Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Afro Samurai
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just finished watching the first episode of this new series featuring the vocal talents of Samuel Jackson. It's the first show I've seen that I feel can compete with Ninja Scroll for well done graphic violence. I have seen some shows that have better stories and some with better action but this one goes over the top with the gore in a few scenes in a delightful way.

Looking forward to the next episode to come out.
While it probably won't, it could still get a better story. It's only on episode one. The fight scenes are really cool though. It surprised me considering it's airing on tv. Look forward to future episodes.

Also surprised me SLJ isn't the samurai. Wonder who the dude he voices is.
The fights are fine, but this show feels like its trying to hard to be cool when it should just be cool.

I can't put my finger on it but the whole thing seems forced, and forced cool is never somethign I thought id have to see from Samuel L, Snakes On A Plane, Jackson
Is it a cartoon or an anime? When/where is it on? The title is pretty intriguing, not to mention anything with SLJ is pretty damn cool :p .
It's an anime produced by Gonzo being made simultaneously for a Japanese audience and American audience. The US release is being backed by Spike TV and SLJ is doing the voices for both of the main characters in the show. I would like to hear the Japanese audio as the English dubs suffer from horrible dubs disease and I imagine the Japanese talent has more experience with voice acting for cartoons. The English dubs are overacted which is typical of dubs here. I wish whoever was in charge of the dubbing understood the benefit of refined voice acting as found in shows like Cowboy Bebop or Ninja Scroll.

I still look forward to the next two episodes though. In spite of the mediochre English dubs.
I just ended up watching an episode on it. Not too sure what to think about it yet. Though i did setup a tivo recorded on it so will have to watch a few more episodes of it.
I finished watching both movies of Afro Samurai and they were just great.