Import Anime Forums

Full Version: What's the worst that you've been ripped off for a HK DVD?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Back in the days of yonder when I was a naive young man who saw only good intentions in everyone in the world, I had not discovered such great places as Import Anime and Animeniacs. So, I went to animeworks.com.

Ok, now somebody top this one.

I bought Nausicaa from them (AS One movie - Single disc) for......

$74.84!!! (Including shipping)[/siz]

I thought I was getting a good deal because I had no idea what bootlegs were then, that was of course, until I saw the entire Ghibli collection for under $40 on other sites.

How my stomach sank....

Anybody else get ripped off bad?
I was so excited when I first found out about HK DVD's. I found them through a search about the show Berserk. I found this place that sold the entire show for $120 dollars! I was so happy. I resolved at that point to save my money and buy it, but about a week later on the net I just happened to be looking around and I found the site www.animeniacs.com. I thought that his prices were wrong, so I sent him an e-mail asking him, and he assured me that his prices were in fact right. So I never actually spent the money, and have been on a crusade ever since telling people about import-anime and the site that led me here in the first place animeniacs. I feel so sorry for you, but like the saying goes "Now you know and knowing is half the battle". Seriously that does blow. They charged you region 2 prices for an HK. The people should be beaten.

Sorry about the rant. :roll: Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
I payed $60 for an MI vhs rip of the first 36 episodes of rurouni kenshin on four discs before I found out about this site. I was so pissed when I discovered a 6 disc 48 episode set for less. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Bah, I payed $60 for the FX Escaflowne and found it a day later for less than $40 with the movie included. sux0r
Ouch! but it still dosn't beat Duragon story, that was crazy, one disc for 74.84!? 8O 8O 8O Now that is truely being ripped off. (although I don't think that it is anything to brag about)
Quote:Originally posted by "kakoi_sugoi_yama"

I was so excited when I first found out about HK DVD's. I found them through a search about the show Berserk. I found this place that sold the entire show for $120 dollars! I was so happy. I resolved at that point to save my money and buy it, but about a week later on the net I just happened to be looking around and I found the site www.animeniacs.com. I thought that his prices were wrong, so I sent him an e-mail asking him, and he assured me that his prices were in fact right. So I never actually spent the money, and have been on a crusade ever since telling people about import-anime and the site that led me here in the first place animeniacs. I feel so sorry for you, but like the saying goes "Now you know and knowing is half the battle". Seriously that does blow. They charged you region 2 prices for an HK. The people should be beaten.

Sorry about the rant. :roll: Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Yes, I am also attempting to spread the word of this kick ass site.
I payed $60 for the Cowboy Bebop collection, then a couple of weeks later i found it here for like $36...Grrrrrrrrrr
I paid £20 on Ebay for a copy of AS Fruits Basket, probably the single most shit that i have ever ever brought, I was pissed..

that was before i knew about this place too
hey Yakumo, how much is that in U.S. dollars
I think its around $30-40, its not much but its the only dud I brought
Wow, those are some hard pills to take and with out water no less, Anyways I think the biggest rip off I have seen was when Schultz bought Gundam X, It was complete crap... Then I got when he got his FX version Damn shitty Chinnese Subs...
Well, I saw some on ebay. I almost went we Hakusho but decided on Maison Ikkoku. I spent about $90 on the set, and then $18 for shipping. Back then I didn't have paypal so I had to spend money on a Western Union Transfer. It cost me an extra $22. So in total $130 for the set and a month's wait for it to come from Hong Kong. :mrgreen:
that beats my story 8O
I think Duragons story takes the cake, but he should have at least did a little research before getting the dvd, Nausicaa hasnt been even released on R2 DVD, Studio Ghibli hasnt even announce an official release date yet.

As for me I've never really gotten scammed on a HKDVD purchase, guess I was lucky but I did buy the Cowboy Bebop MI set, worst subs I've ever seen but its not useless anymore ever since I've discovered DVDsubber.
what is dvdsubber :?: :?: :?: tell more
Pages: 1 2