The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.3.10 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Import Anime Forums
The Stella awards!!! you gotta read this. - Printable Version

+- Import Anime Forums (https://import-anime.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Anime/HK DVD Discussion (https://import-anime.com/forums/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Babble (https://import-anime.com/forums/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: The Stella awards!!! you gotta read this. (/thread-5810.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

The Stella awards!!! you gotta read this. - Puppet Master - 02-07-2006

gubi-gubi Wrote:All you are doing is giving in to your emotions and wanting revenge. It's not a nice emotion and is pretty primative and humas first reaction to any crime in the past was wanting to inflict pain and death on people.

People can stay on death row for like 12 years before they are killed. That's more than enough time to kill someone else in jail or escape.

I don't care if it's a "nice" emotion it's just the way I see things. I've said it repeatedly but it all goes back to the old quote "An Eye for an Eye". This is one the only situation id want to see such extreme measures though. The demon of revenge is one way to put it I guess. It's something im really not sure about how to explain at the moment.

Didn't know about the time on death row and that does cause more issues.

Now back to defense I have to agree my personal belief is that you have the right to protect your own life and your families life as well as your property and sometimes extreme measures are the only way to accomplish that. Shooting someones legs and arms might stop them but since I don't know enough about the subject I can't say for sure. I aso have to wonder if that would be considered overkill. So many factors and complications makes nearly impossible to judge in the end one has to rely on instinct.

I must say one thing this is the most intresting thread IAs had in a long time.

The Stella awards!!! you gotta read this. - vegeta76 - 02-07-2006

In terms of defence, If someone was comming after me or my family with the intention of killing them, I wouldn't hesitate whatsoever to kill them. If I was able to, I would try to Disable them, but you don't exactly have the time to think of these things when some person is trying to kill you lol.

Puppet Master Wrote:I must say one thing this is the most intresting thread IAs had in a long time.

Yes, and it's been a good one too from what I can see. Smile

The Stella awards!!! you gotta read this. - Andromeda18_ - 02-08-2006

I've read (well... skimmed through) what everybody's been saying and while I agree with what was said against the death penalty I see things in a much simpler and forward way. Why do we punish murderers? Because we believe it is moraly wrong to kill someone, right? If we didn't think it was wrong we wouldn't want to punish them. Then, if we think killing someone is wrong why is the death penalty even used? You're doing the exact same thing as the people you're killing. Having the law on your side doesn't make it moraly right, killing a person is still wrong. The only case in which I'm in favour of killing someone is in self-defense. If I have to choose between me or the person who's trying to harm me, I'll choose me and I shouldn't be blamed for that. Of course, it has to be real self-defense, one has to prove it, it can't be murder desguised as self-defense. And don't even say that the death penalty is similar to self-defense because it isn't. Putting someone to death because he/she might escape and kill again is preventive punishment (you're killing a murderer because he MIGHT kill again if he isn't put to death) not a form of self-defense.

Going back to the 'mentally unstable criminals' subject. I just wanted to add that I don't condone temporary insanity. Someone who is truly mentally diseased isn't really responsible for what he/she does but a person who kills because he/she lost control (aka temporary insanity) is, in my opinion, responsable for the deed. It doesn't mean I think that person should be judged as harshly as a serial killer but that's exactly why things are judged on a case by case basis.