The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.3.8 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Import Anime Forums
Man, it's been so long since I've seen any new R1 rips. - Printable Version

+- Import Anime Forums (https://import-anime.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Anime/HK DVD Discussion (https://import-anime.com/forums/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Anime Discussion (https://import-anime.com/forums/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Man, it's been so long since I've seen any new R1 rips. (/thread-1215.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Man, it's been so long since I've seen any new R1 rips. - Berserker - 05-14-2003

http://www.rightstuf.com/

Vicious is right, rightstuf has some really good deals in their weekly specials. I got my Arc the Lad set, that I had been looking for for quite sometime, off of their for $60.

I usually only support R1 companies if their releases are affordable, or if I want see an R1 rip of that anime anytime soon (ex. just about any Gundam)

I agree with kak, $17 is ridiculous for Blue Gender...of course I have the whole set (R1), but I didn't think there would be a R1 rip. :?

Man, it's been so long since I've seen any new R1 rips. - johnkillingsworth - 05-14-2003

I mostly pick up R1 just because there aren't decent R1 rips available. Sad, but true. Most companies have obscene prices, specifically Lain and Escaflowne. I know this anime stuff is really popular and still in its 'cool' phase, but gimme a break. I guess companies have to make money somehow. All I ask is they back up their greed with a little more substance.

When a series is decently priced or goes on sale I will generally pick it up in R1 format or if it's just that cool.

Man, it's been so long since I've seen any new R1 rips. - kakomu - 05-14-2003

I don't buy R1 DVDs to support companies. I can't believe what you guys are saying, "I usually only support R1 companies if their releases are affordable". Does that mean you buy R1s solely to support them? I think that's mighty odd rhetoric otherwise. I buy R1s to support my need for anime, and nothing more and only when it's cheap, a single DVD/movie or such a good price (Tenchi Movies 1-3 for $14 a piece, that's a good price). Anyways, considering all the anime companies own the copyrights to the respective animes, it's a monopoly for each series, and there's nothing we can do. Competitive pricing is when you have two companies with the same product vying for your service. Low anime DVD prices are the anime companies being nice enough to fuck us too much.

Lastly, $100 for TNG seasons doesn't cut it, I want $60 seasons. Those boxes and DVDs don't cost $100 to make...more like $5.

Man, it's been so long since I've seen any new R1 rips. - yakumo - 05-15-2003

I'm been collecting GTO and Berserk on R1, and goddamit if though its expensive I'm ahppy l got them, my little beatuties

Man, it's been so long since I've seen any new R1 rips. - kakoi_sugoi_yama - 05-15-2003

I barely buy R1s now. After finding out about HK why would I? I'm from the same generation of anime fan as morgorath. Back when you had a friend who had a friend who could get a copy of this, and you get a tenth generation copy. When that was going on the prices for tapes were outrageous! $40.00 for a couple episodes of BGC what the hell?! America has been steadily screwing the anime fan, because they know that you can't get it anywhere else, so why not jack a price up to $30 someone out there will buy it. Confusedweatdrop:

I don't support R1 companies because they have never done anything for me. Confusedweatdrop:

Man, it's been so long since I've seen any new R1 rips. - DanTheQueenFan - 05-15-2003

Quote:I'm from the same generation of anime fan as morgorath. Back when you had a friend who had a friend who could get a copy of this, and you get a tenth generation copy.

Or you could be like me, And mooch off of your brother! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Man, it's been so long since I've seen any new R1 rips. - kakoi_sugoi_yama - 05-15-2003

I could if he bought any. Confusedweatdrop:

Man, it's been so long since I've seen any new R1 rips. - Steve_the_Talking_Pie - 05-15-2003

Let's keep away from this R1 company support, because I'll beat out any argument you through out against R1 companies. Sad but true, people who don't buy R1's have just plain wrong attitudes. No way around it. Though if you want to go, show me your kill face!!!!

Man, it's been so long since I've seen any new R1 rips. - kakomu - 05-15-2003

Well I have to ask you this. When you walk to the store looking to buy a DVD, in your mind are you thinking "Gee, I hope this $XX goes to a good cause for the company of this movie" or are you thinking something along the lines of "I can't wait to watch this"? I would say many people would think the latter more than the former. You all talk about being poor consumers or whatever for not supporting the anime companies, but a good consumer weighs their options and buys something they have a need for. Buying something solely to support the maker of the product is being a bad consumer.

Man, it's been so long since I've seen any new R1 rips. - Steve_the_Talking_Pie - 05-15-2003

Wow you are beyond off. Yeah, I look forward to watching a DVD. If I wanted to purely support a company I would just send them my pay checks. I buy R1 anime for fun but it helps the people who create them. First off, Matt Greenfield is the founder of AD Vision. He helped bring anime to the American scene. He was releasing tapes with subtitles and hard plastic cases. Now that anime is cheap by bootleggs, should we turn our back on him? Fuck him, like some said on Animeniacs forums. Hell no, I said that I hope he steals your silverware late at night.

Look whether you like it or not, R1 companies are a business. You see Kakomu, you are a student in all fairness, who probably is studying and not making much economic output. I'd like you to make a something, like a fruit stand. You go to a farm and buy the apples and oranges. You play by the rules and sell your stuff at a fair price. People come and buy from you.

I come along and steal the fruit from the same farm. Naturally my prices are cheaper because I don't have to pay the middleman. People flock to me and you lose mass amounts of business.

You see my point. You'd bitch too if it didn't benefit you at all. When you have a family to feed and anything screws you, you'll feel a little different.

On a side note, as much as I rant about being ethical, I think the worrying of R1 prices "sucking", is just plain dumb. A) if you want equality on everything go to Russia and see how that lasts B) We live in the comfortable Western World. I'm more worried about global issues or my own personal man hunts to think of something as silly as worrying how to get anime dirt cheap.

Man, it's been so long since I've seen any new R1 rips. - Berserker - 05-15-2003

Back to the topic of this thread...

There is a MI R1-rip of Gundam Wing out right now! CJV has it. Big Grin

Man, it's been so long since I've seen any new R1 rips. - morgorath - 05-15-2003

Steve said
Quote:On a side note, as much as I rant about being ethical, I think the worrying of R1 prices "sucking", is just plain dumb. A) if you want equality on everything go to Russia and see how that lasts B) We live in the comfortable Western World. I'm more worried about global issues or my own personal man hunts to think of something as silly as worrying how to get anime dirt cheap.

Bravo Stevo... Look to piggy back on that yes we live in this wonderful Western World that thrives on big business. But on that note the licensing rights that these companies have should be better handed. Now Steve you?re not wrong any way at least in my view... But let's get real paying $6 dollars an episode is pretty big... just by having 5 episodes on a disk would make it around... $4 an episode saying the R1 costs 20 bucks...

I buy R1's to support the companies. Yes I do I want them to keep bring the stuff here to us in America. I don't do it for what you are talking about kakomu because if I couldn't wait to see it I'd buy the HK sets so I can watch the whole story from start to finish. Hell stories like Hellsing leave you at such climax you are begging for the next episode... hell Schultz downloaded them so we could see the end...

R1's support the companies and are top quality... HK quick, easy, cheap, and you get it all with a mix bag...

Man, it's been so long since I've seen any new R1 rips. - kakoi_sugoi_yama - 05-17-2003

I don't like many R1 companies. The only one that is truely decent in my eye is Animego. Thier DVDs are very affordable. Saying that by buying the R1's you support the creator/s makes me want to laugh. They see absoulutely none of the money made by an american company. They are paid for it when the licence is aquired from them. After that all revenues made on said product are property solely of the american company.

Man, it's been so long since I've seen any new R1 rips. - Steve_the_Talking_Pie - 05-17-2003

Ahhhhh I never said anything about supporting creators. I talked about the owners of companies.

Creators are effected. If nobody buys their licensed series, people would assume that future series would not be worthy of licensing.

Man, it's been so long since I've seen any new R1 rips. - Vicious - 05-17-2003

Kakoi, I actually think ADV's stuff is the most affordable. Animeigo's prices aren't any lower than anyone elses and it's hard to get their stuff from most retailers, thus eliminating any third party discount.