The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.3.8 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Import Anime Forums
Degenerating video quality - Printable Version

+- Import Anime Forums (https://import-anime.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Anime/HK DVD Discussion (https://import-anime.com/forums/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Anime Discussion (https://import-anime.com/forums/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Degenerating video quality (/thread-2472.html)

Pages: 1 2

Degenerating video quality - kirato - 02-18-2004

Hi to all,

i have got this gundam seed dvd complete set from manga.

the video quality is ok to me for most of the time, but i watched
the last disc quite a number of times and everything was fine.

But all of a sudden, at certain point at
EPISODE 48 there is a pixelation of the picture and the hangs there
until almost the end of the whole episode.

this problem was not present at first when i watch the same episode so
many times.

Is there anyone here know of anything like this?? i dont think that watching the episode again and again will spoil the disc?

Degenerating video quality - Zagatto - 02-18-2004

You are right in thinking that DVDs don't degrade on their own.

There are a few different things that could be causing your problems though.

You could have some finger grease on the disc from handling.
There could be very fine scratches on the disc, also from handling.
There could be dust or something similar gumming up the laser servo on your DVD player.
You could have gremlins living behind your TV and playing with the picture.
Your DVD player could be overheating from extended use or a failing exhuast fan (there is a computer that needs to be cooled in every DVD player).
You could be getting interference from secret government broadcasts that are happening near your house.

It's hard to say what exactly is happening but it's a pretty safe bet that your disc isn't degenerating on it's own.

Degenerating video quality - Amethyst - 02-18-2004

Quote:Originally posted by Zagatto
You are right in thinking that DVDs don't degrade on their own.

There are a few different things that could be causing your problems though.

You could have gremlins living behind your TV and playing with the picture.

You could be getting interference from secret government broadcasts that are happening near your house.

It's hard to say what exactly is happening but it's a pretty safe bet that your disc isn't degenerating on it's own.

Ohhh I vote for these 2!! *laugh* You can tell what kind of a world I live in... Rolleyes Anyway... in simple terms he's suggesting you wipe the DVD off and try it again, should take care of it, if there isn't anything defective with the disk...

Degenerating video quality - Owozifa - 02-19-2004

I think I know what you are saying...
Are you saying that the video basically "glitches out" at one point and won't go away? I'd just try starting the episode over, it wouldn't hurt the disc to do so, but maybe you'll want to try another DVD you don't care about to see if the player hasn't suddenly gone wacko-then it might damage the disc. Otherwise sometimes they just get weird in certain places and the best thing to do is stop the disc, take it out, and put it back in. Worked for me.

Degenerating video quality - DARK OSAMU - 02-19-2004

I have had problems with my Die Hard DVD. I have watched it a thousand times and then all of a sudden it now wants to skip from about halfway into it to the end credits. I think it's an encoding problem that I hear a lot of FOX release dvds have. Oh well.Rolleyes

Degenerating video quality - kirato - 03-17-2004

hi to all,

actually i had two of my dvd players.. both of them had the same conclusion. The amount of unreadable data is spreading from the last 3rd episode towards the last episode. its rather obvious that the data is at fault since i took the disc back to the retailer for a retest and the same thing ocurred to their player too..

i guess dvds arent so vulnerable as not to withstand 5-6 times of viewing.. its been said that dvds has a life span of 100yrs in faqs.
haha looks like to me its really an unreversible encoding problem.

Degenerating video quality - rav96 - 03-17-2004

i think that there must be a problem with the layer!
thats why its spreading

did you spill anything on it?
colud be due to solvation in the layer?
does your DVD player get really hot if used for ages coz heat can degrade DVDs

ive also heard that there is a type of fungus which affects CD that is transparent to the naked eye and it corrode the data.

not sure if it affects DVD though...

Degenerating video quality - kirato - 03-17-2004

hmm, i didnt spill anything on it.. in fact the dvd is in perfect physical condition. the only thing is that it has been watched 5-6 times around the 3rd last episode..

i suppose it was poor encoding problem from the HK anime, other title i had bought did not had this problem. i dont think that by watching a few more times would destroy the dvd otherwise wouldnt it defeat the purpose of the dvd

Degenerating video quality - matthewmalay - 03-18-2004

well if you have a DVD-ROM you can try that, I mght work with no problems on a DVD-ROM.

Maybe even rip the DVD to your hard drive if possible before it is too late and the DVD is a total lost.

100 years my ass, when I'm 122 years old I'll prove those fuckers wrong.

In 100 years DVDs will be displayed in musuems and liitle kids would wonder what life was like before whatever format is out at that time.

Degenerating video quality - rav96 - 03-18-2004

yeah best to rip the DVD onto your harddrive and see if the Vobs show any probs

and then just divx it...

Degenerating video quality - SirChico - 03-18-2004

Quote:Originally posted by rav96
yeah best to rip the DVD onto your harddrive and see if the Vobs show any probs

Do you know of any good rippers?

Degenerating video quality - matthewmalay - 03-18-2004

DVD Decrypter is good but since HKs aren't encrypted you can just use explorer to copy the files to your hard drive.

Degenerating video quality - Zagatto - 03-18-2004

The best program I've found for ripping DVDs is DVD SHRINK (just click on the name for download sites).
It's a tiny little program that allows you to resize the files ripped from DVDs while removing any encoding or protection on the disc.

Super high quality stuff and very powerful in a neat package.
If you want to copy a DVD on to your hard drive, this is the way to go.

Degenerating video quality - rav96 - 03-19-2004

DVD shrink id good but only if you have a DVDwriter to write the new vobs on

otherwise

just check out

http://www.mpegx.com

that should sort you out with an array of choice.
i used to use CladXP but now i just use DirectMP4maker coz it rips direct from disc with no hassle (basically a lazy rippers choiceWink )

Degenerating video quality - CrayonShinChan - 03-19-2004

I have a FX Bebop DVD which has no marks etc on it but faults developed. I also have a FX Outlaw Star DVD where the glue in the middle layer is oozing about. I'm keep it to see what happens to it eventually. Tongue

DVDs theoretically may last 100 years but i don't think this necessarily applies to HK DVDs.

I don't think i've got 50 years left in me anyway, never mind 100. Tongue