Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Screw MAC and their DVD5's!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just picked up Slayers Try-the damn discs even say "Single sided Double layer", that's a DVD9. Put em' in DVDShrink-guess what? 3.7 gigs-not even the full 4.7 gigs a DVD5 has-result? Shitty video!! MAC should be horsewhipped for this crap! The older R1 rips that didn't have the english dub were on DVD9s-a standard 3 disc set. I think I'm gonna stop buying MAC sets if they keep pulling this shit. The really bad part is that the older MAC sets were on DVD9s.
thats nothing new they have been using dvd5 lately.
Any sets in particular to avoid???

Krooner
Krooner Wrote:Any sets in particular to avoid???

Krooner

Anything printed in the last few months or so. They still insist they have invented some new technique that allows them to do it without loss. Don't get me started on the fake 5.1 crap either.
all thier newer stuff is DVD-9, unless its a multi set like 1 D-9, & 1 D-5

Older sets still are circulating with the old 5's in it. Slayers..eh should have gotten the MI rips. B
Heck-anymore if I want R1 rips I just rent em' from Netflix and make em' myself-if it's a DVD9 I use a dl blank-no compression prpblems.
actually what bmvtoys said is wrong all their new stuff (for the most part) is DVD 5 cus they want to short change the consumer

after i got a new print of their bebop set for a friend and was so incredibly dissatisfied i refuse to buy mac at all anymore.

It was so bad it was below VHS quality i mean far below it was even below videocamera in theater quality.

I was disgusted and demanded my money back and got it.

Just buy EZDVD stuff or old FX stuff of course you can always ask a site if they have older versions or newer ones. Thats just what i have done when i asked about FX stuff sometimes.

All in all id say if it really comes down to having to buy a new MAC set because they are the only ones who produce it then DL the fansubs burn the r1's heck find a good sale and buy the R1's rent them whatever

just stay far far away from mac sets that are new
Yeah, not exactly on the same subject, but I've noticed something.

I stopped buying anime for about half a year, but I still kept my eye open for a few good sets. Now that I have a debt card & am wanting to buy those sets I've gotten around to checking the reviews. A lot of the reviews will give the video a 4/5 & then explain how horrible the microblocking & that sort of thing is. Are these people just giving a bad review, or is that the norm these days?
Of all the sets I've ever bought only two had problems; one was a faulty disc, & the other was that 5 movies on 2 dvd set; they played perfectly the first time & have refused to play, or those that still play haven't play correctly, ever since.

I don't see why anyone would say that the video is a 4/5 and then say that certain portions of certain episodes won't play.
As of late I`ve watched all of Gantz, half of Saiyuki:reload and half of Scrapped Princess from MAC and the video was good to me.The only problem I found on these sets are some jaggy line noise and some distortion on slow panning shots.I`m watching theses on a 53 inch widescreen tv so theses miner issues aren`t a problem considering the price payed and there bootlegs.
it used to be easy u could buy an FX set and you pretty much expected near perfection...

that was the rule of course there are exceptions

now its become more hit and miss although EZDVD seems to be a great most of the time at least i havnt been dissapointed yet
I've recently watched MACs Fullmetal Alchemist part 1 on DVD5s and can honestly say that picturewise it was better than the EZ on DVD9s! Both had pixilation issues, but MAC dropped the extras and the 5.1 feed resulting in a better picture overall!

I can't say for sure but I think the video is interlaced and this is what's saving them the space on discs... in addition an interlaced picture does look better on an anamorphic widescreen display so perhaps the best place to put these two sets head to head would be a moniter??

I can't say I blame MAC for putting this out on the cheaper 5's seeing asthough they're going to reissue it when the series completes it's R1 DVD run anyway I guess it's bad business to be lumbered with a load of "Part 1" sets that no one wants... I suspect the reissued sets to be on 9's but I guess we'll only know that come october-ish time...

Krooner
Krooner Wrote:in addition an interlaced picture does look better on an anamorphic widescreen display

Im not expert but I don't think that's true. Progressive will always beat interlaced.
I won't disagree with you there ProgScan is very nice, but adds capacity rather than saves it, when I'm authoring my own DVDs I always interlace the display but sometime on some of my friend setups the resultant discs look a dog...

I wasn't actually saying the it's the best available picture, I was just saying how it would look better on a widescreen display, than on a 4:3 one... If you read some of the reviews for discs here you read about "Jaggered lines" and such... this is a by product of interlacing, the reviewers would more than likely eradicate it by switching the dispaly ratio of thier DVD players to 16:9 but obviously they'd lose the sides of the picture and most likely a few words from the subtitles...

Krooner
I have 6 dvd players including 3 upscaleing ones-and belive me it looks just as shitty at 1080I as 480P or 720P-conclusion? Highly compressed mpeg2 video is full of artifacts, macroblocking-just looks crappy, I made a dvd from fansubs of Strawberry Marshmallow and it looks very good. I understand that the R1's of Slayers weren't that good looking to begin with-but jeez! I have a 4 disc set of Slayers Next by Anime Studio (another variation of MAC), all dvd9's-it looks just like the r1's from which it was ripped-so don't tell me they can't do it-they just don't want to. Like I said I'll just rent em' from Netflix or where ever and rip em' myself.