Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Evangelion = Wierd Super Robot Anime
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey folks. I've been delving into Getter Robo lately (up to episode 21, Disc 3 Smile ) and Iw as jsut thinking about how this show and EVA are so much a like. And I came to the conclusion that Evangelion is just a Super Robot anime with a mask of wierdness to cover that up. Think about it.
Evangelion had a new villian each show, and no two were alike. Each presented a new challege that the EVA pilots had to adapt too. Just like how in Getter Robo a new Mechosaur pops up and the Getter team have to find a way to destroy it.
Anyways, just me bashing EVA again. I hate when people consider it an "epic." I thought it was just terrible, and now I know it's jsut a SUper Robot anime disguising itself with religious conotations.
Evangelion had profound degrees of character analysis, symbolism, and philosophical merit. Reminiscent of Bergman, its strength primarily comes from its offhanded ability to allegorically embody human flaws and traits in its characters; the examination of which culminates in a captivating debate of the most important uncertainty of all, why we strive to exist.

The fact that it was a mecha anime in the first place was its weak point.

Btw, if anyone can't tell, college has completely ruined my ability to type in non-research paper format, lol.
College'll do that to you!

Did you guys know that The story for Eva was written by the creator and only produced as an anime and manga AFTER his death. There were no real pics of what anyone or anything in the show or comic from the creator! WILD STUFF HUH? :wink:
Then maybe it was the director that got all the death threats after Death and Rebirth were released. From some official sources I heard fans weren't happy, and they were sending him death threats - hence the creation of End of Eva.
Well since the first was just a long recap instead of an actual movie, it's understandable they were pissed. I would have been. Actually I was but 5 min later I watched the last one and all was forgotten. :mrgreen:
I agree that people hold eva to highly. I didn't hate it, but by no means is it my absoulute favorite. It really was just a Mecha show. It just tried to hard in my opinion. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin I still love it though, I am in no way bashing it so don't get on my case. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
I'm right about where you are actually kakoi. I like quite a few animes better (namely bebop, trigun, escaflowne) I'm just saying that it did have some redeemable value beyond just being a big fight the monster of the week giant robo special.
Exactly. I feel the same way. It definitely has good qualities. You guys who haven't seen it yet should by all means go watch the show. Big Grin