Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Saber Rider and Star Sheriffs..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Was wondering the other day if anyone knew if this series was going to be released on DVD anytime soon..I emailed the Japanese company (studio periot?), but never got a reply. Thanx in advance :wink:
No clue, Rei.. I'd never heard much about the show so I looked it up in my encyclopedia.. Thought the entry might amuse you guys:

The new frontier is an untamed region of space where the only law is the Star Sheriffs. from its space station, a team of brave young people--Saber Rider, Colt, Fireball, and April-- ride out in their sheriff-shaped giant robot to defend the galaxy from bad guys like the Outrider. Before "versioning" for the US market, where, with is wild west theme, it was inevitably headed, SR&tSS was set in the solar system, where the alien Desula invaders had conquered Ganymede, and earth was defended by all-japanese hero Shinji and his buddies, whose names were regarded (by the japanese) as suitably western--Bill, Richard, Marian, and Walter. When the series was altered for US comsumption, story editor Marc Handler (who went on to produce Voltron) had to make teen Texan Colt into the hero and sideline the original lead, Japanese kid Fireball, resulting in some hilarious scenes where other characters are looking at Fireball but supposedly listening to Colt. He also had problems with the amount of teenage drinking in the original, editing out all drunken behavior and moving many scenes from saloons to the "coffee shops" and "soda fountains" that were so much a part of the old west.

lol... Well, I hope there's a japanese rip done because the US version sure sounds like crap..

BTW, the Japanese name for this series would be Seijushi Bismarck, or Star Gunner Bismarck. There are 52 eps. Good luck!
whoa, Saber rider. That brings back memories!

I remember there was a dubbed version and they showed it on YTV several years ago. Anybody have additional info on this anime? Was it popular in Japan?