Import Anime Forums

Full Version: When you call yourself an Otaku, what do you mean by it?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm post this message here instead of babble in hopes that we can (or you guys can atlest because it's 2:51 & I'm about to get off for today) hold an actual discussion.

When you call yourself an Otaku, what do you mean by it?

I have heard Otaku to mean, no life, only anime, but then there are those who use it when it only fignifys they like one show or Genre (heysi).

Now, from my point of view, an Otaku would be one who cannot stand to go without Anime no matter how childish it may be. Which I go by, & therefore call myself, an Otaku. Although with some of the jokes for shows I've heard lately, it some times almost makes me want to bend this defintion of mine, just slightly.

Sorry if there are many misspells, messed up grammar, ect. ect. ect.ec t.ecgt.ddsvte. Falling asleep, forgetting topic.

So please post your opinions.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Otaku here in North America is used as a "cool" way of anime watchers that think they are so smart to tell each other apart ;p

in Japan this term is also used for Nerd... all that thing about No life etc etc is just deviation of translation of being a Nerd ;p

<-- is not an Otaku, though watches anime (onces in a blue moon)
The litteral translation of Otaku is house or home. In japan it started being used as slang like Joe the Almighty has explained, for people who don't leave their rooms for anything except the bathromm and school. It is used for this reason because a japanese Otaku is nothing an American Otaku is like. Otakus here are panzees compared to a Japanese one. Over there the "otakus" have a computer with the net logged on, a tv with some anime or video game playing while they are on the net, and stacks of books piled high EVERYWHERE in the room, and mind you their rooms are TINY. They only leave the room if they have too and they stay in "otaku" mode from the time they wake until possibly the same time 2 DAYS LATER before they got back to sleep. Being called an Otaku in Japan is actually taken as an insult. So if you go there it's wise not to say it towards someone or about yourself as if it were "cool" because over there it isn't a cool thing to be called.
Sounds like me.
I'm well aware of the negative conotations of the word but English is notorious for taking words that belittle and making it the exact opposite. Such as when we say, "that is bad!" We actually mean it is good. Anyway, back on topic...

I call myself an otaku but not in the literal sense. I would only call myself this to other anime fans and that is actually what I'm saying by calling myself Otaku. I'm merely saying I'm a fan of Anime.

I'm far too busy to be a REAL otaku.

Kaioshane 8)
Quote:Originally posted by "Suzakuseikun"

Sounds like me.

Except for the books part. Just kidding. 8^p
Well obviously theres all kinds of otakus in Japan, like Car Otakus, Video game Otakus, TV Otakus, food Otakus, it's just being an obsessed fan of something. In America it's used to exclusively speak of any fans. I don't feel that having a large anime collection, makes you an otaku. I feel that it comes when you start to enjoy anime immensely, and have it become a serious part of your life. It first happened to me when I was in Geometry class on Mondays and I was thinking about the episode of Maison Ikkoku that I had watched that Sunday night. When lecture got boring I replayed dialogue in my head, and planned out other series I would like to see (I got a 95 in that class, so I could day dream :mrgreen: )
Quote:Originally posted by "Steve_the_Talking_Pie"

Suzakuseikun Wrote:Sounds like me.

Except for the books part. Just kidding. 8^p

If you only saw the cabinet beside me. It's almost impossible to close because of all the books stacked inside.
The sad thing about me is I watch anime way faster than I can buy it, so inbetween series I have a slight falling out of likeing it. As for the description of an Otaku I've heard so far, well everyother day I'm on the internet over 12 hours (everyother day because my dad said everyday would be too much time wasted), also, yes I do sometimes play my PS2 while chatting to people, but never when I'm just surfing, unless mour connection is bogged down & it's taking 5 min.s to laod a page. As for books, I don't read them, but I sure as heck try to write them.

All my fellow calssmates call me a nerd, & I don't disagree. *bows*
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
First off Batz I have missed you.
Second since we are sharing let me share this with you. When I was assigned to Kadena AB, Japan. I was already a fan of Anime. My library although small had some complete gems hidden it. (Ask Schultz I had the KOR set complete with OVA and Movie he still has my OVA tape) Anyways at that time I didn't know the true difference between Ohio and Kombuwa.
After I started work at the Fire Dept the locals learned of my "Love" for anime. Schultz help by showing me series I had only heard of. But the local (Japanese) fire fighters and I formed some solid friendships. It was then Mr Hayashi said, "Otaku get over here" I looked around and said who are you talking to and Mr Shimajiri said, "You Otakie" It is now my Nickname in the Fire Dept. I later learned that only those truly accepted by the locals receive nicknames. Only after I talked to Mr Ishikawa did I learn the meaning of the word. At first I took offense, but I felt better knowing I had a nickname. Schultz filled me in on it's meaning to other Anime fans.
Now I don't know if someone who watches Toonami should call them self an "Otaku" but I feel Toonami is like a Drug Dealer. They introduce this idea that cartoons can tell a story from point A to point B and that it's not a never ending repetitive show like the American Cartoons. That just maybe they will get online and find out about shows like Ranma 1/2, Slayers, or Kenshin.
A Otaku must be open to new anime. And be willing to share what they have to others and introducing new people to the art and stories we all love.

I am so sorry it was so long so please Batz, Steve or Kakoi rip this Soap box out from underneath me...
Nicely put everyone. Personally I love anime more than anyone I know, but will not call myself an "Otaku". I guess I don't feel I fall into that category. Although when I have spare time I am either playing a game or watching an anime. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Admit it. You're an otaku. Same it with me now. O-T-A-K-U. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Quote:I was in Geometry class on Mondays and I was thinking about the episode of Maison Ikkoku that I had watched that Sunday night. When lecture got boring I replayed dialogue in my head, and planned out other series I would like to see

Haha..I do that same thing! Often if I am hellishly bored or am in class my thoughts will go off into anime or something of that nature. Like I will think about something I watched previously. Or I will start cracking up out of nowhere because I will begin to replay something funny on tv or a movie in my head and I will laugh out of nowhere and everyone will just be like.. "why are you laughing?" Haha..yeah I am odd.
Take care,
~Todd
At least I'm not alone. :wink:
Hey don't forget Me!!! I'm an odd one too. You think I look like my Avatar? Well I do, except I am Purple with green eyes. So there! Hows that for strange? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Pages: 1 2