The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.3.10 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Import Anime Forums
hope no one still uses IE 5 - Printable Version

+- Import Anime Forums (https://import-anime.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Anime/HK DVD Discussion (https://import-anime.com/forums/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Babble (https://import-anime.com/forums/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: hope no one still uses IE 5 (/thread-2461.html)

Pages: 1 2

hope no one still uses IE 5 - Schultz - 02-16-2004

Hopefully no one still uses IE 5.. if they do they might want to upgrade..
http://www.securitytracker.com/alerts/2004/Feb/1009067.html

Since part of Windows source has been leaked on the internet now. its only time till we start seeing Alot more problems and security issues with windows.. its pretty funny when it just takes a simple crafted Bmp file on a page to do it. ;o)

Or another alternative with what i suggest is download Mozilla Firefox.. A nice Lean browser.. Its not bloated like Netscape or the Mozilla Suite.. if others have tried it used to be called Phoenix and Firebird..

hope no one still uses IE 5 - Shinn Asuka - 02-16-2004

Yeah... why bother using IE when you can use Mozilla or Firefox / Firebird (Or originally - Phoenix)? IE is only really useful for the 10% of sites that don't load right in Mozilla / Firefox.

hope no one still uses IE 5 - kakomu - 02-16-2004

I like IE more than mozilla. And the thing about these supposed secutiry leaks is that they really don't pose too much of a threat, considering you have to be really good at programming and the end-user has to usually be really stupid for most of them to really take effect. I doubt we're going to see a gigantic flood of malicious BMP, just like I doubt my computer is going to be compromised and taken advantage of and totally taken over by malicious hackers.

On top of that, I find Mozilla to be much slower in all of it's operations compared to IE, which include opening, and going to sites (the two most important parts of a browser). I see no real reason to use it over IE.

hope no one still uses IE 5 - Ka-Talliya - 02-16-2004

Quote:Originally posted by kakomu
On top of that, I find Mozilla to be much slower in all of it's operations compared to IE, which include opening, and going to sites (the two most important parts of a browser). I see no real reason to use it over IE.

Maybe it's just your internet connection. I love Mozilla, I like having the versitility of browsing multiple sites at once!

hope no one still uses IE 5 - kakomu - 02-17-2004

Quote:Originally posted by Ka-Talliya
Maybe it's just your internet connection. I love Mozilla, I like having the versitility of browsing multiple sites at once!

not the internet connection, but rather the time between me pressing a key or clicking a mouse and the time it takes the program to do it's operation. Both were tested ont he same comp (a 2.4 Ghz pentium) and I didn't care much for Mozilla compared to IE.

hope no one still uses IE 5 - Schultz - 02-17-2004

not the internet connection, but rather the time between me pressing a key or clicking a mouse and the time it takes the program to do it's operation. Both were tested ont he same comp (a 2.4 Ghz pentium) and I didn't care much for Mozilla compared to IE.

Now have you tried Firefox? It has the name Mozilla but it is nothing like the Mozilla Suite.. Its not based off there XUL technology making everything slow.. Its a small, fast browser based of the Gecko engine.. Give it a try before you put it in the same group as the normal Mozilla suite.. It has tabbed browsing which i absolutly love.. You have full control of the cookies on your machine.. You have Popup blocking.. you can block ads in pages from loading.. etc.. its sooooooo much better then IE. Also Ka-Talliya is also talking about Firebird/Firefox and also for more info about problems with IE and clever sites

http://www.tjhsst.edu/~agupta/ecard-hijack/

Also another thing.. IE 6 will be the last version you ever get. Since Microsoft is never going to release another Standalone version of IE. So if you stick with XP you will never get an update besides to fix some of there numerous bugs in it.. The only way you will be able to upgrade to a new browser is get Longhorn. So with no updates means it won't support newer standards on the web.. Since IE 6 is actually pretty old.. (Hell it can't even render the image at the bottom of my tag correctly the grey area is suppose to be transparent)

I used Firebird, as for the transparency of your image, I don't see the the gray bar.

hope no one still uses IE 5 - Shinn Asuka - 02-17-2004

That's because IE doesn't render PNGs correctly. Microsoft hasn't done ANYTHING with PNG support.

Quote:Originally posted by Suzakuseikun
That's because IE doesn't render PNGs correctly. Microsoft hasn't done ANYTHING with PNG support.

Actually IE can handle png-8 which is basically the same thing as gifs.. if you look all the images on this site use png-8 but IE can't handle png-24 with Alpha transparency.

here is what it looks like in IE.. see the gray around compared to what it should look like? Also i will say that no matter what no program can be as fast as IE. because no program can embed it self so far into the OS and have all the components it needs already loaded up like IE..

Quote:Originally posted by Schultz
Also i will say that no matter what no program can be as fast as IE.

at least someone will freely admit that IE is faster than mozilla. The other people that try and convince everyone to use mozilla swear up and down that mozilla is supposedly a million times faster than IE or some other BS like that.

hope no one still uses IE 5 - Shinn Asuka - 02-17-2004

at least someone will freely admit that IE is faster than mozilla. The other people that try and convince everyone to use mozilla swear up and down that mozilla is supposedly a million times faster than IE or some other BS like that.

On my machine, Firefox runs loops around IE. However, on this load of XP, IE had a tendancy to lock up a lot, hence I just use it for FTP uploading, and the ocasional webpage the Mozilla / Firefox doesn't run.

how can you get around it when everything is loaded in the OS already. If you don't belive me for that fact open explorer.. and in the address bar type a url.. boom its now rendering a internet page.. because its all integrated and already loading.. But with rendering pages there are alot of different method.. On this site i use gzip encoding when possible.. which basically means is the page won't render until the browser gets all the data and then starts rendering it.. Other sites will just start sending out data as its avaiable and renders it as it comes avaiable.. To those sites it gives an Appearance that the sites are faster because you see an initial page before the other.

But the thing that i hate about IE is its buggyness , Security Flaws, and general lack of standards support.. and all those stupid Browser Helper Objects that appear and collect data on your browsing.. thank god for Ad-Aware. I also am going to look at writing some features that might be mozilla/firefix only because of how you can work with them.. a perfect example for those that have firefox http://mab.mozdev.org/

its a browser for books at amazon but uses a Program interface and can be launched from the web.. which i could do something like that for searching reviews / posting reviews and general admin stuff..

Also with computers now adays.. whats a few seconds of time for something to load.. it isn't a matter of the old Pentium 200 days and 16 megs of ram..

I never said otherwise. Just mentioned that many people say how much faster mozilla will run compared to IE, and you're the first mozilla user to say otherwise. As for integration, it doesn't matter much to me. I like instantaneous browser start-up. Also, the security flaws don't amount to very much, considering that the end-user usually has to install one of those stupid plug-ins, or download something somewhere.