Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Even more Kurosawa
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here is yet another Kurosawa thread,

I just bought the new 3disc edition of seven samurai criterion just released, if there ever was the ultimate kurosawa dvd this is it! Any fan is ferrociously urged to getting this. I also just bought and watched the bad sleep well, a remarkably powerful film but its kurosawa so what do you expect. Using elements of hamlet my favorite tradegy as well as political intrigue and film noir, but if youve seen throne of blood expect a similarly bleek ending. High recommendation another awesome movie to my Kuro-fune collection.
Has anyone seen Ikuru, the quiet duel, or red beard?
geo85 Wrote:Here is yet another Kurosawa thread,

I just bought the new 3disc edition of seven samurai criterion just released, if there ever was the ultimate kurosawa dvd this is it! Any fan is ferrociously urged to getting this. I also just bought and watched the bad sleep well, a remarkably powerful film but its kurosawa so what do you expect. Using elements of hamlet my favorite tradegy as well as political intrigue and film noir, but if youve seen throne of blood expect a similarly bleek ending. High recommendation another awesome movie to my Kuro-fune collection.
Has anyone seen Ikuru, the quiet duel, or red beard?

Seen Ikuru and Red Beard, both great as you'd expect... I think Red Beard is based on Shakespear too, not sure which one... Richard III, I think... BBC4 here in England showed all his films in chronological order a while back, I recorded most of them as he's got pretty bad rep on DVD in the UK...

I knew Criterion did a special Edition 7S a while back, didn't know they'd rereleased a better version, thanks for the heads up!!

My fave film he did was Rhapsody in August, I seem to prefer his quieter more thoughtful works

Krooner
how much was your collection i wanted to get it but i havnt found a good deal
Criterion suggests insane pricess for their dvd's and only in Kurosawas case would I say such prices are worth it, but if you to dvdempire or deepdiscountdvd they both offer reasonable deals on his dvds, the new 3disc set you could get for around 32 from deep and I think empires price goes up and down with availibility usually around 34. Most of the kurosawa dvds are 30 but some run 22 depending where you go. I will say this, each and every one of kurosawas films is worth the price and more so if you are unsure about one of his films because of the price you wont be dissapointed.

As it stands now I have seen and own
Stray dog
Seven samurai
Throne of blood
Hidden fortress
The bad sleep well
Yokimbo
Sanjuro

I have seen Rashomon but even though its a powerful and exceptional Kurosawa film its not a movie I have any desire to watch again.

I also just ordered the lower depths and high and low.
I just finished watching Kurosawas the lower depths and am in the process of wathcing Renoirs version, all I can say is its one of kurosawas best. Definitly top five and the improv edo period rap by the despots is absolutley hillarious and immensly entertaining, it ends with a bang and even thats sarcastic. Extreme urgent recomend.

Next is high and low.
I love watching Kurosawa's films and you are right the criterion collections are expensive. My favorite has always been Dreams. I would love to own an ultimate edition of that movie.