The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.3.8 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Import Anime Forums
Help a new Convert decide (First post) - Printable Version

+- Import Anime Forums (https://import-anime.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Anime/HK DVD Discussion (https://import-anime.com/forums/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Anime Discussion (https://import-anime.com/forums/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Help a new Convert decide (First post) (/thread-2524.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Help a new Convert decide (First post) - Filmbuffpaul - 02-28-2004

Hello all, I discovered this site yesterday after finding out about the whole HKDVD thing the day before Smile

First a bit about me:
I only really got into anime last year. I'm from the UK and I've been a cartoon fan all my life; growing up with things like Batman Animated series (fave), the various Marvel comics cartoons and wayyy back in the day on the likes of Transformers, He-man GI Joe and what have ya.

Concerned with the amount of really poor CGI "cartoons" with even poorer storylines being made in the US etc I began looking for traditional cel animation and anime came into my life.

Now I'm the first to admit I'm a n00b in this area, but I do learn quickly. I've mostly checked out shows in downloaded formats (because A I havent seen them and B the dvds are very expensive). I suppose you'd say I'm a standard convert from western cartoons in that I find the kids shows involving collecting something or other boring and repetitive. The things I've checked out thus far are the usual suspects:

Ghost in the Shell Movie (GREAT)
Ghost in the Shell SAC (fansub, good stuff)
Cowboy Bebop (This is the best thing yet seen for me)
Berserk (only a few episodes but good)
Ninja Scroll Movie (Great stylistic content)
Hellsing

Onwards:
So yeah, I was thinking of finally ordering something as its a pain in the backside using the video out from the PC to watch things. So I was going to order Bebop Series and Movie from this site. I've read about the postage and everything and done searches on the forum and read the reviews, yet I'm an anxious person by nature so bare with me Big Grin

Am I right in thinking that the FX box is the way to go with the series? The one on this site is the "remastered" one yeah? I've heard the MAC one is a total copy of it, is the artwork better and what other reasons is there to get that one?

As for the movie, the last two reviews of the FX version say that it is anamorphic widescreen and doesnt have any logo during the film (both of which are a MUST for me). That is the version I will get, can anyone else just confirm that?

If anyone wants to recommend some similar animes and/or some things to broaden my horizons a bit it would be great. Stylistically like the ones above and storylines like along existential lines. I've heard Serial Experiments Lain is good, but seen none of it.

Anyway, apologies for such a long post. Now that we know each other I can respond in monosyllables and feel comfortable in future Smile

Thanks a lot for any help, I hope to post here more often as this love affair grows... Smile

ps: no elitist posts please, I'm a hardcore fan of other artforms but always try to help newbies, we all were such at some point Smile

Help a new Convert decide (First post) - TalonG4 - 02-28-2004

Welcome to the great world of HK anime
Big Grin
Quote:I only really got into anime last year. I'm from the UK and I've been a cartoon fan all my life; growing up with things like Batman Animated series (fave), the various Marvel comics cartoons and wayyy back in the day on the likes of Transformers, He-man GI Joe and what have ya.
A great way to start, I think we all started this way.

As far as the Bebop set and movie, I have the FX set before it was remastered and it's still good and the movie from FX is perfect(no logo that I remember, FX doesn't put their logo in the movies that I have seen.)

Seriel Experiments lain is pretty good, especially if you liked the Ghost in the Shell movie. It doesn't have a lot of action but it's a good story.
This site has an extensive review board if you're looking for anything else. Don't be afraid to check it out.

Help a new Convert decide (First post) - puzzleguy - 02-28-2004

Cowboy bebop is smart buy- i have the Mac set- which they say is a copy of the FX ( Import-anime only had that available when i ordered )
and Ive seen the Fx, theres really no difference in quality-

Suggestions as to what to buy should come from where your interests are- for example- Im not really into Robot stuff-But i like Rahxephon ( go figure )

Good titles for a newbee-

anything Miazaki- Spirited Away, Kikis delivery Service, Totoro, Castles in the Sky etc ( Grave of the fireflys is good - but depressing )
you cant go wrong with these- almost everyone loves these.

Lain ( a bit dark- but good )
Blue Submarine 6 - ( vandread isnt bad if you like fan service
-both are done by the same folks )
Initial D- Auto racing- soime early CG stuff- great story and action
( stay away from battle stage- just a recoup of the show )
Outlaw Star- similar to cowboy bebop- some like it more

There are tons more- These are some of the titles that Id recommend to a friend, and not worry about losing that friendship-

Help a new Convert decide (First post) - kakomu - 02-28-2004

Quote:Originally posted by Filmbuffpaul
Concerned with the amount of really poor CGI "cartoons" with even poorer storylines being made in the US etc I began looking for traditional cel animation and anime came into my life.

not to burst your bubble, but anime nowadays isn't made with Cels. It's all CG now, and the stories do leave a lot to be desired now as well. YOu'd be safer with older shows (as the Dubbing companies had the tendancy to filter shitty shows out before releasing anything. Nowadays, it's whatever is out gets brought over, which leaves a lot to be desired, since production costs are really low with CG compared to Cel animation, so any company can release anime in bulk. It waters down the system and worse story lines can be released.)

As for my personal favorites at the time:

Trigun
Cowboy Bebop
Nadesico
Outlaw Star
Full Metal Panic
Berserk
Gundam 0079 movies
Mezzo Forte
Dragon Ball Z
Hellsing
Tenchi

and I just got done watching which is a total mindfuck anime, but rather interesting.

Help a new Convert decide (First post) - rarnom - 02-28-2004

I addition to the other titles, you should check out:

FLCL
X
Studio Ghibli Boxed Set (That is 7 of Myazaki's films, a great set)

Oh, and finish Berserk, it is the greatest show ever.

Help a new Convert decide (First post) - SuperBaKa - 02-28-2004

here are a few titles , if u need more info have a look on
http:// http://www.animenfo.com/
Hack Sign
Ai Yori Aoshi
Azumanga Dahio
Chobits
City Hunter
Cowboy Bebop
Dna²
Fruits Basket
Full Metal Panic
Futari Ecchi
Get Backers
Gokudou-kun Manyuuki
Golden Boy
Great Teacher Onizuka
Green Green
H2
Hajime No Ippo
Hand Maid Mai
Himiko den
Jungle wa itsumo Hare nochi Gu
Kare Kano
Kaze No Yojimbo
Kimagure Orange Road
Kimengumi
Love Hina
Mahoromatic
Mahou Tsukai Ni Taisetsu Na Koto
Mahoujin Guru Guru
Maison Ikkoku
Nadasico
Naruto(up to 67 but this is ...)
Onegai Teacher
Orphen
Outlaw Star
Ping Pong Club
Psychic Academy
Ranma
Rizelmine
Rurouni Kenshin
Saber Marionette
Samurai Deeper Kyo
Steel Angel Kurumi
Super Gals Tenchi Muyo
Tenshi Na Konamaiki
The Infinite Ryvius
The Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Trigun
Vandread
X

Help a new Convert decide (First post) - Filmbuffpaul - 02-28-2004

Thanks a lot for the replies.

When I said poor CGI shows I mean the really awfully textured low res shite that has no production value. Cel is has become a euphemism for "good" with me Smile

I'm not anti-all cgi because thats just stupid, anything can be made do be great if done correctly. So a good cel shaded cgi or well textured cgi show is fine provided the story and the effort are beffiting.

So it seems I shall be buying the Bebop FX Box in the next few days. About the movie from FX, can anyone confirm for sure whether its anamorphic widescreen, 5.1 and no logos? The latest two reviews seem to suggest as much, just looking for some clarification.

Thanks for the list Superbaka, I'd found animenfo during the downloading days, and quite a few of those are on my list to check out.

Also, are there any other sites for packaging shots of the different boxsets, just interested in looking to see the different artworks even though its always going to be about the quality of the dvds themselves that count when buying.

Help a new Convert decide (First post) - matthewmalay - 02-28-2004

For the Bebop movie, usually I would suggest getting the R1 version since it isnt much more than the HK DVD but since you live in the UK that option might not too good for you. The fx version used to be the same as the MI one which is in anamorphic widescreen and the MI logo pops up once in a while. It also has 5.1 audio. Don't know if fx is still the same as the MI one now.

Macross is a great show, old but a classic. Macross Plus is great too but I dont think there are any good Hk versions of it.

Esclaflowne is a fantasy show with a bit of mecha.

Vandread I enjoyed but it is heavy on the CG which I didnt find impressive at all.

Full Metal Panic was good too, the 1st series is more action oriented while the 2nd series, FMP: Fumoffu was more comedy. Some CG in it.

12 Kingdoms (Juuni Kokki) I've been watching alot of recently, a fanstasy series, I haven't been into a series like this one in a while but reading the reviews the HK sets don't seem very good (I downloaded the series).

X has an epic feel to it and gorgeous animation and a great score

Read or Die OVA is a short superhero/agent series but very entertaining and a great score also, also check out the TV series that is currently airing in Japan.

Studio Ghibli has some of the greatest and most loved movies in it's catalog, enjoyable for every age. I would get the MI or MAC set if you dont mind subtitles cause the Fx Perfect Collection is missing some of Studio Ghibli's best movies, most notably Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind and Whispers of the Heart.

Lupin has been aroound for 30 years and is still very popular. Check out Castle of Cagliostro iand if you like it check out the other movies and Tv series.

Look on ebay to find shots of the packaging but alot of sellers there dont list the company that produced the set.

BTW, I hear in Europe DVD players that can play Divx/Xvid are very popular and reasonbably priced, maybe you should consider picking one of them up so you can watch digisubs on your TV.

Help a new Convert decide (First post) - DARK OSAMU - 02-28-2004

Tekkaman Blade is great. Don't get suckered into Tekkaman Blade 2..it blows. It's a serious space show.

Riding Bean is an awesome short movie. It's from the Gunsmith Cats series. It involves a guy with an amazing car running hitmen everywhere.

Gokudo is a Fun Medieval series that is goofy and really well made.

Record of Lodoss War, not the new one! It is an awesome Medieval show based on D&D.

Goe Armor. It's a spin on the Nazis trying to take over the world with huge mechs.

Getter Robo. Another giant mecha show.

Big-O. One of the best huge Mecha shows that is exactly like Batman the Animated series.

Gundam 8th MS Team. Yet another huge Mech show. The best Gundam series that I have personally seen since the old 80's series'.

Bubblegum Crisis. A great show about these girls in bionic suits going around kicking the crap out of stuff. BGC 2040 is kinda crappy.

Give all these a try!

Help a new Convert decide (First post) - Last Exile - 02-29-2004

Welcome to our World

my suggestions:

Cowboy Bebop
Witch Hunter Robin
Last Exile
FLCL
RahXephon
I, My, Me Strawberry eggs
Love Hina
Escaflowne
Trigun
Nadescio
Automatic Maiden
His and Her circomstances
Outlaw Star
Read or Die (R.o.D)
Burn UP-W

my list is under construction still new titles every week these are my best picks so far.

Welcome to the boards!!

-LE

Help a new Convert decide (First post) - Filmbuffpaul - 02-29-2004

Thanks a lot for all the replies everyone. Nice people rock! Smile

I'm compiling a list now from all these recommendations, there are so many. Newbie overloaded Wink

So yeah for now I will buy Cowboy Bebop Series and Movie from this fine site, I will start looking for downloadable episodes of some of the ones you've recommended that I think sound like my thing and perhaps buy a few of those if I like what I see.

Let the madness comence!

Help a new Convert decide (First post) - DARK OSAMU - 02-29-2004

Well what do you REALLY like? Are you a hardcore Mech fan? Are you really into Space shows? Car shows? Fist Fights? Thinking Shows? Medieval shows? Give us your true preferances.

Help a new Convert decide (First post) - Filmbuffpaul - 02-29-2004

Hmmm, if you look back to my first post the ones in bold are my only real experiences of anime (well those and things like pokemon, digimon and numerous other kids shows that get shown over here).

I liked the styles of the ones i've seen, slick camera movements, highly kinetic in execution, violence is a-ok. I think I'll be ok with mech shows as I grew up with Transformers. I also very much liked the existential themes of Ghost in the Shell.

I think other space shows would be fine too. Probably more serious in content regardless of any specific genre, don't think I want to try an out and out comedy just yet, elements of comedy sure. I like the look of Neon Genesis Evangelion, Bubblegum Crisis and Trigun quite a lot.

So essentially, shows/movies similar in style to the ones I listed probably (want to call them western culture influenced, but sounds wrong). Probably set in a near future type deal. Thinking shows sure thing. Fights/Violence is fine too.

I wasn't trying to push for more recommendations or anything with the previous post, just saying thanks for the list and I'll work away at them slowly.

Peace Smile

ps: Just ordered the Bebop series and movie a short while ago, it begins! Cool

Help a new Convert decide (First post) - DARK OSAMU - 02-29-2004

You'll definately like Tekkaman Blade then. Riding Bean and Lodoss War as well.Smile

Help a new Convert decide (First post) - tconthepc3 - 02-29-2004

Record of lodoss (both) are dull and stupid. The Heroic Knight series has the worst dubbing ive heard so far.