Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Woes about End of Evangelion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
*possible spoilers*

Well guys, I just bought the proper R1 End of Evangelion, it was the first time I'd watched it, and when nearing the end, was comfortably reassured that I still had the Death and Rebirth DVD to make my way through, and that this wasn't REALLY the ending after all (Since Death and Rebirth is the "movie")

but no.
Da me! Cry

I discovered that Death is actually a remix of clips from the series... and Rebirth was an exact copy of less than half of the movie I had just finished watching!! :x Am I the only person who was disappointed? Seemingly Gainax had just set their editors to work on Death and Rebirth and nothing more, there was seemingly nothing extra added...

And also, the End of Evangelion R1 has a bonus dvd... the entire movie all over again with points where you can stop and open up a text dialogue to see an explanation about the point where you stopped, it also has an interview with the ENGLISH Ayanami Rei.... no Japanese audio in sight, which makes the "bonus" dvd a massive disappointment, as the English dub cannot compare to the sheer emotion of the original Japanese. :?

Makes me wish I had of bought the HKDVD, I would have got the same content I actually wanted, at half the price. Sad

Wonders if someone can tie some loose ends about the actual End of Evangelion Ending for him :roll:
Evangelion is a complex series on it's own merits because Anno was literally mentally breaking down while making the series, .. you can see his mental state progress deeper into his own hell as the show goes on. But those complexities can only be taken so far, as the show and movie when looked passed these supposed "complexities" is rather straightforward and answers all the questions that need to be answered. The show and movie can only be so complex as you look into it, because it's such a weird nature on it's own.

Getting back to the death theory.. [That Shinji is killed between episodes 1 and 2 in his first battle with an Angel. Everything from EVA-01 turning Berzerker for the first time to the EoE movie ending is his own interpretation of Hell, and TV episodes 25 and 26 are his Heaven] Shinji didn't take much damage that battle, the head was injured through the eye and back of it, but where is the pilot Located folks, not in the head of the unit eye socket of the unit thats for sure. Other than that, a broken wrist which was regenerated during that same battle.

Evangelion is simply the end of the world lying in the hands of the most unlikely of heros, a boy abandoned by his father only to be called to save the earth by that same man, who in his own perspective is afraid of love and therefore pushes Shinji away, but he loves his son dearly and is proud of him, but fears showing those feelings. Shinji is by no means a complex character, rather one who suffers from lack of self esteem, shyness, rudeness, fear of attachment, fear of the world and depression from his childhood. He is riddled with all these things and than add the burden of saving the world and all mankind to the formula, and when it does Shinji cracks, every episode he falls deeper into his own hell like Gendou.

The meaning of the series? Well, it's not that complex either.. the fate of the world lies in the hands of these children, destroy the angels save man and allow him to evolve to something greater than they are. Man can not allow itself to be whiped out by something other than it's own progress, therefore the angels, although 99.9 percent human, are in the way of mans evolutionary progress. So what does a human do when faced with something it does not want in it's way? Destroy it, so man wages war against the angels, the beings sent to earth to cleanse mankind of it's sins, but man would rather have it done by their own hands.

As far as the movie goes.. the movie takes place in the time span of the last two episodes. While Shinji is moping around and loathing through the entire movie, he's in deep thought finding himself, and when the last two episodes end, is when Shinji decides to return the earth to it's original state, and leaves only Asuka and himself to live (reference to Adam and Eve) to repopulate the earth, to see if mankind can rise to the top again and do things better this time around. Personally I see nothing complex at all about the series and the movie, it's relatively straightforward if you ask me.
Thanks alot for taking the time to clear that up for me Suzakuseikun
Smile I didn't realise that alot of it was so simple, perhaps I was looking into it too much... however, though some questions for me still remain unanswered. :? Perhaps due to lack of attention on my part...

First and foremost... who are SEELE and why do they so eagerly seek the end of mankind and oppose NERV? (Having once supported the NERV project, and Ikari) I didn't understand their motive.

About Rei... was she engineered by Ikari? Or adopted and cloned to produce those empty vessels used for the entry plugs?

Does everyone die because of the Anti-AT field created by the EVA's and Shinji? That must mean that all lifeforms have an AT field like the 5th child explains, but why do all lifeforms have an AT (Absolute Terror) field? It sounds kinda odd due to the meaning of the abbreviation Sad

At the absolute end, where Shinji and Asuka are lying by the shore, is there any reason why Shinji still intends on strangling Asuka like in his dream? Why did he choose her to repopulate the planet when he seemed to be more attracted to Rei throughout the series? Was the "disgusting feeling" he felt (last words of the movie) love, hate, regret?

Wakaranai! :?
Personally I felt shinji didn't have much attachment to Rei. Shinji and Asuka "hated" each other. It was just a cover for how much they actually cared for one another. Personally I didn't find EVA to be as deep as everyone said it was. I liked how it turned out if you replace the last two episodes with thier movie replacement. It was a much better end that way in my opinion. Big Grin 8O 8O 8O 8O
Yes everyone dieng is the only way it could end. Too bad the guy who created Eva died way before it was even considered to be animated. Then maybe our questions would have had some real answers.
I don't really have any questions about it. Although I would like to know what his mind was going through when he made it. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
AIDS!!!!! 8O :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I don't think that is quite what he had in mind. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
:roll: Riiiiight! Oh well, guess I'll never know... Cry
Just cause the creator is dead dosen't mean you can't enjoy the series. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Oh I can enjoy the series just fine Big Grin But my mind will never be at rest until the burden of these taxing questions are lifted from it Sad