a company releasing complete anime collections of multiple movies on 1-2 discs as a set. Players are gonna be able to play em both anyways so there's no immediate reason to switch over.

Gantz Season 1 thinpack - Andromeda18_ - 03-21-2006

Vicious Wrote:As for your other question - I know places where you can get it from for cheap, but don't really know which ones will ship to Europe.

Well, let me know the URLs anyway, please. I'll search the websites for info on international shipping.